Help please uk based regarding a japenese version

matty263

WiiChat Member
Jan 31, 2007
hi guys this is my first post i really need some advice please i have a pal in china who i am thinking of buying a wii off. and need some clarification

1. would if work in the uk?

2. can i only play japanese games

3. would of need some kind of conversion kit?

4. would it make a big difference from a uk version?

all advice needed please

thanks
matt

VC Games

hi thanks for the quick reply what are VC games?

virtual console games..lol you know like super mario 64 and all that. from the old days of super nintendo and all the other nintendo consoles. you can download them on your wii and play them.

thanks

hi guys thanks for that, so would i be able to play all the normal uk games on the console? and would it be difficult to sell if i wanted to get rid of it being a japenese version?

matty263 said:
hi guys thanks for that, so would i be able to play all the normal uk games on the console? and would it be difficult to sell if i wanted to get rid of it being a japenese version?
i am not sure if uk games would work i dont think that region is PAL. but i could be wrong. and yes it will be difficult to sell in uk.

If your pal's in China and it's a Chinese Wii (is there such a thing?), then it'd only play games released in China. However, I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese Wii, in which case it'd only play games released in Japan.

Mod chips are coming out JUST NOW, but they don't yet have a mechanism for disabling the region lock. You'd have to wait for one of those if you wanted to play UK games on your Wii.

PotatoWedgie said:
If your pal's in China and it's a Chinese Wii (is there such a thing?), then it'd only play games released in China. However, I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese Wii, in which case it'd only play games released in Japan.

Mod chips are coming out JUST NOW, but they don't yet have a mechanism for disabling the region lock. You'd have to wait for one of those if you wanted to play UK games on your Wii.
yet again a better explanation than mine.

I live in Korea and own a Japanese Wii, to answer some of your questions :

Regarding VC games : With a jap Wii you can buy japanese VC games from anywhere in the world and can even pay by credit card from your home. Only problem is the menus are in japanese, but the catalogue is bigger.

1. It should work in the UK if you have a modern TV : most modern TVs can read PAL/SECAM/NTSCUS and NTSC/J (japanese norm) however you should check your TV manual to make sure it can display NTSC signal (some TVs don't, especially old ones)

2. You can only play NTSC/J games with a japanese wii. At the moment that means japanese games in japanese only. However, with the launch of asian version wiis for Chinese new year (Mid feb 07), asian version games (compatible with japanese wii) will be released. Most of these games will feature english language.
There are alerady quite a few asian version gamecube games that are in english and work with the japanese wii.

3. Conversion kit will be needed only to play european/US games. They do not exist yet.

4. The biggest differences will be :
  • You will be able to get the japanese/asian exclusive releases
  • You will have to import all your games (until a freeloader comes)
  • The Wii menu, weather and news channels will be in japanese only
  • Probably, online play will only be available with JP games owners (which is why I made a thread for JP wii owners to exchange wii codes)

Hope that helps ! Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

PotatoWedgie said:
My bad, I didn't see your post before I sent mine :rolleyes:

It's all good though, your avatar cures all ailments! Rukia ftw!
dont worry i wasnt trying to be rude. its a compliment.

Actually that is probably not true :
The future Wii versions for China, HongKong, Taiwan and Korea will most likely be compatible with the JP Wii (basically it is a japanese Wii with localised interface).
There is no such thing as a Chinese Wii at the moment but

it should come this year. You can check this thread for more information :
http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii...nch-jp-games-can-played-english-speakers.html

This is not a confirmed information but it has been the case for all consoles (from NES until Xbox360) of all brands, and was the case for the Gamecube. I don't see Nintendo changing that and making a China/Taiwan/HongKong specific version, and judging by their annoucements it won't be the case.

Back