Where Is The 3rd Party Love?

raisinghelen said:
The Wii has a load of shovelware on it and more to come. The PS2 had a load of shovelware too but it didnt really do it any harm, in fact it made it look more impressive just because there were hundreds of PS2 games on the shelves compared to other systems. The Wii has cheap development costs (compared to 360 or PS3) so small developers can churn out more stuff on the Wii, most of it will be rubbish but there is always a chance of a gaming gem appearing or a decent new development team rising out of those humble beginnings. Its a good platform for people trying to break into the industry and it'll be even better when Wii Ware is out.

For the big third party developers its time to step up and put some real effort into their Wii titles as they can longer expect to get by with rushed games or shabby ports. Capcom certainly seems to be doing that already with original games and budget priced ports of their good games. EA has been very supportive to the Wii as well although their efforts are a bit of a mixed bag as usual. Ubisoft has thrown out a load of games but really needs more quality. Still for a console that was such a suprise success, the first year of third party Wii games hasnt been too bad.

The Wii seems like it has a great future, next year i will be buying Wii-Fit, SSBB and Mario Kart for sure. I hope there will be more must have third party titles to stretch my bank balance even further too, as some of the titles announced so far look very interesting.

Theres quite a bit of third party love already on my christmas list though, in fact its all third party. MOH:Heroes 2, Trauma Center:New Blood, Lego Star Wars, Zack & Wiki, Mario & Sonic and maybe Guitar Hero 3. Should be a very merry christmas. :yesnod:

trauma center=second party, same with mario and sonic(wel;l 2. 5 party is what i like to call it)

mushroomedmario said:
trauma center=second party, same with mario and sonic(wel;l 2. 5 party is what i like to call it)
Atlus and Sega are both third party developers, they just happen to like Nintendo a lot though.

Bliss said:
well Atomic im not arguing, just debating on how i feel the direction the Wii is heading.
reason for me to jump ship (never sell my systems hold them till i die) is im am just bored of controling lil cute fuzzy animals around a board that looks the same in every game.
now i agree with u there are a FEW decent titles coming out but i dont see much after that...why continue to play a mario game or a metroid game, granted they are great series but come on i can only take som much of getting my pipes cleaned by the plumber :lol: ..but anyway i do hope the wii does well.
Ok, well I get that you love your Wii and everything, but these comments are the same kind of comments that will keep people from missing out on an excellent console for "ALL" ages. Here are just a few titles, off the top of my head, that are good T+ rated games.

Soulcalibur Legends
Medal of Honor Heroes 2
Call of Duty 3
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
Resident Evil 4
Metal SLug Anthology
Battalion Wars 2
Guitar Hero 3

And these are just a few, don't be so quick to jump ship without giving the system a far shot. That's like saying "gee, I'm sick of movies. All they have are cute fuzzy characters" after seeing Bee Movie and Ice Age 2! C'MON!

Bliss said:
anyone can come in here an back the WII up but NO ONE will do a good job, the only thing the wii is gonna be good for is and i really hate to say this but "kiddie" games...yes the game play in itself it wonderful, but u will never see a game like Gears of War or Halo or Socom, or anything of that nature on a Wii...it just doesnt have the power.

POWER?!

what power are you referring to?

The Wii has all the power it needs.

The power which resides in gameplay (mostly innovative controls).

The kind of power which third parties are having a hard time to manipulate.

The kind of power which is slowly being discovered and is now revolutionizing gaming experience!

The kind of power that is being experimented on by third parties and soon enough will these famous third parties master the controls and perfect gameplay, and thus finally create games as good as Nintendo games.

Thanks, Mushroomedmario!
How'd I forget Monster Hunter 3? That game looks like it will be great!

I added it.

Anyways, looking at the list so far, you can see that it looks like we'll have a good year next year. And these are just what have been announced! Wait until it's actually 2008!

Nice post.
I can't wait for Disaster and the Fragile game.
Fragile game, apparently the power is out in the city or the world or something, and they need to restore the power or something along those lines.
Should be good.

I also can't wait for next year :D

CantGetAWii said:
Nice post.
I can't wait for Disaster and the Fragile game.
Fragile game, apparently the power is out in the city or the world or something, and they need to restore the power or something along those lines.
Should be good.

I also can't wait for next year :D

Sounds interesting. It's kind of strange how the girl of the game is dressed in what appears to be nothing but cloth. :\ I think perverted minds won't be able to help themselves.

As far as I can remember Nintendo hasn't always been the #1 source for 3rd party games. Have you guys ever read the history of Nintendo? (I forget the name of the book, i know it had a flying mario on the cover)

I don't know if Nintendo is still using their old strategies with 3rd party publishers as described in that book. You see back in the 90s Nintendo was so top dog they would charge companies to MAKE games for them. So it was a privaledge to make games for Nintendo. Nintendo also wanted control over the product and a big percentage of profit (the whole sony/nintendo break up is because of that)

It could be Nintendo still has this way of thinking or maybe 3rd party publishers are still burned by what Nintendo USE to do, if they don't do it anymore.

I think that Nintendo has changed their methods considerably. One of the NOA's said that they have nothing to do with third party games and that it was up to the developers to check the quality.

This is an interesting topic and I like where the debating is going. I am in complete agreement that the wii has just began and there are still plenty of new hot hits that will likely come out. Nintendo has a name in the gaming community that is a strong name. Sure it has had a few "cutesy" systems but once the developers can truly wrap their minds around the controls and the opportunities that exist within them instead of just mashing buttons, I think they'll start coming out with some new and worthy titles. Not to mention, truely good games do not come out in within 12 months of development. How long has the 360 been out before Halo3 was released? Most of the 360 and PS3 games that were "so amazing" when they systems came out, were tweaked versions of the same thing they already released for their predecessor.

And the thing is that the Wii DOES have truly great games already. But they have poor 3rd party support.

If you looks at the DS, it seems to have started to pick up some 3rd party support. I think the DS's life cycle won't reflect the Wii's, seeing that they are both part of the same day and age.

Nintendo stated that they don't plan on replacing the DS any time soon, and they want to increase the Wii's life cycle past 5 years.

Wow. A Wii commercial came on as I was typing this!

AtomicB said:
Nintendo stated that they don't plan on replacing the DS any time soon, and they want to increase the Wii's life cycle past 5 years.

well they better make that hard drive available :yesnod:

Bliss said:
well they better make that hard drive available :yesnod:

I would put money on it that does happen.

I also had another thought regarding innovation. How much cooler could the wii be if 3rd party support started to let you use your Mii on games. Yeah, the graphics of the mii would pale in comparison, but if you had a Mii that looked just like you, wouldn't it be sweet to play some of these other games as yourself? You could put Charlie Brown in Splinter Cell. Play Madden 09 as yourself. Ok so this is just a random thought that doesn't quite fit here, but it is also something that is a possibility that they could actually be working toward which is another reason to give it more time before jumping on the ps3/360 bandwagon.

Back