Is The Wii More Than A Successful Fad?

CantGetAWii

WiiChat Member
Dec 22, 2006
WiiChat
Wii Online Code
3099-0319-5478-2979
There is no doubt that Nintendo’s Wii is a success. It’s been the best selling console (excluding handhelds) since it launched and there seems to be an endless demand for the little white brick. So the question is not whether or not the console is a success but whether it will continue to be. Will the bubble burst?

That is a question that will not be answered for many months or even years to come. At the end of the day, all consoles have a finite life span. This comes to an end at the point that either the manufacturer stops supporting the console (like the Xbox) or until consumer interest fades (like the Gamecube).

Following is a discussion on the factors that may be the Wii’s downfall:

You do not have to spend much time in the Wii section of your local EB Games to realise that the selection of good Wii games is very limited. You may also realise that the majority of those titles are developed by Nintendo themselves.The only 3rd part Wii game currently selling well is Guitar Hero 3 (which is selling well on all consoles). Though there are other 3rd party Wii games that aren’t horrible (SSX Blur, Eledees, Resident Evil) they are not selling in high enough numbers when compared to the top tier titles on other consoles. Super Mario Galaxy is arguably the best Wii game available at this point and is deserving of its spot in many a top 10 software chart. The only other title consistently on these charts is Wii Play. Wii Play is in my opinion a horrible collection of rubbish. Many people buy it, but that is much more likely to be for an extra Wii-mote than for the disc.

The impression one gets is that while some of the Nintendo Wii games do very well, 3rd party developers aren’t spending much time or money to put out worth while games for the Wii. Instead PS2 games are simply ported over, or horrible mini-game collections are stuck on a disc. Why is that? By all accounts development cost for the Wii are substantially less than that of its two competitors, so why is this the case? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that developers do not believe that they will see sufficient returns on their investment. That would suggest that while people are still buying Wii’s by the pallet load, they aren’t spending a hell of a lot time actually playing on them.

What is the most attractive aspect of the Wii? It is the interesting, and some would say revolutionary control scheme. Unfortunately apart from Wii Sports and Metroid Prime, most games currently available on the Wii do not fully utilise its control scheme very effectively. Mario Galaxy certainly does for potions of the game. But for most of the games the Wii-mote controls seem tacked onto titles better suited without them. It is very worrying that the vast majority of Wii games are far more enjoyable and easier to control when using the classic controller.

Whenever anyone mentions anything negative about the Wii they will quickly point out the ridiculous numbers in which the console is selling in. Look we all know that, but just because a lot of people are buying it doesn’t mean they are actually playing on it. Console sales figures don’t really mean that much when the software sales don’t match. Most Wii owners I know readily admit that their Wii gets very little play time. So if people are getting bored with it so quickly then where is the opportunity for 3rd party developers to make money?

Obviously the same can be said for other consoles, but looking at software sales charts the Xbox 360 software is consistently selling well. While the attach rates for the PS3 is not significantly higher than that of the Wii it has been increasing. In addition, looking at the upcoming PS3 games things will only get better for them. Apart from Smash brothers and Mario Cart, Wii owners do not have a lot look forward to. Software sales can to a degree be related to the demographic of the owners. Most Xbox 360 and PS3 owners fit into the 25-40 year demographic . These people tend have a much larger disposable income and therefore have cash to burn. They buy a significant portion of titles that come out and this is very appealing to the 3rd party developers. Due to the casual gamer slant that Nintendo are targeting with the Wii, they have also put themselves in a trap. Casual gamers do not spend nearly as much money on games due to it not being their main form of entertainment. In addition many Wii owners also own one (or even both) of the other current-gen consoles. In the case of multi-platform releases, consumers are less likely to purchase the Wii version if its available on one or both of the other consoles. And this is to be expected when the titles look dramatically better on them, in addition to fully featured online components.

Nintendo has really dropped the ball in the online arena. Not only does a fair portion of the games not have online play in any form, the ones that do involve the absolutely horrible experience of entering friend codes. One has to ask, who the hell thought that was a good idea? It is far too much of a pain in the neck. While the other two consoles have really tried to focus on building a sense of community and incorporated features that allow owners to be connected to each other at all times, Nintendo have done nothing of the sort.

