Halo 3 and True Skills ranking question !?

Wii-licious

Wii360 FTW !!!!!
Jan 10, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
1111-1111-1111-1111
First, i'm a beginner at Halo 3 and i never own any Halo game before so my question can seems stupid.

Second, I already google this and i find nothing so don't flame me!!

Question: How do we exactly getting higher skills. For example i play around the same number of games as my friend and we both are about the same military ranking level but our true skills are very different.

i only find this:

'mma Go and Git Sum Rankz

Let’s talk about Ranking, EXP and Matchmaking in Halo 3.

First, your “Rank” in Halo 3 is the numerical value near your name. You’ll have a different number in each ranked playlist (social playlists don’t have a rank associated with them) and those numbers serve two purposes. First, and most important that number is our system’s assessment of your skill level relative to the Halo 3 player base. The higher the rank, the better the system thinks that you are. The second part of the “rank” is Service Record component, certain numerical ranks are required to reach different military advancement, General for level 50, et cetera.

Your rank and advancement through the ranking system isn’t a linear experience. There isn’t a “if I win 8 games in a row, I should go up X ranks.” Behind the scenes, we’re calculating all manner of information about your play style, skill, foes and party mates. Because the “leveling curve” isn’t a straight line, someone might get to level 30 in Team Slayer in 50 games, or someone might take a year to reach level 30 in Team Slayer. There’s no hard and fast rule to gaining rank aside from winning games, but even then, there’s no rule as to how fast you’ll advance. The system is infinitely more complicated than just a number being displayed in your profile.

Where “Rank” is the descriptor related to your skill, EXP is essentially a visually description of how much you’ve played. Depending on your finish in a game, you’ll earn an EXP point. Quitting, disconnecting, leaving a game are all cause for losing EXP, and to the folks who claim they’ve lost EXP without quitting, we’re unable to restore EXP to you. After the “Arenas Incident” this week, we’re aware that people have a way of pumping up and juicing their EXP, but just like using ‘roids have consequences, so does abusing EXP. Plus, and most importantly, juicing your EXP isn’t going to affect your rank, those ranks are what we’re using for competitive play and what we’re paying the most attention to. Frank will revisit this theme later in this very update.

I know that true skills does'nt reflect experience both more something about your real skills in combat but can someone explain this to me more in details. Do you absolutely have to play ranking games to get it hignher or what !?! i'm a little lost with this.

PS: dont try to explain me the military ranking system in Halo 3, i understand it and its not the same thing. Even if it involve some true skills to get an officer this is not what my question is about.

Last edited:
i hate the ranking system. i have been playing with syntax alot and if i come in first i go up 1 rank and he goes up 4 even though i carried him the whole game. he started out 4 levels under me and is now like 8 levels above me. it needs to be fixed

Mitch2025 said:
i hate the ranking system. i have been playing with syntax alot and if i come in first i go up 1 rank and he goes up 4 even though i carried him the whole game. he started out 4 levels under me and is now like 8 levels above me. it needs to be fixed

You seem to be mistaken Mitch. I have been the one carrying you. :)

An example:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=85675537&player=Mitch2025

As for the new ranking system I believe that it's based on the outcome of the games. I'll try and provide some example's below..

Kill/Death Ratio: If you have a high kill to death ratio chances are that you'll most likely rank up depending on the playlist.

MVP: At the end of the game it will mention who got the MVP for the game. Chances are that the person who was named MVP will rank up faster compared to someone who didn't get MVP.

Other Factors which may affect the ranking system may also include flag steals, flag grabs, flag scores, bomb disarms, bomb arms, territories captured, territories saved etc.

Last edited:
I just find this info:
How exactly does EXP increase?
If you are in the top 49% of any hopper game, ranked or unranked, you will get XP. If there are 16 people you just need to be number 8 or higher.

How do you gain EXP the fastest?
Play in all the hoppers, ranked and unranked. Even unranked hoppers have an invisible “skill” to keep you from picking on newbs. If you spread out your gaming you can get XP from the lower levels of all hoppers.

On Solo Slayer, is it based on getting in top X place?
Top 49%

Does Ranked VS Matchmaking make any difference in gaining EXP?
No, but at the higher officer levels you need to have corresponding skill levels to “rank” up. Otherwise you could have a 2000 XP, but since you’re below 10 in highest skill you might be some lieutenant still or something.

Is this true !?!

source (on request only)

can you get EXP in team games like big team battle??????????????????

Last edited:
Back