Netgear WNR834B Problems

dotcom4179

Mii-n00b
Dec 24, 2007
My router is, as the title says, a Netgear WNR834B. I have it setup with WPA-PSK [TKIP] security and a passphrase 8-characters & numbers long. My laptop, which I'm typing this on, can easily connect to the Wii.

I go to the Connection Settings, click Wireless, click Search for an Access Point and it finds my router. I select that one, and click on the empty whitebox and type in my passphrase exactly as it's set. I confirm all that and say OK to test the connection. It sits there "testing" but eventually comes up with a 51230 error.

I've tried assigning it an IP myself using the MAC address for my Wii but that didn't work either :(

PLEASE someone help me! I can't figure this out and it's driving me NUTS!!! :( I'm not really this stupid and I have NO clue what I'm doing wrong!! :/

Thanks to anyone who responds!!

Turn off security because you don't want that on and change the channel to 11 if you already don't have set to 11.
Say if it worked or not.

Last edited:
Goofers McWaxalot

I have the same router, same settings exactly and i've got the same problems. I have really limited connectivity. I'm thinking it might be a problem with the Wii antenna. Have you tried moving the router closer to the Wii? That'll be my next step.

Wii_Smurf said:
Turn off Security
Set firewall to 'On' and DON'T tick 'Don't allow exceptions'
Should work :)
They're talking about a router. Last time I checked, these routers don't have firewalls.
Anyways, just turn off the security. You don't need it and it will work.

Netgear Security

I found limited success with disabling the SPI firewall on the router. After some research i found that this feature is causing the bulk of problems with netgear equipment. Personally, i feel wireless security is super important. I'd advise against running an unsecure LAN for whatever reason. (SPI is rad, but not 100% necessary) Signal strength is still the biggest problem i'm facing with the Wii and router. I've found that if i stick the wii inside a metal bowl i can boost the signal up a bar. It's an old trick that works ok.

Wii_Smurf said:
Last time I checked PC's Do :yesnod: :yikes:
Firewall's exist in both the windows software and in the router itself. SPI firewall in the netgear router examines all incoming packets and denies them entry if they are extraordinarily large. It's a really cool feature.

The problem was the security options. I refused to turn OFF security because.. well .. that's crazy :p

What I DID do though was... I switched to WPA2, and put in my password. Turned on my Wii, let it detect the network, put in the password and BOOM it worked :D

So .. for those that have this router, there's the solution that *I* found that works for me.

Back