New Wii owner, need advice

jonathanm

WiiChat Member
Jan 21, 2008
Hello everybody, I just joined and this is my first thread. Let me start by saying that I decided to buy a Wii after I played one for the first time shortly after Christmas. I pre-ordered one from gamestop.com this past weekend. Here is the deal I got:

Wii console and all the goodies it comes with (WiiSports, cables, etc)
Wii Memory SD 1.0 GB
Wii Charge Station
Extra Wii Nunchuk
Wii play with remote
Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime 3:Corruption
Including tax and overnight shipping, I paid $544.22 to be shipping on 1/29/08

Anyway, I have a few questions for the people of the forum that have much more Wii experience than I do.

1) Do you think the above deal was fair given the current Wii shortage (I paid $474 for $484 of merchandise plus tax and shipping). I know the bundle is just another way to sell things unnecesarily, but I bought this for my wife and I and we were definetly going to buy the console, the memory card, WiiPlay, an extra nunchuk and Zelda anyway. I think having to pay for shipping and having to buy metroid and a charging station for retail price is much better than paying $400 on ebay for JUST the console.

2) As stated above, I bought this for my wife and I to play because we're looking for something to do together, another way to spend time. Can you guys and gals give us any advice on fun two-player games that we could play together. I'm much better at video games than she is, so I want them to be more of a pick-up-and-play type of thing, not something you need to spend hours playing to get decent at.

3) A couple of my friends are saying I made a mistake and should have bought an Xbox360 or PS3. Did I make the right decision based on what I'm looking for? I really want something unique that lets you get up and move, be part of the game, not just sit there. They all told me that the Wii graphics suck, but I played WiiSports and the graphics looked pretty damn good to me (and I understand the graphics on that game aren't even a good reflection of what the Wii is capable of). Also, I think the wife and I would have much more fun with a Wii than say an Xbox.

Sorry about the long post, thanks in advance for any advice!

(Sorry if I asked anything that has already been posted and answering previously....I tried searching the forums for answers but I didn't find exactly what I'm looking for, but I apoligize if this has been rehashed a thousand times already)

wow... i'm too illiterate to read all that. :lol:

make sure you get wii play... it gets kinda lame reviews, but you're gonna hurt your arms... so these games are fun when your arms are tired... and you get a free remote with it... or you buy a remote and get a $10 game with it...

I'm good at cow racing on wiiplay

Guitar hero takes some practice but it is definetly addicting and is a lot of fun, although if rock band ever comes out you may want to save your cheese for that!

First of all, welcome to WiiChat, and I hope you stay for a long while. My name is Tyler, feel free to personally message me if you have any further questions.

1. That is a great buy. If you are as hardcore as you sound, Metroid will be a GREAT game for you. It is only one player, and would be fairly difficult for a casual gamer to get the hang of, but it has been one of the most anticipated games of the year for most hardcore gamers.
2. The wii is known for having a wide variety of mini-game collections games. At the top of the list is usually WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which has actually given birth to a new category of Micro Games, even smaller than mini games. Mario Party 8 is also a great pick-up-and-play game. If you're looking for something for yourself after you've been Zelda and Metroid, check out Mario Galaxy. Galaxy has recieved the 'Game of 2008' award, and is suitable for both hardcore and casual gamers.
3. From what you've shared with us, the wii is absolutely perfect for you. The wii's graphics are behind that of the Xbox and PS3, but we like to think that that isn't at the top of our list, priority-wise. That's because the wii has games for EVERYONE. Both you and your wife will fully enjoy the wii, I'm sure, which is something I wouldn't be able to honestly tell you had you bought a XB360 or PS3.

If you're still looking for a game in 2008, check out Super Smash Brothers Brawl. It is being released on March 9, and has been heavily anticipated for YEARS. This game will be the most hardcore game on the wii's roster to date, but the great part of it is that casual gamers can enjoy it as well.

Have a nice day.

Thank you, Tyler

I just wanted to thank you Tyler for the advice. I am a Wii newbie, since I have been out of gaming for a few years (college graduate, career had to come first, got married, etc) and I need all the help I can get to get back in the swing of things. I hope you are right that I made the right decision...now I REALLY can't wait for my Wii to come next week!

Hey man, you're the reason I'm here. I have information that you don't, and I like to think that it is my duty to change that.

Again, if you've got any other questions, I'm here.

Unfortunately, no Wii games really get you up and moving, aside from Wii Sports (but only if you really choose too; you can get by by flicking your wrist just as well as if you get up and do the motions).

For playing together, Cooking Mama might be fun for two people and it's only $20-30. The new Trauma Center has 2 player co-op, which is supposed to be good.

That was a great response from Tyler. And you should be very happy with your choice of buying the Wii. Hope to see you around.

I shouldn't mention this, but you should rep Tyler by clicking on his green mushroom under his avatar. :)

1) Its a fair deal its about $400 Australian Dollars for a base pack (Console, Wii Mote, Nunchuk, Wii Sports, Stand and cables etc.

2) Mario Party 8 is like a board game which is great for 2 player or has a dodgy storyline for 1 player.

3) Wiis are an innovation to the gaming world but X-Box 360's and PS3's are better for 1 player games or if you want state-of-the-art graphics.

PS: I like long posts:lol:

Looks like you got a pretty good deal. Metroid Prime 3 is an awesome game. I have a lot of fun playing Wii Play and Wii Sports with my Wife and kids.

Jamie

that package is pretty good. i dont see anything you in there they force youto buy that isnt worth the package price. except maybe the memory card, i never needed on when i had a wii.

based on what your looking for an xbox360 or a PS3 is not a good choice. wii was the right console for you and your wife.

as for other fun two player games, the possibilities are endless with wii.

also lots of people will tell you to get mario galaxy, personally i dont see what the big deal is, its just another mario game to me... but usually id get flamed for a comment like that lol. it's up to you.

its true the wiis graphics suck but thats not why u buy a wii. most wiig ames look worse than last gen games because developers are LAZY. but it's capable of slightly better graphics than an original xbox.. or so they say.

1) I do think you got a fair deal. I HATE bundles where you can't choose what you get, but if that's all that is available, and you want one, then you don't have many options. Like you said, better than $350+ for console only on Ebay. It's certainly cheaper than a lot of other bundles, also. You can always sell the unwanted extras on Ebay or Craigslist, and get what you want.

2) Some fun two player games.... Wario Smooth Moves (have to get through it once to have multiplayer mode, but it's worth it and you can take turns until then), Wii Play, Carnival, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, and I've heard Mario and Sonic Olympics is great.

3) Only you can decide if you made the right choice. Not your friends. It depends on what YOU like, and prefer. Sounds like you may have a bit of buyers remorse, because that IS a lot of money. But based on what you are saying, it's what you are looking for! The Wii is TONS of fun. Enjoy your purchase!!

I think you may the right choice to get the Wii instead of the other consoles, especially considering that you want to play with your wife, who you said isn't that much of a gamer. I think she'll have fun with it, and you will too.

As for another game. My girlfriend got me the Wii Zapper, which comes with a game. We like to play that, and my mom liked it too. Besides that, she just really like Wii Sports. But, I havent gotten anymore mini game type games, I'm sure she will like all those.

No offense but your mates sound like total tools.

Nothing should be based on Graphics in this day and age, I still play Galaga and Sonic!

You made a great choice, welcome to the family.

Your wife will get full use out of the Wii as all the features are great fun to use for anyone. I'm sure she will like the news channel etc.

If you got her a PS3 or a XBOX 360 they are focused on online play as their "second" goal if you will. First been providing great games :D

Last edited:
Back