NMH....oh, I mean Button Mash 5000

thechi444

WiiChat Member
Jan 24, 2008
Yes another comment about NMH. I rented this game, and I'm glad I did. So far, this game is very repetitive and extremely aggravating. I mean, it should of been called button mash 5,000. Please tell me something else happens in the game that takes away from this button mashing. On top of that, all the driving around is a complete waste of time and I think the only reason they put all that in there was to make up for the loss of substance from just mashing away. I will give it this, No More Heroes has good style and the storyline is trendy in a Kill Bill kinda way. In short, if you love playing the same boss over and over again doing the same moves to kill them, than get this game. I think the major reason critics gave this game a good review was because of the storyline and style. The gameplay falls short, but the style and storyline may keep you going. I would have to agree with the GI review.

Last edited:
I respect your opinion and all but I don't think it's a button masher. sure, you press A a lot of times but it's not exactly to the button mashing point. And on the boss fights you can't button mash to win......I personally love the game, and so did Adam (X-Play)

Shoko said:
I respect your opinion and all but I don't think it's a button masher. sure, you press A a lot of times but it's not exactly to the button mashing point. And on the boss fights you can't button mash to win......I personally love the game, and so did Adam (X-Play)

good to hear another side.....on that note, for the bosses, it's more like hit, hit, hit, run away and charge your weapon, dodge to the side, hit, hit, hit, run away and charge your weapon. While trying to grab your opponent here and there to pull a wrestling move.

Last edited:
^I've never had to do that. You actually don't have to charge it up a lot, since there's those battery things you can pick up. Matter-of-fact, I didn't charge it up once during the whole 1st level, including the boss fight.

LOL wait till you get to the 3rd boss! Before you call it a button masher beat it. Very simple yet not a push over... just the way a brawler should be. I'm wondering why is it aggravating though? Is it too hard? I think the fighting works, so does lots of other players?

it starts out as a button masher, but as you progress you have to get out of your little comfort zone and come up with strategies, especially with the last two bosses. They block and dodge A LOT.

The game was made more of an inside joke/fan service to lovers of all things otaku and video game related, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking going on. It's meant to be more of an interactive entertainment piece than a challenging super game. But it kinda succeeds at both. Once you beat it (maybe before I dont know I didn't pay attention) you can go back all over the city and scavenge for these trading cards that will show you behind the scenes content and stuff, so there is some replay value if you're into that sorta thing. I know you could get some trading cards during the initial run of the game, but I'm not totally sure the bonus stuff was out there before you beat it.

I beat it on easiest mode and still had difficulty with the last few bosses, mostly because the game doesn't make it quite clear what you're supposed to do in order to beat them, you have to figure it out for yourself through trial and error and kind of watch for their attack patterns and stuff, which I like it's more like a real fight that way. I have to go back and try it on a harder difficulty now, which wont be that hard this time because just like RE4 you get to keep all your weapons and junk when you start a new game.

Sterculius said:
it starts out as a button masher, but as you progress you have to get out of your little comfort zone and come up with strategies, especially with the last two bosses. They block and dodge A LOT.

The game was made more of an inside joke/fan service to lovers of all things otaku and video game related, there's a lot of 4th wall breaking going on. It's meant to be more of an interactive entertainment piece than a challenging super game. But it kinda succeeds at both. Once you beat it (maybe before I dont know I didn't pay attention) you can go back all over the city and scavenge for these trading cards that will show you behind the scenes content and stuff, so there is some replay value if you're into that sorta thing. I know you could get some trading cards during the initial run of the game, but I'm not totally sure the bonus stuff was out there before you beat it.

I beat it on easiest mode and still had difficulty with the last few bosses, mostly because the game doesn't make it quite clear what you're supposed to do in order to beat them, you have to figure it out for yourself through trial and error and kind of watch for their attack patterns and stuff, which I like it's more like a real fight that way. I have to go back and try it on a harder difficulty now, which wont be that hard this time because just like RE4 you get to keep all your weapons and junk when you start a new game.

Truth. The OP probobly isnt even past the 3rd boss yet...like me!!! just got it yesterday :}

Oh yeah, and Wiitness, edit dont dbl post lol

thechi444 said:
Yes another comment about NMH. I rented this game, and I'm glad I did. So far, this game is very repetitive and extremely aggravating. I mean, it should of been called button mash 5,000. Please tell me something else happens in the game that takes away from this button mashing. On top of that, all the driving around is a complete waste of time and I think the only reason they put all that in there was to make up for the loss of substance from just mashing away. I will give it this, No More Heroes has good style and the storyline is trendy in a Kill Bill kinda way. In short, if you love playing the same boss over and over again doing the same moves to kill them, than get this game. I think the major reason critics gave this game a good review was because of the storyline and style. The gameplay falls short, but the style and storyline may keep you going. I would have to agree with the GI review.

lol i think you should try heavenly sword :lol:

Dorkfish said:
Truth. The OP probobly isnt even past the 3rd boss yet...like me!!! just got it yesterday :}

Oh yeah, and Wiitness, edit dont dbl post lol

That is true, and I can't really see much more happening. The game is limiting in many ways. You are very limited when it comes to what you can do when you fight, and that will not change. Hitting, dodging and running away in any fashion will get old for me, over and over again. Not to mention again, that the jobs are like jobs in real life. If you ask me, a game should grab your attention from the start, not let you get towards the end to grab your attention. JMO

I've not played No More Heroes so I'm here specifically to get some insight about the game. I've read a few reviews about it and the consensus I get is, the game has it's flaws, but the areas that it succeeds in more than make up for it's shortcomings.
Most magazines/people say that the fighting style is very well done because it doesn't force you to waggle the wii-mote for no reason. They also praised the graphics because they give the game a retroish stylized feel that was kinda refreshing. The story is pretty popular among reviewers as well, but only if you like over-the-top stories.
I've heard that controlling the bike was very difficult and frustrating, and some of the side missions are very repetitive, difficult, and not worth the rewards they offer. I also read a review that said the stylized graphics attempt was a clever way to disguise Suda's laziness and lack of effort in the graphics department.

Can I get any new light shed on this game for me or does this pretty much sum up the opinions of both the positive and negative camps?

Back