Mac vs. PC

Mac or PC?

• Other (linux or something...really outdated; no-Windows)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Timo said:
Macs still have too many compatibility issues with the industry. I am sure they are fine for personal use, but when I buy a computer it needs to run the licences I already own and it needs to be directly compatible with any other machines I might be working with.
WHAT THE ****, are you a compleate idiot!! you clearly know nothing about computers.

If you emulate Photoshop in Rosseta on a mac, and run it natively on a PC, it will still run faster on a mac, so i don't so why your talking about running licences you already own, when it runs pretty much everything to my knowledge, and if it doesn't you always have boot camp, or you can VM it.

and how is a mac not directly compatible with any other machine? deeeeeer theres something called standards, do you think mac's connect to the internet in a different way? pfft.

Coming into a topic like this, and posting an opinion about it, when you don't know the facts is just asking for someone to come back and bite you on your arse..

Gaz said:
WHAT THE ****, are you a compleate idiot!! you clearly know nothing about computers.

If you emulate Photoshop in Rosseta on a mac, and run it natively on a PC, it will still run faster on a mac, so i don't so why your talking about running licences you already own, when it runs pretty much everything to my knowledge, and if it doesn't you always have boot camp, or you can VM it.

and how is a mac not directly compatible with any other machine? deeeeeer theres something called standards, do you think mac's connect to the internet in a different way? pfft.

Coming into a topic like this, and posting an opinion about it, when you don't know the facts is just asking for someone to come back and bite you on your arse..
Don't act like such a jerk. At work, our modeling software is written for a Windows operating system. These programs are developed exclusively for our workgroup, and everyone uses PCs. I know nothing about this new generation of intel macs, but I do know that IT would frown upon anyone who tried to bring in a Mac for networked use. (Regardless of whatever compelling arguments you may provide.)

I live in the real world, and I don't need to know anything about computers to know that I would be wasting my money on a Mac if I wanted to use it for work.

Timo said:
Don't act like such a jerk. At work, our modeling software is written for a Windows operating system. These programs are developed exclusively for our workgroup, and everyone uses PCs. I know nothing about this new generation of intel macs, but I do know that IT would frown upon anyone who tried to bring in a Mac for networked use. (Regardless of whatever compelling arguments you may provide.)

I live in the real world, and I don't need to know anything about computers to know that I would be wasting my money on a Mac if I wanted to use it for work.
Dude, seriously, we all live in the "real world.":rolleyes: And our "real world" isn't exclusively filled with computers running Windowz.

OK, you still haven't gotten the point that you can run Windoz on a Mac just like you run Windowz on any other computer. It's called Boot Camp and once you've partitioned the hard drive for the space that Windoz takes up, you install it just like you would on any PC. Also, if you worked at a half way intelligent IT company, you would be working in a mixed environment, i.e. one that works not only in Windows, but also in Linux and Mac OS X. On a mac, you can run all three of these either natively via Boot Camp, or all at the same time via emulation thanks to Parallel's Desktop or VM, which no other OS can do at the current time.

And if you don't think you'd ever be interested in a Mac, I'm guessing you haven't even seen Mac OS X Leopard, which is coming out soon. Just go here and click on the Time Machine and Spaces icons and tell me that's not cool. Sure, these things have been done before, but none have been nearly as intuitive/user-friendly.

Last edited:
Timo said:

So your calling me a jerk, but your coming into a topic about PC's Vs Mac's and your giving an opinon which is compleatly invalid because you know nothing about Mac's.

What is your modeling software written in? i bet a language which Mac OS X can understand, you just have to port it so it can start the app up, so what your basically saying is your IT Department is Lazy. What kind of Modeling is it you do? Data modeling?

I've always been a PC guy, and obviously, hated Mac's. But, my next computer will very likely be a Mac. My needs on the PC are getting more and more simple, and the Mac's seem to offer better long term reliability. Basically, time to move on. I've built pc's for years, repaired them, worked in a shop and built many different rigs. Although I'll be switching to Mac in the future, that will no way retire my PC use, I'll always have one of each ready for anything I need to do on a computer.

^Well said. While I love the mac, especially the intel variety, if I really want a gaming rig, I'm not spending the dough on a Mac Pro. While a MacBook Pro would probably be good enough for me, for games like Crysis, I'll build myself an AMD powered PC. The more options, the better. Wonder when Apple will ever switch over to AMD? I'm guessing it will take about the same amount of time it took them to switch from PPC to Intel.