In closing, the Wii has seen fantastic sales of its console, but has been very lacking in the software department. They have what is possibly the most innovative control scheme seen since the DualShock and yet it is wildly underutilised. Apart from those two factors Nintendo find themselves in the unenviable position of being completely dependant on their own software for their continued success and have made very little effort in the online scene. Unless these issues are addressed the Wii could very well be the most successful gaming fad in recent history.

Source

What a load of fanboy rubbish.These articles seem endless comming from PS/Xbox lovers the world over.

They continue to say the Wii is a fad as an excuse as to why the "hardcore consoles" are failing "compared to Wii". Attachment rates? sure Wii attachment rates are lower they have probbaly 80% of the casual gamers do you think they are gonna have the same buget for games as the hardcore? They are still outselling them though.

Now comparing it to the 360 is a little unfair to start, it has a year headstart over both the Wii/Ps3 so obviously people have more games for a console they have had longer.The 360 fans keep bringing up these numbers that have more to do with how long its been on the market then how well its selling. The Wii is right on 360 heals or overcomming them in just about every area except attachment rate so its the constant pointless argument. Give us 360 attachment rates at 15 months compared to the Wii at 15 months then you have an argument, not 27 Vs. 15 months thats not even debatable, its a cry for acknowledgement on 360's part!

Game sales.. awsome point lets see what WORLD WIDE game sales are, lets look at the top 5 for all 3 systems and see if this is an argument.

PS3: World Wide Game Sales
1. Motorstorm____________________2.74 million
2. Resistance: Fall of Man___________2.33 million
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare_____2.31 million
4. Assassins Creed_________________2.21 million
5. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008_________1.28 million

Xbox 360: World Wide Game Sales
1. Halo 3_________________________7.24 million
2. Gears Of War____________________4.97 million
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare______4.69 million
4. Forza Motorsport 2________________3.95 million
5. Assassins Creed__________________3.37 million

Wii: World Wide Game Sales
1. Wii Sports______________________19.07 million
2. Wii Play_________________________9.98 million
3. Super Mario Galaxy________________5.75 million
4. Mario Party 8_____________________4.58 million
5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess_4.56 Million

So wow ya Wii is doing horribal for game sales... Or better than everyone else depends how you look at it :lol:
Based on Console Sold numbers to Games Sold numbers its tied right up with 360. While PS3 is in last place.

Now im sure alot of 360 fanboys will argue my numbers because they are not NPD numbers "United States Sales Numbers" so it makes them look bad "Lets be honest very little people support the 360 outside the USA compared to the other 2 systems", but the truth is video games are sold in more places than the USA and the worldwide numbers are what matter overall. And based on NPD and other worldwide sales numbers I pull it from the only unbiased source that I know of.

Sure Nintendo doesn't have the same 3rd party lineup that the other 2 do.
But the other 2 also don't have the 1st party support that Nintendo does, thats in black and white right in sales numbers. Does it make Wii a fad because the only ones making a good game for the console is Nintendo themself? No of course not! That just means they knew what the console could do before anyone else "obviously they built it" and made games to match the wii-mote not just tack it on to a ported game like alot of 3rd party devs did at the start.

Now we hear all the time of 3rd party support being shifted to the Wii and a whole list of games comming out for the Wii now like Star Wars,Rockband,MX vs. ATV and a promise from 3rd party that help is on the way.

Does Nintendo need help? Well at this rate obvously NO they are doing fine with games like Mario Galaxy,Zelda and games like SSBB and Mario Kart are going to sell just as well if not better.
Now with the majority of the consoles sold worldwide being from the Wii, 3rd party is gonna bring extra games to it, they need the cash of gamers, for that you follow the money "Wii". It's buisness folks these concepts of pride and exclusivity twards one console means nothing except to you! To 3rd party its just a way to make a buck and thats all it ever will be!

Is the Wii a fad? In the sence of gaming every console is a fad they only last 5 years!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fad <--- learn what a fad is!

Based on the deffinition of the word as it is to Console Gaming Hell no it's not a fad! It didn't pop on the scene shortly and quickly die out, its still going strong, with the largest next gen audience.

