NiGHTS - Journey of Dreams

I rented it, and I wasn't that impressed. Its an alright game, mind you I never played the original.

Good stuff: Visuals, Music

Bad Stuff: Controls

Like I said its alright, definitely worth a rent.

I haven't played it enough yet to say if it lives up to the original, which is on my all time favourites list.

Flying with the wiimote does seem a little tricky at the moment, I haven 't tried using a GC or Classic controller yet, but that kind of takes something away from NiGHTS and the Wii.

Some of the cut-scene visuals are really stunning, especially a part where NiGHTS is flying over water, but the cut-scenes do seem inconsistent, some of them look pretty bad, and at the start of the game it has far too many, you just want to get into the game. The game-play graphics are nice, big and bright as you would expect, and the soundtrack matches perfect.

I'm going to put some more time into it this weekend, but my first impressions I think it's a solid game.

havent heard too many good things about, thats why i passed on it

Wait a min

ITS OUT ?

(This shows that I havent walked into a game shop for a while)

I got it simply because I loved the original on the Saturn so much. I think it is definitely worth the purchase if you are a fan of the series.

I just think most people who didn't like it or weren't into it either didn't have a history with the game or didn't approach it with an open enough mindset..or just maybe it wasn't the game for them.

I think the game was a great nostalgic rush and would recommend at least a rental to any fans of the original Saturn classic.

Meh fans of the Saturn original are wait for the PS2 remake of it

The only prob
Sega are smegs so its Japan only

I'm sorry but Sony did not deserve Nights. They have more than enough exclusives to bleed dry, they don't need to assimilate one of the few remaining sega exclusives that to this day remain fun.
Seeing as he sonic has become a gamble as to the worth of his latest exploits.

Nights was originally just about the joy of flying and little else..mediocre story, decent visuals (for its day), and a very unique control scheme. All these elements came together to create one of the best known killer apps for the Saturn.
Seeing as how most kids went with sony at the time, few remain that recall the enjoyable experience of seeing how many links you could rack up before time ran out and all your precious blew chips went flying all over the place..then there was that ever-present and annoying easter-egg clock...I still hate the thing.

The Wii title tries hard to re-capture the elements that made the original so great. Although they kind of missed the mark with the wii-mote controls, the Game cube controller , and classic controller both feel right at home.

There are some flaws with the game..load time are kind of annoying, the voices are alright, but Nights sounds a bit androgynous. I think they intended this though, to make you wonder at to it's gender (although it is referred t as "he" in the game a few times in the wii title, the instruction booklets for both games state that we don;t know what gender nights is. Kind of a moot point but something I found worthy of mention since they thought that deep to try and keep you guessing.
The voice work I find bearable but not great. The graphics kind of made me wonder "was this the best you could do with ten years time and graphically competent hardware?" I mean they graphics aren't bad to me, just "lacking" if you will. I just feel they could have done a little better is all.

The other two issues I have are things I consider minor. You cannot skip cinema tics and there seem to be a bit of them..(not that I mind really)

The other issue is if you die in a level in stead of restarting right where you die, you gotta start the whole level over again.

I liked the game but then again, I'm a fan of the original, and have always held a fond place on my heart for the childhood memories of this game. Rent it for yourself before passing judgment, you my be surprised.

Extra Life Mushroom said:
I just think most people who didn't like it or weren't into it either didn't have a history with the game or didn't approach it with an open enough mindset..or just maybe it wasn't the game for them.

You didn't need an open mind with the first one. The game itself was good enough to overcome the first impressions most of my friends (and even I) had of the game looking silly and lame. Most of them approached the game from the mindset that they weren't going to like it and most of them couldn't help loving it. History with the game should be irrelevant. It's either good or it's not.

Back