Got the Router

If you have MAC filtering turned on and set up correctly - then you don't really need to worry about WEP. However, saying that, I would advise you secure your network to the highest possible level.

WEP is somewhat insecure. But, remember, it only takes 30 seconds to set up WPA and has a more secure connection.

WEP is insecure, crackable in 20 minutes. But who really cares! I don't - I only share stuff I can afford to share.

Skooma said:
Luckily i live in a nice neighbourhood XD
Which makes it even more likely that someone will drive through searching for accessible (wep protected even) wireless networks.

"Nice" beighborhood are more of a target than bad ones. Mostly because people expect to find something worthwhile.

Oceanic said:
Well, luckily people around me aren't as smart as you :p They could only get in with no encryption. The suckers aint gonna get in now!
It's not usually the people who live around you that'll try cracking the security, it's the people who'll drive through scanning for wireless networks.

Wep is like locking your front door. It'll only keep honest people out. WPA is like having the front door locked, an alarm system, siren and a vicious dog.

Gaz said:
Yes paranoid, thats what i call it, before you call it paranoia, you should first understand the consiquences of what will happen it someone hacks your rotuer, then applys a keylogger to every computer in your household.

then what, the chances of it arn't as small as you think, and it's much easyier than you think.

Another point for people in the US to know. If someone uses your internet connection for illegal activity, the subscriber is legally liable for the illegal acts. This is becoming more of an issue in courts which are upholding the law and punishing the subscriber. People tend to forget the old addage "Ignorance is not above the law".

Back