Will it stay in first? Probably if they keep up with the good 1st party titles, but it won't take a crazy lead agenst the other 2 without great 3rd party support.
We know its on the way thats not the question, it's if it will be good enough to compete with rival 3rd party support on the other 2 consoles.
The only way they can do that is with Wii-mote controls in place of HD graphics so 3rd party has to figure it out quick to keep us happy. If not Nintendo will keep it up they already said they switched game development from 50/50 between Wii/DS to more at Wii because after a few years of the fad of DS they now have plenty of good 3rd party support and they hope the same story will come true for Wii. Only time will tell, a fad its not, if it's history making is still to be seen. So far it has claimed the title of fastest selling game console EVER. Lets see what else they can claim later on.

Last edited:
I wont argue your numbers and I also wont argue that its true that 360 has been out for longer.

But I will argue that you use Wii Sports in the chart, which is a game that comes with every Wii console. That isnt a very fair measurement seeing as no one has a choice on whether they want that game or not.

Wii Play is another game because most people buy that for the Wii-mote, not the disc. You might as well start tallying up PS3 and 360 controllers if you are gonna tally Wii Play.

Other than the fact that 360 has been out longer, I don't see how you can blow off the article as being biased, because its true... The same things written in this article is the same things you see in these forums.

Also the article never said Wii was not getting 3rd party games, obviously it is. It's saying that 3rd partys are not selling well which is keeping 3rd party games away. There is no denying that because everyone knows that 3rd party games are not selling well on the Wii.

Whether Wii is a fad or not comes down to personal opinion. I personally think its not a fad. It will continue to sell, but I think Wii titles will stay low because it only has 1st party games. When 3rd parties are released its either exclusive and not that good or they are multiplatform where the Wii is lower in quality compared to the other consoles because they don't look as good and have severely lower online capabilities.

The article doesn't even say whether its a fad or not, its a article based around the question asking if it is.

T3kNi9e said:
I wont argue your numbers and I also wont argue that its true that 360 has been out for longer.

But I will argue that you use Wii Sports in the chart, which is a game that comes with every Wii console. That isnt a very fair measurement seeing as no one has a choice on whether they want that game or not.

Wii Play is another game because most people buy that for the Wii-mote, not the disc. You might as well start tallying up PS3 and 360 controllers if you are gonna tally Wii Play.

Other than the fact that 360 has been out longer, I don't see how you can blow off the article as being biased, because its true... The same things written in this article is the same things you see in these forums.

Also the article never said Wii was not getting 3rd party games, obviously it is. It's saying that 3rd partys are not selling well which is keeping 3rd party games away. There is no denying that because everyone knows that 3rd party games are not selling well on the Wii.

Whether Wii is a fad or not comes down to personal opinion. I personally think its not a fad. It will continue to sell, but I think Wii titles will stay low because it only has 1st party games. When 3rd parties are released its either exclusive and not that good or they are multiplatform where the Wii is lower in quality compared to the other consoles because they don't look as good and have severely lower online capabilities.

The article doesn't even say whether its a fad or not, its a article based around the question asking if it is.

Not in Japan

why was my post deleted? it could have just been edited...

i agree with Wezeles, the author of this article seems highly biased, and underestimating the wii

watch brawl and mario kart are going to sell a lot mroe than a lot of ps3/360 games, just those 2 games coming out at least add an extra 1 to the attachment rate (i'll be buying both, that's for sure)

Dorkfish said:
Not in Japan

Truuuuee, I guess thats about 2 million sold. But that still does not contradict the article because he never said the games don't sell. He said 3rd party games don't sell. Wii Sports is still a Nintendo title.

why do third party sales matter? I mean the reason why there are no third party sales selling cause there are few good ones...so what? i don't see how that makes the wii any closer to a fad, nintendo's software have ALWAYS done way better than third party titles, by that logic, all of nintendo's consoles must have been a fad

mushroomedmario said:
why was my post deleted? it could have just been edited...

i agree with Wezeles, the author of this article seems highly biased, and underestimating the wii

watch brawl and mario kart are going to sell a lot mroe than a lot of ps3/360 games, just those 2 games coming out at least add an extra 1 to the attachment rate (i'll be buying both, that's for sure)

I agree, except for the article being biased. Where does he claim SSBB and Mario Kart will not sell? Infact he says those are the two games that will be good.

