How Do Guns Work?

Chute

very low idiot tolerance
Aug 18, 2007
oxford
not real guns, I know how they work.

what I mean is the wii remote or any other lightgun for that matter. How does it know where on the TV screen it is pointing?

Its bugged me for ages, I'm sure it's not just magic.

Chute said:
not real guns, I know how they work.

what I mean is the wii remote or any other lightgun for that matter. How does it know where on the TV screen it is pointing?

Its bugged me for ages, I'm sure it's not just magic.

Ignore this post, the answer is below.

Last edited:
Cpt.McCloud said:
For the Wii remote it use's AV rays. I believe it works like a bat, it sends out signals and if it hits the wii remote it bounces back therefore letting the tv know where the remote is.

I think that is how it works, I am not 100%

No, that's not quite right. And I don't even know what AV rays are.

Here's the basic rundown, there are more technical details than this:

The sensor bar that you put by the TV has two infrared lights (one at each end). The Wii remote sees those lights and it radios back to the Wii (over bluetooth) where in its field of vision it sees the lights. The Wii then uses the information to determine where to put the cursor on the screen. You can actually see what the Wii remote is seeing if you go into the sensitivity setting adjustment screen. Those two dots are the infrared lights that the remote is seeing. While on that screen, point your remote at a light or out the window and you'll see all kinds of crazy dots where it is detecting IR light.

Traditional, old-style light guns (which only work on CRT tube-type TVs, not LCD, Plasma, etc.) are sort of similar, but much more basic and work a coupe different ways. They have a light sensor at the end of the gun that detects the light coming from the TV. When you press the trigger, typically the TV screen will go blank except for the targets. This happens pretty fast, but is still noticable. If the sensor in the gun is still seeing light, then it assumes a target was hit. The console also knows the precise timing of when in the drawing of the video frame the different targets are drawn so that it can tell which of the targets was being pointed at (this is partially why it only works on CRT TVs). This is why light guns only know their position for one quick instance (when the trigger is pulled), unlike the Wii remote which has constant feedback coming from the sensor bar.

Cpt.McCloud said:
For the Wii remote it use's AV rays. I believe it works like a bat, it sends out signals and if it hits the wii remote it bounces back therefore letting the tv know where the remote is.

I think that is how it works, I am not 100%

The wii light guns are just shells pretty much, they are just something which holds the wiimote.
Hahaha! I hope that you're joking since you've got 2000+ posts under your belt. C'mon...don't mislead people just for fun. It's too easy.

JBWIII said:
Hahaha! I hope that you're joking since you've got 2000+ posts under your belt. C'mon...don't mislead people just for fun. It's too easy.

Well, I dont know much about this but my main point is that it sends out the rays/signal and the bar picks it up therefore knowing were the wiimote is.

Cpt.McCloud said:
Well, I dont know much about this but my main point is that it sends out the rays/signal and the bar picks it up therefore knowing were the wiimote is.
The bar just emits light. The remote has the IR sensor and it sends its position information back to the Wii via radio frequency.

Skippy said:
No, that's not quite right. And I don't even know what AV rays are.

Here's the basic rundown, there are more technical details than this:

The sensor bar that you put by the TV has two infrared lights (one at each end). The Wii remote sees those lights and it radios back to the Wii (over bluetooth) where in its field of vision it sees the lights. The Wii then uses the information to determine where to put the cursor on the screen. You can actually see what the Wii remote is seeing if you go into the sensitivity setting adjustment screen. Those two dots are the infrared lights that the remote is seeing. While on that screen, point your remote at a light or out the window and you'll see all kinds of crazy dots where it is detecting IR light.

Traditional, old-style light guns (which only work on CRT tube-type TVs, not LCD, Plasma, etc.) are sort of similar, but much more basic and work a coupe different ways. They have a light sensor at the end of the gun that detects the light coming from the TV. When you press the trigger, typically the TV screen will go blank except for the targets. This happens pretty fast, but is still noticable. If the sensor in the gun is still seeing light, then it assumes a target was hit. The console also knows the precise timing of when in the drawing of the video frame the different targets are drawn so that it can tell which of the targets was being pointed at (this is partially why it only works on CRT TVs). This is why light guns only know their position for one quick instance (when the trigger is pulled), unlike the Wii remote which has constant feedback coming from the sensor bar.

thank you!

Chute said:

Please don't spam.

He ment that because your problem has been resolved people no longer need to reply to this topic so he thinks it needs to be closed.

I think it should be left open for others to comment on, it is an intresting talking point for a topic.

I wasn't spamming, I genuinely didn't get his point.

I dont think 8 posts classes me as a spammer.

Chute said:
I wasn't spamming, I genuinely didn't get his point.

I dont think 8 posts classes me as a spammer.

I didnt call you a spammer, I just said you spammed.

Posts have to mean something rather then just grunt noises like 'huh?' or 'Eh??'.

If you didnt understand you could of asked fully like What do you mean by that?

whatever guys. i didn't actully mean the thread is closed by the way. what else can you say about the topic?

andrewguy said:
whatever guys. i didn't actully mean the thread is closed by the way. what else can you say about the topic?

Its a innovative way of using a main controller for your home console rather then it being a peripheral.

Back