is metroid gona be online

Warrior said:
i wasnt calling anyone dumb, it an expression. If metroid prime 3 doesnt have online, theres a strong chance i wont buy it.

Why not? It will still be a good, well rounded game no matter what features it has/doesn't have. Similar to what Byuakuya said.

FR. said:

Apparently, that feature is pretty important to him. Indeed, I've never bothered with Halo's single-player except a few times when I was refining my aim. If that's the type of experience he has planned for his next shooter, he probably should save his money for a game that will provide it.

That's like asking why someone wouldn't buy a car if the model didn't come out with 4WD. If that's an important feature to them, why would they ignore the lack thereof?

My stance is that if it doesn't come with multiplayer, it may not (I'm withholding some judgment till it actually comes out) be worth 50$ to me. That doesn't mean I won't get it, it just means I'll wait until a nice used copy goes for a bargain on ebay. Alternatively, a game as big as MP3C with a good online vs mode is worth more than 50$ to me--based on how long it could prolong the life of the game alone, but the additional fun of such a fantastically controlled game would make me willing to pay a bundle for that feature.

im guessing since metroid for DS has sold good then their probably gonna make it online

zeon9881 said:
im guessing since metroid for DS has sold good then they're probably gonna make it online

Every day that goes by without any indication of online ability (and with several that there won't be), it's harder and harder to believe that.

Your reasoning isn't bad (though I'm not sure how MPH's sales actually compare to MP and MP:E)--and it's probably what fueled the initial post-delay rumors in the first place, but there's just no evidence of any online mode (much less online vs), and by this point, 2 months before the game shows up on store shelves, the game is finished. Whatever they did (new advanced control system, polish), is done already, and discs are being burned, packaged and shipped. I gather print mags already got an indepth look at MP3C at the NMS, so if online modes were there, you'd think we'd have heard about them.

Why does everyone have such a hardon over Metroid having online play? The POINT of Metroid is that is a single person game, you're alone on a planet. Mutiplayer on Prime 2 was a joke and was tacked on to appease people who think a FPS needs multiplayer. It doesn't, there are plenty of other titles out there better suited to multiplayer. Give me online Mario Kart, that would make sense. Give me Wii Sports online with chat so I can play my brother who lives 4 hours away. Online multiplayer support in Prime 3 makes no sense.

The only rumor I have heard about Prime 3 having online that made sense and got me excited was updated missions.

mym6 said:
Why does everyone have such a hardon over Metroid having online play? The POINT of Metroid is that is a single person game, you're alone on a planet. Mutiplayer on Prime 2 was a joke and was tacked on to appease people who think a FPS needs multiplayer. It doesn't, there are plenty of other titles out there better suited to multiplayer. Give me online Mario Kart, that would make sense. Give me Wii Sports online with chat so I can play my brother who lives 4 hours away. Online multiplayer support in Prime 3 makes no sense.

The only rumor I have heard about Prime 3 having online that made sense and got me excited was updated missions.

THANK YOU.

mym6 said:
The POINT of Metroid is that is a single person game, you're alone on a planet.

I've never played a Metroid game where I was alone on a planet. It would be pretty boring if there was no one there shooting at me.

lordcorm said:
accualy a zelda mmorpg whould be cool....

I concur.

Wiinter said:
I've never played a Metroid game where I was alone on a planet. It would be pretty boring if there was no one there shooting at me.

if you were in a room full of ppl you didnt know,or didnt like you, wouldnt you feel "alone"?

TortillaChip520 said:
if you were in a room full of ppl you didnt know,or didnt like you, wouldnt you feel "alone"?

Sure. How would that be different from playing against other players who you didn't know or who didn't like you (seeing as how they would be trying to kill you--dislike can be assumed)?

However, from E3 demos, we already know that Samus won't be alone in the single player mode. Other hunters will be with her, even saving her life. People who want multiplayer vs just want the opportunity to use one of the best shooter control systems to grace the Wii against real people (as enemies) and not just against stupid AI.

