I got my wii at launch but...

Meh, launch for you guys was early December. They started shipping Wiis with new straps then, so I suspect a lot of people will be the same.

Where are you getting this new-strap related information from? I've seen the replacement strap on Nintendo's site, but that's NOT a new strap, it's a REPLACEMENT. As in, for BROKEN straps. Not a replacement as in "buy this it's better than the old strap". This is all afaik, though.

Got mine on Launch in UK (8th) and I couldn't care about some Retard Proof strap Im haappy with my Strap. xD

me too, cameras only have a strap incase you drop them, same with the wii remote, not so you can throw it like a retard and let go, only 1 game requires you to drop it, and thats one of the minigames in warioware

MaXiMiUS said:
Where are you getting this new-strap related information from? I've seen the replacement strap on Nintendo's site, but that's NOT a new strap, it's a REPLACEMENT. As in, for BROKEN straps. Not a replacement as in "buy this it's better than the old strap". This is all afaik, though.
the new strap is 0.4mm wider than the old strap and all people with the old strap have been told by nintendo to go to the website to send a eplacement, but people are abusing this and getting more than they need or even people without a wii and selling them

I got my Wii on the 23rd and its got old strap :p But idk Im not going to let go of it.

How can you tell the difference between old and new (the picture on Nintendo's website doesn't show a big difference)

mademperor said:
How can you tell the difference between old and new (the picture on Nintendo's website doesn't show a big difference)

The strap is almost 50% thicker, that may not be very noticable. But it does have a more robust, complicated knot which is another big difference.

I seriously have no idea how or why you would throw the wiimote(though putting my foot through the TV screen is a possibility)

Does anyone have any knowledge or a link to a NON-American case where the Wiimote has been thrown?

No it's Stupid Amercians. I was thinking of wearing my strap and throwing the Remote onto my bed and seeing if it does cause damage. LMAO I would never have gone through with it. I just looked at the strap for a second. Thought No way and carried on playing Zelda

i tried to break the old snap, there is a video of a guy on youtube trying to do it too but i did a diff test, he did a throw test and i did a pressure test, i pulled on the wiimote and strap as hard as i could (im not weak i can bench 140kg) and it didnt snap or fray at all so its about as strong as 30lbs fishing line.

Back