Major ProBlem on Wii Connection !! Help PLeasee !!

Fdot

WiiChat Member
May 29, 2007
Hey People !
Basically I just set my nintendo wii up to my wireless connection .My wireless router is upstairs and my nintendo wii is downstairs .The problem is is that the connection is pretty **** from my router(Which is upstairs) to my Nintendo Wii(Which is Downstairs).. I Cant Move The Wii or The Router , so is there anyways of making the signal strength better to downstairs ?

Many Thanks in Advance !

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx
some tips for maximizing the router's connection range (although its for computer)

You may want to find a router with a better signal? but that involves spending money haha

The wii supports both 802.11b devices and 802.11g the second one is much faster/better so if your routers a bit older maybe its time to replace it

Although the simplest solution would still be shifting around some hardware

hope ive been helpful

Hey ! i jus looked and found out that i have 802.11g .. does this mean itll run smoothly without jogging etc... ? like the ps2 .. when i played online on that it would seem to jog .. wud the wii have the same problem ?

i still need to figure out hoe to make the internet work on my wii T.T

What router are you using? There are a few ways to solve this problem. If your router has detachable antenna, get a higher power antenna. This is the easiest way, but it may not work very well with cheaper antenna. Second, you can get a wireless extender, but it is usually even more pricy than the antenna. Third, set up a wireless bridge using another wireless router. If you are using a Broadcom chip based router (e.g. Linksys, Belkin, USR, etc..), you can get another one to extend the coverage. I have my main router with DSL uplink in the basement, one router in the first floor, and 2 routers in the upstairs bedrooms all bridged together. Last but not least, just get a better router. I found the signal strength varies a lot with brands and model. Among Belkin, Linksys, and USR routers based on the same chipset, the USR one has the highest signal.

One route would be a signal amplifier, but those cost a lot. Second choice would be to google ways to make a homemade signal amplifier. I've tried making one before and the signal didn't improve, but in all fairness I didn't devote much time to making it and didn't follow the instructions to a T. Good luck and post back if you find a good way to improve signal strength.

k sorry for not mentionioning, i have a belkin 2.4ghz router (with two antennas)
have you all got any links to the devices you recommended ?

o yeh and how does a access point work ?? could anyone please describe it to me in a step by step process ? ? sorry

thanks in advance

Fdot said:
k sorry for not mentionioning, i have a belkin 2.4ghz router (with two antennas)
have you all got any links to the devices you recommended ?

Is it a F5D7230-4? What version number is it? If it is v.1444 or earlier, you may consider getting a dd-wrt firmware flashed. This firmware allows you to boost the wireless signal a little bit. So this would be the cheapest fix for you. If you do not want to take the risk, try the followings in your router setup.
First, If you do not have any 802.11b device, you may set the router to 802.11g only. That would help the transmission a little bit too.
Second, try switching to other channels. Do you have other 2.4GHz device, such as cordless phone, running at home? If you are in the US, you have 11 channels surrounding 2.4GHz on your router (14 for other countries). Use only 1, 6, or 11. Try each of them and see which one give you better signal. Only these 3 channels are far apart enough that have no overlapping bandwidth. If all these failed, you may consider the other options I suggested above.

Last edited:
Back