General Mario question

jjk260

WiiChat Member
Jan 3, 2008
I am fairly new to all this Wii stuff, but I have heard that you can get all the old Super Mario games from the original Nintendo. I heard you can download them somehow, or something along those lines.

Does anyone know anything about this?

yes you can, you just need to connect your wii to internet and go to the wii shop channel. Once there you'll be able to purchase games from old nintendo systems and a few others. BTW these aren't free, you need to purchase wii points cards in stores or use a credit card.

so as soon as you connect, and download these games, they are yours instantly? And yours to keep for good?

how easy is it to connect to the internet? do you need anything special, or can you just plug a cable modem in???

I just bought a Wii this morning, and am trying to get this stuff figured out before I head home. I want to be ready to go!

jjk260 said:
how easy is it to connect to the internet? do you need anything special, or can you just plug a cable modem in???

I just bought a Wii this morning, and am trying to get this stuff figured out before I head home. I want to be ready to go!

You need ONE of a few things: The wii lan adapter (plugs from your wii into cable modem), the Wifi USB Connecter (connects into USB port on computer and broadcasts internet to your wii wirelessly), or a router.A router is what I would go for. you hook the modem and router together, power both off, power modem on, then router on, and your router gets set up to your internet. then you configure any security on your router, and then just search for a signal with your wii and you will find it, and it will hook up instantly if your router is good. with the others i think theres some things that are complicated for non-techie people, like finding your computers IP address, DNS servers, and a whole other mess of things to manually input into your wii.

EDIT: I dunno how comp-savvy you are but i forgot to mention that a router just broadcasts a wireless signal throughout your entire house most likely. So you may wanna configure security so your neighbors dont steal it. Also many routers have ethernet jacks on the back as well so you can plug in something to get on the internet if it cant get on wirelessly.

Yup, I am pretty familiar with this stuff. So the Wii automatically picks up the wireless signal?

Yup, in the wii menu, click something like "Scan for available networks wirelessly" (or something to that effect...)

enter your password on-screen (if you have one)

and enjoy. it's very simple. the day I got my wii, i had it opened, hooked up with HD cables, online, and the latest software update in about 10 minutes. it's very straight forward and EASY. Have fun!

no its not automatic... you have to go into the wii settings and then select internet... connection settings and search for wireless network... could try it now see if your neighbors are broadcasting anything open... i use a netgear wireless access point on my computer for a home network the wii picked it right up, aswell as 2 of my neighbors unsecure connections.. so i have backups as well..lol

Well, I got home and got everything hooked up. It was all simple. I set up an internet connection using our wireless router and downloaded the original Super Mario and Super Mario 3. Do you know have any other suggestions for good games? I am prob going to get the old Mario Kart too!

jjk260 said:
Well, I got home and got everything hooked up. It was all simple. I set up an internet connection using our wireless router and downloaded the original Super Mario and Super Mario 3. Do you know have any other suggestions for good games? I am prob going to get the old Mario Kart too!
Well if you like any mario games, Paper Mario is fantastic, Super Mario 64 is great too. Kart 64 is awesome, and pretty much any mario game on wii is a good buy.

Back