Looking to get a Wii

momcat133

WiiChat Member
Feb 25, 2008
Hi, I'm a late adopter looking for information on the Wii. I want to make sure I buy the correct package, so I'm hoping you can help steer me in the right direction.:wink:

My kids are 5 and 8. I want to make sure I purchase games that require them to move around and are not violent.
So far I know I need the sports package, as my kids want the bowling and the baseball.

My big ? is - do I need to get the HD package? I have only HDTVs now and want to make sure that I have the best product I can get. Does anyone have this? Does it work or are there kinks to iron out?

What other accessories do I need to get? Do I need more than two remotes?

Thanks

momcat133 said:
...I have only HDTVs now and want to make sure that I have the best product I can get. Does anyone have this? Does it work or are there kinks to iron out?

What other accessories do I need to get? Do I need more than two remotes?

Thanks
  • Here's a couple sources for a component cable, ANY component cable
    • the cheaper, the shorter, the better :yesnod:
  • Here's my Rechargable Battery Solution :)
    • easiest, quickest, affordable
  • Additional Remotes?
    • Buy the WiiPlay game, comes with a remote ($50 pkg)
  • Accessories?
    • buy the Wii Zapper
      • your children are old enough to enjoy the free game with it
      • the game shoots targets and animals
        • warning... there are some stages which you shoot ogres
    • A Tiny Keyboard!
    • The Opera Browser - from the shopping channel $5
  • i believe you said you don't own a Wii, yet...
  • Games? - there is a ton...
    • I can recommend from experience:
      • Big Brain Academy - Wii Degree
hope this was helpful :yesnod:
visit my awesome profile :lol:

You're making the right choice in purchasing a Wii for your children. :D

Anyways, I have a couple suggestions of my own that you might want to take into consideration. While these two games won't require as much movement as say, Wii sports, or something along those lines, I would look into buying the following games for your children.

Super Mario Galaxy
In my opinion, one of the must-have games if you have a Wii. Super Mario Galaxy is immensely creative and filled with innovation, and it's a memorable, fun-filled experience overall. I can easily recommend this game based on my own memories of childhood...I was captivated by this game's spiritual predecessor, Super Mario 64, and this game is even better.

You mentioned you wanted the best product you can get. While the Wii, in terms of sheer computational power, isn't as powerful as the PS3 or the Xbox 360, this game is the best example of what the Wii can do, in my opinion. The levels are all brought to life by vibrant graphics and great art, and if my own experiences as a child are anything to go by, your children will love playing Galaxy.

The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
This game is a T-rated game, so it's up to you in deciding if it's suitable for your children. It isn't violent, though my definition and yours may differ slightly (the only things you fight are monsters and the like; there's no human conflict, and no blood).

I recommend this game because this is yet another example of great art direction, and while it's also available on the Nintendo Gamecube, I believe that it truly shines on the Wii platform. You simply swing the Wii-mote to swing your sword, while you move with the Nunchuk attachment. It's easy to play, and the game world is very immersive and beautiful.

With this title, as well as the last, I recommend it based on my own experiences as a child around your own children's age. There was another Zelda game on the n64, Ocarina of Time, that I would play, and I still look back fondly on those days. It's fun and rewarding to simply explore the world, and with Twilight Princess, it's definitely worth the money. If you want to give your children a gaming experience that will last them quite some time, Twilight Princess is the game you want.

Whew...I went on for a bit longer than I expected, but those two titles I whole-heartedly recommend for your children. It's all up to you, the parent, in the end; perhaps your children would prefer different games. Still, if they're new to the gaming world, these two titles will please them, I should think. They're both two of the best games on the Wii, and for good reason. They're not too difficult, making them perfect for newcomers.

I'm going to go ahead and stop now, before I ramble on any further, lol. Anyways, I hope you will consider my advice! You made a good choice in deciding to buy a Wii, and I hope your children have a great deal of fun with their new system. With the Wii being what it is, you'll probably end up playing it from time to time, too. It's truly a family system. ^_^

EDIT - A couple of upcoming games you might want to look into.

Super Smash Bros Brawl
It's a fighting game, and it's going to be rated T for teen, I believe, but once again, it will probably be suitable for children.

The super smash bros series is another great Nintendo franchise, and Brawl looks to be the best yet. The series is noted for it's inclusion of various Nintendo heroes and villains, and this one includes some other gaming icons, as well.

It doesn't capitalize on violence, by any means, and matches have you attempting to knock your opponent(s) out of the stage, rather than knock them out. It comes out March 9th in the U.S.

This is another game that will probably keep your kids satisfied for some time to come. :D

Mario Kart Wii
Set to be released in April, Mario Kart Wii will include the "Wii-Wheel", a steering-wheel type accessory for the Wii, for free. The Mario Kart series is another one of my childhood favorites, so once again, here's a game I can recommend from a child's perspective...that is, a younger child's perspective, I'm still relatively young myself. :p

Anyways, this game looks very promising, and I'm sure your kids will have a great deal of fun with this game when it does come out.

Well, that's about it. I hope I could help out, a little. :D

Last edited:
Back