[GDC09] Iwata: Wii Sold Most 3rd Party Software In 2008

vashivihan

Let There Be Rock
Oct 24, 2007
canada
Wii Online Code
8799-9801-1544-7718
Nintendo CEO Iwata told the audience at the Game Developers Conference that Wii sold more third party software in 2008 than any other console.

A huge achievement, especially because the Wii often gets passed by for the biggest 3rd party games. 2008 saw Grand Theft Auto 4, Fallout 3 and Sould Calibur 4 for example on the PS3 and 360 while PS3 had a massive exclusive in Metal Gear Solid 4.
linkage

not sure i believe it....

From my own personal collection, I 22 games for my Wii, half that are from Nintendo, half that are from Nintendo and half that are third party. Earlier, I sold 5 games, 4 which were third party, De Bolb, Metal Slug Anthology, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 and 1 game that was first party, Battalion Wars 2.

I wouldn't mind some big budget 3rd party projects on Wii.

I believe it, 50 million units sold in 2 years 50 Million and still going strong. 731,000 units sold in February, during the biggest recession of our generation.

Nintendo hit a homerun, the wii can't become outdated because of it's legacy games. Where else can you get all your old favorites without hacking up an xbox? And no other system reaches every age group like the Wii.

Internet Hiccup Duplicate

Last edited:
I believe it, but look at the majority of third party games last year. Most of them were just alright while some were just awful. Although the quality of titles is improving and these information is promising, it will be interesting to see what 2009 brings the Wii in terms of third party sales.

Back