There's nothing in the MP subseries that makes multiplayer taboo, and there has been more multiplayer in Prime subseries than not, however poorly executed. Arguments that it doesn't belong are usually as poorly grounded as the one above (if you were really alone, there'd be nothing to do--and what's the difference between hostile AI and hostile players? (hostile players are more challenging to kill and more fun to play against)).

Wiinter said:

You're just being an ass. The point is you're a single person on the mission. This isn't a game where it is you and a team or where you get to pick which player you want to do the mission with. Metroid isn't a run and gun game. While you do fight, there is more emphasis on exploring, discovering and puzzle solving than games that are more suitable to multiplayer. For the most part, Metroid is Zelda but more with a moody atmosphere.

When I played Prime, I did so using my surround sound system and when ever possible, I turned it up. As the game progresses and you start dealing with more and more space pirates and Metroids, there are parts of the game that would honestly freak me out. I'd get chills. To hear the shriek of a Metroid behind you while you're in the dark and down on energy is what Metroid is all about to me. While I like Zelda games as well, they've never freaked me out the way Metroid can.

mym6 said:
You're just being an ass. The point is you're a single person on the mission. This isn't a game where it is you and a team or where you get to pick which player you want to do the mission with. Metroid isn't a run and gun game. While you do fight, there is more emphasis on exploring, discovering and puzzle solving than games that are more suitable to multiplayer. For the most part, Metroid is Zelda but more with a moody atmosphere.

When I played Prime, I did so using my surround sound system and when ever possible, I turned it up. As the game progresses and you start dealing with more and more space pirates and Metroids, there are parts of the game that would honestly freak me out. I'd get chills. To hear the shriek of a Metroid behind you while you're in the dark and down on energy is what Metroid is all about to me. While I like Zelda games as well, they've never freaked me out the way Metroid can.
yet again, THANK YOU.

Wiinter said:
Sure. How would that be different from playing against other players who you didn't know or who didn't like you (seeing as how they would be trying to kill you--dislike can be assumed)?

However, from E3 demos, we already know that Samus won't be alone in the single player mode. Other hunters will be with her, even saving her life. People who want multiplayer vs just want the opportunity to use one of the best shooter control systems to grace the Wii against real people (as enemies) and not just against stupid AI.

There's nothing in the MP subseries that makes multiplayer taboo, and there has been more multiplayer in Prime subseries than not, however poorly executed. Arguments that it doesn't belong are usually as poorly grounded as the one above (if you were really alone, there'd be nothing to do--and what's the difference between hostile AI and hostile players? (hostile players are more challenging to kill and more fun to play against)).

Explain how Metroid could be done so that the baddies would be controlled by others and still have a predictable story line and progressive difficulty.

mym6 said:
The point is you're a single person on the mission. This isn't a game where it is you and a team or where you get to pick which player you want to do the mission with. Metroid isn't a run and gun game.

A multiplayer vs mode could easily integrate adventure portions of the game. There's no reason, short of a draught of imagination, to turn it into a run and gun game. Further, there's no reason why having a run-and-gun multiplayer vs mode (if the developers have as little imagination as you) would need to interfere with the single player adventure mode.

Metroid is not as brittle as you describe it to be. It can survive and thrive with new features. How do I know? People like you had multiple coronaries when MP turned into 3D. "Metroid is not FPS!!!" everyone shouted when the first person orientation was revealed. Then MP became the highest critically rated game on the gamecube, retained adventure and puzzle solving, added new immersion that re-emphasized the experience, and the cries subsided.

mym6 said:
The point is you're a single person on the mission.

Except you're not. There are other hunters involved in the MP3C storyline--one of them even saves you from a fall at one point. MPH effectively utilizes multiplayer. At the end of the day, there's been more multiplayer in the Metroid Prime universe than not.

mym6 said:
To hear the shriek of a Metroid behind you while you're in the dark and down on energy is what Metroid is all about to me.

