HELP! My computer keeps shutting down!

J-Tizzle

Jounin Member
Jan 5, 2007
Michigan
Well, after turning it on and playing it for about an hour or two, it will just shut down!:mad5: :mad5: :mad5: The light on the computer is orange. Computer's a Gateway with XP. Any suggestions?

ARav989 said:
is it overheating? that may be the problem.

I dont know. I just check that by feeling the computer. Do you think the fan inside is broken? I've no clue.

well it might be broken. You should call someone who can actually come over and look at it. if its not making any noise it doenst necessarily mean that your fans broken.

just call the company or something.

it may be the CPU fan is dead. thats what happened to my old computer. i had to go buy a new 60mm fan at a computer store and replace it. open your PC and turn it on and check the CPU fan. if it doesnt spin or stutters then take it off and take it to your local computer store and ask for a new one. if thats not the case then i suggest calling a professional

Could be a virus.
My friend still has similar symptoms (her computer) :lol:
It turns off and then has to be turned back on again.
It does it at random times.

CantGetAWii said:
Could be a virus.
My friend still has similar symptoms (her computer) :lol:
It turns off and then has to be turned back on again.
It does it at random times.

Yes I had this happen. The XP taskbar would turn into the Windows 98 taskbar, then the computer would restart itself. I had an important paper due the next day, so couldnt risk it randomly shutting off and ended up doing a system restore.

Mitch2025 said:
it may be the CPU fan is dead. thats what happened to my old computer. i had to go buy a new 60mm fan at a computer store and replace it. open your PC and turn it on and check the CPU fan. if it doesnt spin or stutters then take it off and take it to your local computer store and ask for a new one. if thats not the case then i suggest calling a professional

I'll try that Mitch2025. Thanks man! I really hope thats the problem.

you should probably run an antivirus problem first.... then looks into hardware problems like cpu fan dying or something... also check the connection to the outlet little things like that can cause it...i know that a motherboard will shut itself off if it becomes over the safe temperature...

Back