Is there any help?

millstream

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2008
Here's my problem as best I can explain it...

I have the sensor bar placed about 10" below my wall mount tv. We can do bowling and any sports game that doesn't require you to point the remote at the screen directly. The only way we can get the pointer to work is to point the remote at the ceiling light then the hand (pointer) appears on the tv and we can only move the pointer while the remote is pointed at the ceiling light. I hope you understand what I am trying to say but in a nutshell I have to point at the light to make the pointer on the tv move. Also, when I turn the ceiling light off I can't move the pointer at all. Can someone please help?:wtf:

My guess would be make sure the sensor bar is level front to back. Sounds like it is pointing more up toward the ceiling.

• your sensor bar is not emmiting invisible IR light... is it plugged in?
  • is it a wireless sensor bar, weak batteries, or turned off?

take a camera cell phone and take a picture of your sensor bar, believe it or not, your camera phone WILL see the invisible IR light from the sensor bar...

if you don't see the light through the camera phone then:
  • you have a bad sensor bar
  • or damaged sensor bar cable. (assuming it's plugged in and the Wii is powered on)
if your camera phone shows the sensor bar's light bulbs then adjust the remotes sensitivity to 3 or higher... read here for directions to adjust sensor bar sensitivity

Last edited:
Goto the Wii's settings menu for the sensor bar and up the sensitivity. That will intensify the amount of output the 2 Infrared LEDs in sensor bar emit. It will be easier for the Infrared cameras in the Wii Remotes to pick up the sensor bar more easily.

Last edited:
really, the camera phone will save you a call to tech support, unless you need a warranty replacement.... not just a camera phone, but perhaps any digital camera... USB PC cam, photography.:wink:

I messed the whole thing up last night... I forgot that you said I needed a camera to view the infrared light... Anyway, I destroyed the whole bar as I tore it apart but was able to power it with a 9 volt battery and view the light w/ my cell phone. Only problem is I didn't verify if the sensor bar was ever being powered by the console or not. By being able to power it with the 9 volt I still don't know if the problem was in the wire, plug or console. I am convinced the sensor bar was not working from the start. I called Nintendo and explained the whole situation to them... I have never dealt with a company so willing to satisfy their customers. I told them I needed to buy another sensor bar because I destroyed the original one. Nintendo said nope, it was under warranty and is sending me a new one. Kudos to you, Nintendo!

nxcmp said:
Goto the Wii's settings menu for the sensor bar and up the sensitivity. That will intensify the amount of output the 2 Infrared LEDs in sensor bar emit. It will be easier for the Infrared cameras in the Wii Remotes to pick up the sensor bar more easily.
nxcomp, adjusting the sensitivity does not increase power to the sensor bar, bulbs... it simply adjusts the remotes brightness/contrast to receiving light... :yesnod:

therefore, the remote will be more or less sensitive to other light-emitting bulbs or light reflections that are rather close to your sensor bar so the remote won't sense the interference...

idjut said:
nxcomp, adjusting the sensitivity does not increase power to the sensor bar ------ it simply adjusts the remotes brightness/contrast to receiving light... :yesnod:

Ok fine, it "enhances detection". What I said was wrong but it's a still similar idea.

Back