Apart from Smash brothers and Mario Kart, Wii owners do not have a lot look forward to.

Which is true... Those are the top 2 games Wii owners are looking foward to. Those are the two games im pre-ordering for my Wii.

Anyway, the reason why I responded to this thread was for once the article was almost all true and I was curious to see how many people would bash the article when there are 100's of threads talking about how Nintendo needs to improve on these things. Yet when an article is made, its all lies?

this article is very well written and in most cases spot on, unfortunately. If only the Wii had 720p support (not more poplygons or better gfx, just higher res) support for mic, no friend code crap and a harddisk the Wii would have been alot more attractive to 3rd party devs.

Well actually T3kNi9e, i think there are lots of people who buy the console JUST for wii sports, so its like buying a 250 dollar game for them lol. But your right, Wii sports shouldnt really count should it...

T3kNi9e said:
I agree, except for the article being biased. Where does he claim SSBB and Mario Kart will not sell? Infact he says those are the two games that will be good.

Which is true... Those are the top 2 games Wii owners are looking foward to. Those are the two games im pre-ordering for my Wii.

Anyway, the reason why I responded to this thread was for once the article was almost all true and I was curious to see how many people would bash the article when there are 100's of threads talking about how Nintendo needs to improve on these things. Yet when an article is made, its all lies?

huh the only thing i see on that article that the wii needs to improve on is online, which i agree to an extent, but online is one of the very least things i care about hwen it comes to gaming (i have never gone online on bwii, madden or guitar hero 3)

as for software? i really have to disagree with the brawl and mario kart statement, they're just the ones we look forward to the MOST

i'm looking forward to animal crossing, but there's nothing to get me hyped about it, as for mario kart and ssbb, there is constant information coming out on the internet

and if anybody here owned past nintendo consoles, there's plenty to look forward to, star fox, kirby, pikmin etc. not to mention any new franchises that shiggy will come up with

as long as shiggy still works for nintendo, there's always something to look forward to..

this article is very well written and in most cases spot on, unfortunately. If only the Wii had 720p support (not more poplygons or better gfx, just higher res) support for mic, no friend code crap and a harddisk the Wii would have been alot more attractive to 3rd party devs.

no it isn't, there are plenty of mistakes there, mario kart*, lack of commas, an extra space between a word and the period .

Last edited:
mushroomedmario said:
huh the only thing i see on that article that the wii needs to improve on is online, which i agree to an extent, but online is one of the very least things i care about hwen it comes to gaming (i have never gone online on bwii, madden or guitar hero 3)

as for software? i really have to disagree with the brawl and mario kart statement, they're just the ones we look forward to the MOST

i'm looking forward to animal crossing, but there's nothing to get me hyped about it, as for mario kart and ssbb, there is constant information coming out on the internet

and if anybody here owned past nintendo consoles, there's plenty to look forward to, star fox, kirby, pikmin etc. not to mention any new franchises that shiggy will come up with

as long as shiggy still works for nintendo, there's always something to look forward to..

no it isn't, there are plenty of mistakes there, mario kart*, lack of commas, an extra space between a word and the period .

Okay, so you are not into online, but you acknowledge that Nintendo needs to improve on it.

As for SSBB and Mario Kart, thats what I said o_O

Yes, its true there are other great franchises, but those have not been announced for 2008 nor 2009 for that matter. Also once again thats a 1st party game which the article mentioned is Wii's strong point.

As for your question about 3rd-party games. Yes it does matter, maybe not for the 100% Nintendo loving hardcores who only care about 1st party games. But for ALOT of the people who also want some 3rd party games, it does matter. Low 3rd-party sales will keep developers away from the Wii because it shows that they will not sell, which the article said that!

3rd party developers aren’t spending much time or money to put out worth while games for the Wii.

The only logical conclusion I can come to is that developers do not believe that they will see sufficient returns on their investment.

So, either you didn't actually read everything or its YOU thats biased. But im pretty sure you did read it, so im guessing you just don't like any negativity towards the Wii.

