Iwata: Wii Is Not Next Gen

yeah, the PS3 will be alienating a large portion of gamers, who even if they wanted a PS3, they wouldn't be able to afford it. If third party support jumps to Nintendo because of its easily accessable price, Sony will have little to offer its customers and it will be doomed for this era of the "console wars"

i agree, once everyone sees the price of the ps3 they will be like:wtf: !!!
also i noticed that the percentage of money that the ps2 has dropped today would make the ps3 as much as the wii if it dropped the same way and this is after about 6 years!

yeah, I bought my PS2 originally for 250.00 USD when it came out ( a special deal at toys r us) well the PS2 is now what $150.00? That means that the price dropped 150.00 (because I believe 300.00 was the average price at launch).
Even if the 500.00 drops half the price (which I don't think it will) it will be the same price as the Wii. It might drop to 300 dollars but I think that might be as cheap as they get. Just speculation though

DRMARIO said:
iwata is very right, all you saying its next generation, youre wrong, cos liek he said ,it isnt an upgrade to the others. although, it is very high techm, and is coming into this new era of technology, if thats what you mean.
the wii is greta, and i see iwatas point, but all the people out there who are too engrossed in the ps3 and xbox, are too stubborn to even TRY and understand
i don't know why everyone is saying the wii isnt next gen i believe that to be next gen you either have to be more advanced then your last system and more inovative which the wii, xbox360, and the ps3 all are to me this just doesnt make alot of sense why or why not they are next gen systems....
oh yea it also matters when the system is released <--- that is the main factor

I agree.
Wii is next gen all the way. It's not graphical prowess that matters it's the Revolutionary (wink wink) idea that makes this system so awesome!

...Plus Nintendo kicks a$$

Hell people sayin Xbox 360 is Next generation is just stupid. Its just better graphics and more power and wut not. The PS3 i can hand it to them they got ALOT of techincal stuff cramed in the system im guessin they got next generation but the Wii is the defenition of Next gen. Changin the way of gamin completely turnin it upside down.

What does "next gen" exactly mean? Does it mean an updated generation of game consoles that are faster, better and more complicated than the older versions of game consoles? Eg Next Gen: PS3, XBOX 360, GC. Old Gen: PS2, XBOX, N64.

Or does it mean a new generation of game consoles? A fresh look in game consoles in the way they handle operations coming from the games and the console hardware? Eg: NES, N64, Wii.

Consider this: combine the two meanings of new and next gen with the history of nintendo, look at the consoles made since the birth of the NES.
New Generation:
Consoles:
NES, N64, Wii
Handhelds:
GnW, GB, DS

Next Generation:
Consoles:
SNES, GC.
Handhelds:
GBC, GBA.

I was thinking about the actual meaning of the word 'next gen'. Wii can say that children are the next gen of their parents. Children are new compared to their parents and are healthier, stronger and fitter than their parents. And they also have characteristics of both the parents and their grandparents etc... Therefore I can say that next gen can refer to the 'offspring' of the older generation. As a result next gen really refers to not only a new, fresh outlook in game consoles but also an offspring of the older generation of consoles.

Overall, the Wii, PS3 and XBOX 360 all are next generation consoles.

Hope this clears the confusion about the "next gen" issue and its semantics.

linkzeldagame said:
What does "next gen" exactly mean? Does it mean an updated generation of game consoles that are faster, better and more complicated than the older versions of game consoles? Eg Next Gen: PS3, XBOX 360, GC. Old Gen: PS2, XBOX, N64.

Or does it mean a new generation of game consoles? A fresh look in game consoles in the way they handle operations coming from the games and the console hardware? Eg: NES, N64, Wii.

Consider this: combine the two meanings of new and next gen with the history of nintendo, look at the consoles made since the birth of the NES.
New Generation:
Consoles:
NES, N64, Wii
Handhelds:
GnW, GB, DS

Next Generation:
Consoles:
SNES, GC.
Handhelds:
GBC, GBA.

I was thinking about the actual meaning of the word 'next gen'. Wii can say that children are the next gen of their parents. Children are new compared to their parents and are healthier, stronger and fitter than their parents. And they also have characteristics of both the parents and their grandparents etc... Therefore I can say that next gen can refer to the 'offspring' of the older generation. As a result next gen really refers to not only a new, fresh outlook in game consoles but also an offspring of the older generation of consoles.

Overall, the Wii, PS3 and XBOX 360 all are next generation consoles.

Hope this clears the confusion about the "next gen" issue and its semantics.

quite a good analogy but you could have also said the share a name like the next gen consoles after NES all had Nintendo somewhere in their name,

same with the GnW they had the word game

Back