Last edited:
Gaz said:
Just gotta say this, Mac is the HARDWARE, which is equal to PC which is HARDWARE.. so comparing the two, with the hardware limiations of the OS taking into mind, Mac is 3000x better, first off, PC/IBM-Clone(windows) can handel up to 4GB of Ram, which is perthetic. Mac can handel way up of that, and you can currently get up to 16GB of Ram in a Mac Pro. much other things to take note as well, but that is one of the most important.

OS X is far better than Windows, often the case, Windows virus's are caused because microsoft has no envolvement with the hardware it's OS comes into contact with, and thus can't control certain things. Comparing that to OSX, apple has all authority over it's hardware, not only does it install it in it's own machines, but they build there OS around the hardware, which is often why the OS is much more stable, not only that it's easier on the eye, it's also alot easier to use.

Who told you that PCs can not use more than 4GBs of RAM? :hand:
From the moment they have a 64bit OS (xp64, Vista64 etc.) they can use up to 32GB (if I remember correctly).
And Macs they use more than 4GB because they have a 64bit OS.

Its up to the OS if it 32 or 64bits. :wink:

I'm currently being a bad boy and running OSX on my PC. (OSx86 Project). I also run Ubuntu.

Now that may gaming has shifted to the Wii360, my next computer will most likely be a Mac, especially with all the draconian DRM/Activation/Monitoring that is placed in Vista.

JoeTheZombie said:
I'm currently being a bad boy and running OSX on my PC. (OSx86 Project).
Just had to say OSx86 Project is an awesome place. Now it's sort of been split up into a wiki (OSx86 Project) and a great news and forum (InsanelyMac). Really great community there. Wish I had more knowledge so I could post on that site.:D

Zakkorn said:
Who told you that PCs can not use more than 4GBs of RAM? :hand:
From the moment they have a 64bit OS (xp64, Vista64 etc.) they can use up to 32GB (if I remember correctly).
And Macs they use more than 4GB because they have a 64bit OS.

Its up to the OS if it 32 or 64bits. :wink:
Read what i said, taking into considerations of the hardware capabilites as well.. you have to take note of 64bit carefull, as many 64bit machines actually only have a 64bit bus, but use a 32bit processor. and thus can't use more than 4GB of ram. and good luck finding a motherboard that can take that much ram aswell haha :D

Gaz said:
Read what i said, taking into considerations of the hardware capabilites as well.. you have to take note of 64bit carefull, as many 64bit machines actually only have a 64bit bus, but use a 32bit processor. and thus can't use more than 4GB of ram. and good luck finding a motherboard that can take that much ram aswell haha :D

Whatever you say its just half truth. Because in PCs of course you can have whatever you need.
Why you take into account for example, only the 32bit PCs?
Why you say that its hard to find a m/b that takes more than 8GB of RAM?
In the same way there are macs that dont have even 2GBs of RAM. Or Macs that have only a single processor.
Are these the only macs available? Of course not. There very powerful macs at the market at the moment.

There is nothing that you cant do in PCs and you can do it in Macs, but on the contrary, there are a few things you can do in PCs than on Macs. Such us a lot more games, and much more applications and programs.

The only things that Macs have and I really really like and I miss it, is Design and a little more reliable OS than our XPs.

What you are missing is that current production Macs (ie, Intel based Macs) can run windows natively, or concurrently through parallels. This means that the Mac can run every single application ever developed for Windows, plus what is available on the Mac. Windows users can not run OSX, (unless you are willing to hack).

JoeTheZombie said:
What you are missing is that current production Macs (ie, Intel based Macs) can run windows natively, or concurrently through parallels. This means that the Mac can run every single application ever developed for Windows, plus what is available on the Mac. Windows users can not run OSX, (unless you are willing to hack).

I accept that.
But is not far away that the PCs will not be able to have MacOS.
But at the end why a PC to put a Mac OS and not put a Linux OS?

Anyway I leave that.

My posts had to do with "Gaz" saying half truth about PCs. Thats all.
At the same time I said a half truth about Macs but you correct me.
And I accepted it. :smilewinkgrin:

So I am not missing any point that he said.

I have no use for a PC other than for gaming. I used to be a real OS nazi... on PC's side... but I got over it. =) I LOVE MACS. I wish I had one. =(

Back