Also I found this interesting, because its SOOOO TRUE:

Whenever anyone mentions anything negative about the Wii they will quickly point out the ridiculous numbers in which the console is selling in.

No doubt someone will try to bash me, but ill be on CoD4, so ill probably not be back for a while.

Low 3rd-party sales will keep developers away from the Wii because it shows that they will not sell, which the article said that!

no it didn't, you backed it up with a quote, but that quote doesn't back up your point, yes it says 3rd parties are concerned about if their games will sell or not, but it never says that they base that on the sales of other third party games, because i'm sure major third parties don't make a decision to release a game on the wii due to the sales of ninjabread man

your views and my views of the mario kart and ssbb differ, so i didn't say what you said

you agreed with the article, and i said that they're the ones to look forward to the most, but there's still plenty to look forward to, thus disagreeing with the article, personally there's plenty to look forward to on all consoles imo

i've never used the wii's sales as an arguement as to why the wii is my console of choice, i bought it for the software

i personally wouldn't bash you because your opinion differs from me(unless you consider this post bashing)

The article is biased because he thinks that 1st party Nintendo titles wont keep them ontop compared to the exclusives 3rd partys going to the other consoles. Any Nintendo consumer can tell you 1st party Nintendo ALWAYS dominates sales!
Nintendo has enough 1st party "and will keep pushing them out as needed" to keep up with the hot selling 3rd party titles on the other consoles. You can see that flat out in sales numbers of there first party they keep right up witht he big dogs!

Look at the top games for the other consoles they have there exclusives titles and a couple 1st party titles like Halo/God of War that do great! They all have there own fan following and almost a guaranteed sales numbers just because of the name of the game.

The ALL also have these popular 3rd party multi platform titles like RE/GH/MOH/007/Tony Hawk, games that will make it to every system in some way or another and will all do well, maybe not top 10 sellers but more than enough to make the investment in the game worth it.

This argument that 3rd party doesn't sell well on Wii has already been brought up.

Most of the current 3rd party games have very little invested and are casual crap, or ported ps2/xbox titles from last gen just because they didn't want to invest in the Wii at first not knowing what kind of return it would bring.
With the exception of a few games like No More Heros/Zak and Wiki there isnt alot of "decent" 3rd party in the first place, so why would it sell well?
We have also already discussed that they haven't advertised the GOOD 3rd party titles and this is probably the main reason why they havent sold well fromt he start, although over time we are seeing these titles sell much better with word of mouth.

With a Console like the Wii with a large population of casual owners you HAVE TO HAVE TO advertise to them via the normal sources. The reason PS2 had such sucess wasnt because they had 120 million "amount of consoles sold" Hardcore gamers, but the fact they had hardcore and alot of casual with word of mouth and endless endless commercials and advertisements for games such as GTA of course they sell well, no matter how good or bad the game is people still pick it up because they heard the name.

How many people heard of No More Heros/Zak and Wiki outside the hardcore? I've only seen it on the internet in reviews, maybe a couple of t.v. shows dedicated to gaming like G4, but beyond that nothing! Then look at a game like GH3 for Wii it sells out every time it hits the shelfs, they honestly cant make enough of them even with the dobly issue and no downloadable content it sells like mad because of advertisement!

This is not Nintendo's fault, There job is not to help sell 3rd party titles, in the end they make way more profit off there own 1st party games getting back every cent of profit instead of just license royalties off of 3rd party games.

The problem is Nintendo and 3rd party have never done huge buisness together specially in the last 10-15 years so this is new and they need to find a common ground when sharing advertisement space. I'm sure they will figure it out soon same way as xbox/ps has done with 3rd party sharing ad. space and money. Just because Nintendo isn't use to spoon feeding money to 3rd party doesn't mean they wont. It's a business if it makes a profit they will do it! And with this many Wii's in the world 3rd party can only lose by not supporting the Wii and supporting it as well as the other 2 less selling consoles!

The only problem with the Wii is how underestimated it is. Thats no ones fault but the people that underestimate it, they will be the ones not able to "print money" ha ha, the same way Nintendo does.

Last edited:
E3 this year will be very telling of wii support. I can't wait to hear what 3rd parties have planned.

Back