Miyamoto applies for game patent

FloYdian

Nov 4, 2007
CA
Computer-readable storage medium having game program stored therein, and game apparatus

User saved-data storage means S19 stores user saved-data which is generated as a result of a game play performed by a user. Digest saved-data storage means S48 stores a plurality of pieces of digest saved-data which are previously generated so as to be associated with predetermined scenes, respectively, in a game. Game start means S14 starts the game process without using the user saved-data and the plurality of pieces of digest saved-data. Game resuming means S12, S13 starts the game process by using the user saved-data. Digest game start means S4 starts the game process by using any of the plurality of pieces of digest saved-data. Saving means S19 generates the user saved-data, only in the game process started by the game start means or the game resuming means.

This is a patent that claims Shigeru Miyamoto as the inventor. You can read the whole Patent here.

i got this from wiispace forum.

This is part of the in-game hints and tips system that people were talking about when it was first revealed.

Game Start and Game Resume act as just regular game starting/saving/resuming functions.

Digest Game Start acts as the "watch and/or play the parts you want". It basically loads a finished game, and allows you to watch parts of the game or play parts of the game, choosing what part in the game you want to start at or skip to. There is no save function available in this mode, as that would be pointless anyway.

A lot of people seemed to be upset about the in-game hints and tip system without understanding how it would work (the thread about it on these forums was lost with the crash). I'm not sure whether the hints and tips will be available in regular gameplay (Game Start/Game Resume modes) or only in the Digest mode. I'm inclined to think it's not so much hints and tips, as it is playbacks of the previously saved completed sections of the game that are loaded only when you start a game in Digest mode.

Here is the original article that I first read about this: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/01/09/new-patent-describes-miyamoto-developed-hint-system/
While the language used in patents is miles above our heads, we feel obligated to try to report on it, because it's apparently Miyamoto's design, and it's potentially quite cool. If we understand correctly, Miyamoto has invented a system that allows players of vastly different skill levels to play adventure games like Zelda, with the ability to skip or receive hints at difficult areas. In addition to accommodating various skill levels, this is designed for people who don't have a lot of time to play games. In effect, it makes the skill level almost totally configurable.

One component of the idea is low-resolution "hint movies" that display the solutions to difficult puzzles at the player's request. In addition, there is a "digest" component that allows players just to watch the game's storyline up to the point of their choosing -- but only after a specified time period (presumably to encourage people to play the game for some number of hours before watching). Finally, there's a DVD-style "chapter" ability that allows players to start the game from a previous "scene" -- rather like the save system in the new Pikmin remake.

Note that the invention patent application (linked to in FloYdian's quote) is 469 pages long. It seems to include a lot of stuff that may not be directly related to this aspect of the invention (I was just skipping through some pages and reading the abstract on each page).

Last edited:
I wouldn't make much of it, either way the in-game hints are optional I'm sure. Its a nice way to reach to that non gamer demographic, but it doesn't interest me.

The link in the first post is not the one I thought it would be?? I thought it would be to THIS PATENT from which I've taken a few screenshots.

screengrab_05.png

screengrab_07.png

Huh... sounds like a good idea. I probably won't use it unless I've already beaten the game, but it's nice to see Nintendo continuing their efforts to make games accessible to everyone.

The link in the first post is not the one I thought it would be?? I thought it would be to THIS PATENT from which I've taken a few screenshots.

screengrab_05.png

screengrab_07.png

That is the same patent. The patent application is 469 pages long, and the one you reference is part of that patent application.

*Edit: Sorry, all 469 pages are not the same application, but they are all applications by Nintendo. It seems any link to the patent site brings up the most recent and steps back with each page, so it is hard to tell where the particular one described in FloYdian's post is (all the links on this page seem to point to a search for Nintendo on the patent application site, so most recent comes up first).

Last edited:
I hope with the implementation of this system in new games comes bonuses and unlockables for getting through with no 'hints' lmao

Back