Hrmmm...

ColonCowboy

WiiChat Member
Jun 3, 2007
Hey all,

Here's my dilema. I have a DGL-4100 Gamers Lounge gigabit wired router. I also have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. Now here's what I've done:

1. DGL-4100 IP is 192.168.69.1
2. DI-624 IP is 192.168.69.2 and has DHCP disabled.
3. DI-624 is hooked LAN port to LAN port to the DGL-4100 with a crossover cable.
4. DGL-4100 router sees DI-624 as a connected client.
5. Wii sees the SSID, and accepts the WPA key of the DI-624.
6. Connections settings of Wii are set statically to 192.168.69.3 for an IP, 255.255.255.0 for subnet and 192.168.69.1 (DGL-4100's IP) for gateway (I think the Wii calls it primary router) and 192.168.69.1 as the primary DNS.

Test connection keeps failing. I've tried a number of different individual settings to no avail.

I appreciate any ideas that you may have.

Thanks a ton in advance.

-CC

ColonCowboy said:
Hey all,

Here's my dilema. I have a DGL-4100 Gamers Lounge gigabit wired router. I also have a D-Link DI-624 wireless router. Now here's what I've done:

1. DGL-4100 IP is 192.168.69.1
2. DI-624 IP is 192.168.69.2 and has DHCP disabled.
3. DI-624 is hooked LAN port to LAN port to the DGL-4100 with a crossover cable.
4. DGL-4100 router sees DI-624 as a connected client.
5. Wii sees the SSID, and accepts the WPA key of the DI-624.
6. Connections settings of Wii are set statically to 192.168.69.3 for an IP, 255.255.255.0 for subnet and 192.168.69.1 (DGL-4100's IP) for gateway (I think the Wii calls it primary router) and 192.168.69.1 as the primary DNS.

Test connection keeps failing. I've tried a number of different individual settings to no avail.

I appreciate any ideas that you may have.

Thanks a ton in advance.

-CC

Hi

i have a very similar situation to you whereby i'm also using "another" router
as a wireless access point. however, i notice a few of things in your set-up
which differ to mine.

your IP address for the wireless access point (DI-624) of 192.168.69.2....
my linksys WRT54GS has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1, my Linksys WRT55AG which
is the WAP, is set to 192.168.2.1. this ensures that the device is on
the same Subnet (255.255.255.0) but doesn't conflict with any other devices
on my LAN. you might want to try changing the DI624's IP to 192.168.70.1

secondly, i connect router LAN to WAP LAN via straight thru' ethernet, not
crossover as you have.

and finally, seeing as the DGL4100 is the DHCP server, let it allocate the
relevant IP, default gateway and DNS values to the Wii automatically
rather than you giving the Wii manually assigned values.

hth

If you set the 2 routers to different subdomain IP address, then terminals connected to different routers may not see each other. There is nothing obviously wrong. I have 4 routers all wirelessly bridge together within the same IP subdomain. All computers connected via different router can see each other but the gateway has to be set at the primary router. Instead of turning off the DHCP on the secondary routers, I left a small non-overlapping window of IP addresses in each that allows me to connect and diagnose in case of networking problem. Did you try connecting a computer to the network in this configuration?

Hey there,

I will try this information out tonight and post my results.

Thanks for the good responses.

-CC

ColonCowboy: Nothing wrong with what you have posted. My current setup is almost exactly the same except I am using two wireless routers on multiple SSID.
My guess is that the issue is either the firmware on the DGL-4100 or the ISP itself.

As a test could you temporarily remove the DGL-4100 and directly connect the DLink? This could potentially narrow the issue down to your ISP.

FR3344LL said:
secondly, i connect router LAN to WAP LAN via straight thru' ethernet, not crossover as you have.

Most new network equipment has autosensing that eliminates the need of crossover cable. I also used a straight through CAT5 when I connect a hub to a router.
I am suspecting he has some IP address conflict. I'll suggest to set the DHCP range from 100-150 and use manual assign IP from 200 and up. Usually I leave the low numbers for routers. I don't like the idea of putting the access point in a different subnet. This would make the diagnosis more difficult.

Last edited:
:mad5:Autocrossover has to be the shittiest invention for moron end users that I have ever seen in networking. It causes more problems than it solves.
Are we supposed to enable spanning tree on all ports now that this is common?! Then wait for the every effected vlan to reconverge?! dammit

Thanks for all the help folks. The Wii is currently updating.

I left all my settings the same but ditched the crossover cable, let the wii autodetect and voila.

Both routers are switch capable so I just figured it's switch to switch so it needs to be crossed, that's a typical setup (at least with enterprise level Cisco switches it is:)).

Anyway, thanks for all that responded. Seems a good community I hope to give back to it someday. Cheers.

-CC

Back