New Camera Can Tell Exactly What's In Your Pockets From 80 Feet Away

manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
securitycamera.jpg

A British company called ThruVision has developed a camera that can detect items such as guns, drugs and explosives under people's clothes without, for better or worse, being able to see their genitals. It holds a lot of promise for places like airport security checkpoint but stands to open up a huge can of privacy-hating worms elsewhere.

The camera is called the T5000, and it sees objects based on the Terahertz, or T-rays, that they emit. The camera works because all people and objects emit low-level electromagnetic radiation. Every material emits a different signature of Terahertz wave, which lies between infrared and microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum. That means it can tell the difference between cocaine and flour but won't show the distinct outline of your danglers.

It's all well and good, but with the camera working from over 80 feet away you've got to wonder how long it'll be before a city starts installing these cameras on the street and arresting anybody walking around with drugs in their pockets. Where is the privacy line drawn? Will that make people safer or just make it feel like we're living in a totalitarian police state? It's tricky. Boy, I can't wait. The future is now, and it's unsettling!

Source

So those who love to do drugs have to be more careful in the near future.

Wow...That's crazy. I think the police and other types of law enforcement will love this camera. Although...There will be issues caused with privacy. We have Rights and anyone who wants to enforce them will fight back. On another hand, what would it matter if the law sees what's on your person? They don't care much and if anything, the recording will be put on TV with a black block over your face.

Those who have nothing to fear, no worries. Those who do, well, their problem.

Creepy. Its very George-Orewellian. Have you guys ever read the book 1984?

I think overall its a good thing. I think they should be installed all over the place. I am sick of seeing druggies and grafiti.

Hahaha Well, I doubt you need to worry about the casual, every day items such as bras making trouble for you. I'm sure there are people monitoring these or the cameras are programmed to pick up specific levels of these rays found only in guns and the sort.

Well even if they start to implement them, I don't have to worry. I live in Australia so we wont get them for at least another 20 years.

UUrgh
Another copy paste

Oh great now they can see me with my hands in my pokets

Sigh. Whatever happened to privacy? I know drugs and weapons are a problem, but it's going too far now. In the next few years Britain will apparently be getting biometric passports/IDs, a DNA database (well, we have that already for criminals) and devices in every car to monitor which roads you use (for road tax). Soon enough you won't be able to have a **** without the government knowing about it.

Napalmbrain said:
Sigh. Whatever happened to privacy? I know drugs and weapons are a problem, but it's going too far now. In the next few years Britain will apparently be getting biometric passports/IDs, a DNA database (well, we have that already for criminals) and devices in every car to monitor which roads you use (for road tax). Soon enough you won't be able to have a **** without the government knowing about it.
Are you serious?!?! I might just rethink moving to Britain. :ciappa:

I hope these don't become common...

These are gonna make things more difficult.

Napalmbrain said:

Well at least it came a little later then Orwell predicted. (I knew Huxley was
flat-out wrong.)

Chewy said:
These are gonna make things more difficult.
How
Unless you carry some kind of wepon around with you they wont matter

HOLD IT

Im screwd
Ive allways got some kind of wepon with me
Must detach my limbs

Oh the rich people are going to have so much fun to pay for those if the government are going to use them.

Back