Well, you freak out easily, but no one is trying to take away your favorite part of the series. Why do you want to keep someone else's favorite Metroid Prime feature out?

mym6 said:
While you do fight, there is more emphasis on exploring, discovering and puzzle solving than games that are more suitable to multiplayer.

There's no reason why a multiplayer mode couldn't integrate many of those features. The only necessary part is that, instead of brainless space pirates waiting in the shadows, there be intelligent, thinking (ideally) human beings that can adapt and aren't as easy to dispatch waiting in the shadows. There's a lot of room for innovation in multiplayer vs, and MP3C could be a great place to explore that.

mym6 said:
You're just being an ass.

No, I'm making a point. There are other beings on the planets Samus goes to. What difference does it make whether they are AI or human? I'll tell you what difference, human opponents could increase the difficulty of your tasks, the challenge of the game, and the game's very lifespan. To wit, that Samus-alone tradition has already been broken. Argue with Retro, not me. To wit, actually argue and nix the name calling. It makes you look impotent.

mym6 said:
Explain how Metroid could be done so that the baddies would be controlled by others and still have a predictable story line and progressive difficulty.

It would be a separate mode, not the 1st person mode. However, the new mode could retain an adventure quality with a little imagination. This could be done with competing tasks (imagine multiple hunters with different agendas). Such could be done in a storyline mode (with maps being organized rather than selectable) as easily as a storyline mode is done with baddies. Explain to me how intelligent individuals playing as the hostiles interferes with the nature of the game. Besides stating it, you don't seem to be presenting any clues about HOW the interference would take place. People are more intelligent than AI, not less--as such, you do the same as you do with AI, tell them their task and provide them with the tools they need to do it. The only difference is that a human player can approach the task different each time (increasing the life of the game) and with more creativity.

You set up x number of players (hunters) at different points on a map/planet/(places in a cavern), give them instructions on what it is they need to accomplish (any given map could house a very large number of goals, making repeated play fun), including finding certain information and getting back with it before their competitors do, planting disinformation for others, demolition, getting a bounty on a particular NPC or on a live player (they Are bounty hunters), mapping an area before the others (while they try to prevent you from doing it (etc, etc, the potential tasks are as limitless as the MP universe). Space pirate players or other races may have entirely different agendas, but all with some impetus to interact/compete with the other players, all with the incentive to stalk, follow or scare the wits out of the other players.

A two player VS mode could be set up where the second player has access to a different level of a cavern (paralell to the 1st player's access), and their task is the same as a game boss', but they are roving and can choose the point of confrontation, and even stalk the other player until they arrive, using groups of NPCs as fodder and to separate them until he's ready for a final confrontation. He could run ahead, and set traps (explosives, directing NPCs to particular locations) and barriers that the other player would have to try and avoid (in a 1 player game, you learn where all these are done, and the mode loses the surprise value--in this way, it could be different each time, you could never really relax) or bypass. And finally, Samus (or whoever) would need to find their enemy boss, instead of just walking up to the point where he is. Depending on the location the boss player chose, it could change the dynamics of the fight and add layers of challenge. Much of this is uniquely suited to online multiplayer, because screen-peaking would ruin the suspense on offline multiplayer.

Just because you have players controlling some units doesn't mean there aren't still NPCs, and they can add to progressive difficulty. Further, if there were an online vs storymode rather than selectable maps, the boss player would get more and more powerful bosses to control, have more variety of traps to set, have more map features to make use of as the story progresses.

If I were being paid to design the system, I'd be willing to dump a little more time into it. But rest assured, there's nothing to prevent it from being done. There are other ideas about how the multiplayer could be something suited to the metroid universe. I'll look around and see what's out there and post it later.

Also, Why would you want the story line to be predictable?

Back