I want to buy a new Wii that will work with Wii Fit and the other games we have.

NellPlotts

WiiChat Member
Jan 12, 2014
Portland, Oregon
The grandchildren wore out their Wii console so I gave them ours.  Now I want to buy a replacement for us. Which should I buy and where, usually, are the best buys?

Any Wii will work with any Wii game, though an (automatic) update may need to be installed from the game disc itself. In other words, a used Wii from 2006, or a Wii Mini, will be perfectly compatible with a game like Wii Fit, just the same as a brand new Wii would.

If you're looking for the absolute cheapest purchase, buying online would be the way to go if you wouldn't mind purchasing a used product. In stores you'll likely be charged $70 for a used Wii, but online you might find one for as low as $30 or so, still in perfectly good shape. For a brand new Wii, Google should give you a quick answer for that.

As for which to buy, the Wii Mini is a stripped down Wii. No online features, does not play the older Gamecube games, and other such cutbacks. It's essentially a bare-bones Wii meant to be as cheap as possible, but a regular Wii can be bought for dirt cheap as is... perhaps even cheaper. As such, you may be better off purchasing a regular ol' Wii.

It is important to note that the Wii and it's offshoots like the aforementioned Wii Mini should never be confused with the Wii U. The Wii U is an entirely new system with vastly improved technology inside it, and Wii U games will not be compatible with the older, now outdated Wii. I'm mentioning this because there's quite a bit of consumer confusion regarding the two... Nintendo did a right-poorly job distinguishing the two apart in their advertising, let me tell ya.

Purchased a used Wii

I pushed "reset" and expected to work through the initial setup. "A" on the Controller brought me to choose language. Neither of the controllers that came with this used Wii moved the '[ language ]' box. What could be the problem? More importantly, what is the solution?

If either remote is connected to the Wii, a single square light should be lighted up on the remote. If you press a button on the remote and the lights flash, but a single light does not remain lit, the remotes are not connecting. If you can't connect either remote, you'll need to manually sync them.

If you're attempting to select a language option using the motion controls, make sure the Sensor Bar is plugged into the Wii and the bar itself is placed on top of your TV.

Have you tried using the directional buttons (located above the "A" button)?

The sensor bar slipped behind the console, got past that step. Now I need to Sync my balance board with the console. They don't seem to be connecting. It is close to the console & sensor bar. Is there anything else I am missing?

I'm sorry to say I have no experience with the balance board peripheral, and thus can be of little aid regarding that matter... perhaps another member, or another article from Nintendo's support website can be of assistance.

I read the instructions online and finally found the light that flashes in sync mode. It sync'd!! Now I need to figure out how to create Wii personalities... it has been so long since I did that.

Back