need help with Wii and HD

judd

WiiChat Member
Aug 25, 2007
Hey, recently I bought the HD cables, and hooked them up to my 56 inch plasma HD TV and it still looks like crap, any suggestions?

It is supposed to be more sharp and very vibrant. Sometimes the letters are a little choppy

The Wii only has a maximum output resolution of 480p. The visuals will be much sharper with component video/progressive scan, but it will be pixelated on a large TV. There's no avoiding it without moving to a smaller display, but it's still heaps better than playing in 480i composite, imo.

You can hook it up but the WII games are all in 480p and not in HD format at all so you won't see much changes anyway.

mabee because its plasma my cousin started wingeing that the telly was fuzzy when he sits in front of our plasma

Like everyone else stated, the cables will ALLOW for 480P. Which means you still get the same resolution, but now you have 2 more things working for you, 1. better color seperation - textures will appear crisper, cleaner, and with finer detail. 2. You are now displaying games at a true 60FPS. Notice how water in RE4 moves much smoother once component has been added. BUT there are two downfalls no one mentioned. 1. The game must be made to do 480P AND 16x9 - not all games on the Wii do both of these, and sometimes may only do one or the other. 2. Underscanning. Titles such as Resident Evil 4, sadly Metroid Prime 3, and Super Paper Mario, all underscan your tv. Meaning - the image will not strech to the edges on all Widescreen tvs. However, I find the 2 downfalls to really be minor in the animation smoothness, and color enhancment.

Also your TV is fairly large, maybe you are sitting too close?

Howdy!

In some cases the scalar on your TV will make a 480i appear to be "softer", creating what appears to be less aliased (i.e., jagged) hard angles.

Also all Plasma, LCD, DLP (etc) are fixed resolution. That is they may take different input specs, but everything is up/down converted to the single native spec. Downstairs our Sony LCD projector is a 720P native - everything you see is 720P regardless of the source signal.

The scan converter in the TV handles this, *or* you can send it the native rez by converting it before the TV (like on a DTV HD STB or even an external scan converter by like DVDO, very pricey!).

While the native (or exceeding the native like 1080i broadcast) are incredible, upscaled source (especially low density signals like SD TV) quality has a huge range.

SD TV on our 42" (ol' school) tube based projector in the bedroom looks better than the Sony, because tube based systems adapt to the scan rate, refresh and don't have to re-encode it.

OK, a little bit of a ramble there but I think it's important to understand that non-native, upscaled signals are just so-so.

The bottom line is the amazing HD you might see on your Plasma from a near native source signal (like HD-DVD or HD TV) is handled MUCH better than non-native lower source signals, just something you have to live with.

I agree that the potential for improved color handling from the seperation of component alone is worth it.

I don't have our Wii just yet (it and all sorts of goodies are on a FedEx truck) but I plan on a little composite vs. component test for fun - excited to see how the 480P looks on the Sony.

If I get incredibly motivated, I might hit up a buddy who has an iSCAN 10 external scaler that takes Component/HDMI in and outputs native 720P or 1080i out via HDMI (it incorporates a pretty exotic D/A converter for the Comp->HMDI too).

~DT

To DT!

Dude what your syaing makes no sense to me at all! but i really want to understand!

on a previous thread i wnated help with my Wii and HDTV, maybe you can help? Im running the Wii 480p on COmponent, is this the best picture i can get for my philips 32" HDTV? and how do you think i should handly the brightness, colour etc settings?

If you could answer this i would really appreciate it dude!

Howdy D10 ~

Sorry, didn't even notice any responses in this thread after mine!

Bottom Line:

480P is better from a technical standpoint (for more than one reason), however, 480i might look better to you (though some of the other Prog Scan perks are lost). Simple thing to test if you have both cables, try both configs.

As far as tweaking the output, that's going to vary from display-to-display. On our Sony LCD projector, I like to use the pre-configured "Cinema" mode - it has the perfect settings for most games, though I've found on some action/survival type games, the dark levels still need a little brightness tweak.

Our Wii should be here tomorrow (and the component cable) - so I'm going to go through the same exercise myself! (I'm sure the wifey will say "stop playing with cables, I want to play Paper Mario" hahaha!)

~DT

Lol yeh i get the same from my wifey too, she hates the techincal stuff! :p

Thanks man, what cable is it that i need to test out the 480i, not scart right? and of course component is for the 480p.

Il try some of my TV standards settings to see if it works, but i have tweaked myself a bit lately and Zelda is starting to look beautiful (or maybe im getting used to it =p)

let me know how your test goes tommorow! and dude.... make sure u have zelda!!!!

She was even a hold out on HD, until the first time I fired up an NFL game, then she lost her mind :D In fact, just ordered the Gameday + Superfan (HD) this week.

In the US, the WII hooks up either composite (which is a single RCA for the video) for 480i, or component (which has isolated RGB RCA plugs) for 480p.

Interestingly enough, the Sony we have only accepts 720P/1080i signals in via the HDMI interface (related HDCP), but that works since the WII is 480p max.

Yeah, I think Zelda is probably a must own (or at least "must borrow" from the BIL!). Should last us for a long time - God of War II (*highly* recommended if you have a PS2) took us like 4 or 5 months, because we would get wrapped up in other things and abandon it for weeks!

D10Vieira said:
let me know how your test goes tommorow! and dude.... make sure u have zelda!!!!

Looks like the scheduled delivery got bumped a day (figured as much since it came from Orlando early today). Anyway, since we were out and about today, we popped into Target and picked up Zelda. We were just going to borrow the BIL's, but figured we take such a long time with those sorts of games, might as well have our own copy.

So everything is on deck, open, connected (hahaha, at least the component cable). Remotes are charged, just no Wii yet :lol:

Ahhh dude... i hate when that happens! mainly because im so impatient lol

nice one, zelda is a must have and btw im from the UK so to be honest i dont really know what you are talking about when you say BILS lol but wouldnt mind finding out?

for now just keep the remote fully charged, close you eyes and swing it like your swinging a sword, stick the other end of the component into an orange or something, see if you invent something =P

Back