Nintendo Wifi USB Dongle Help

Schmapdi

WiiChat Member
Jan 6, 2007
I bought the Nintendo Wifi USB Dongle the other day and I can't seem to get it set up. Nintendo's site isn't very informative to say the least.

I run their setup program, and it installs the adapter fine in Windows, but when it gets to the part about setting up Internet Connection Sharing it aborts with a wierd message about "please plug my wifi adapter into the USB port." Which, of course, it already is.

Anyone had any experience with this? Thanks.

If your talking about the wifi max dongle then my suggestion to you is to return it as fast as you can. I got that same thing then realized that it isn't sponsered by nintendo at all. I had so many problems with it i finally returned it and got the Nintendo wifi usb connector and it worked perfectly from the start.

No, it is the official Nintendo one. After googling the message it gives me - it seems to be a problem that a signifigant number of people are having.

o ok nevermind then. I had a different one sponsered by datel.

Hey, I use the USB dongle (at least until I can get my crappy wifi router working...) and, basically, stay away from Nintendo's software for this thing.

Have a look here for instructions on setting it up as a configurable access point which, most importantly, does not need to use the nintendo software. Instead, it uses modified Buffalo drivers and the ASUS wireless network management tool. This brings other advantages, such as being able to set WEP or WPA, as well as MAC filtering, and also being able to use the dongle to connect wirelessly to the internet on non-Ninty products, such as a laptop.

I resorted to this because the Nintendo software for the device just didn't work at all for me. The shared connection it set up just didn't work, meaning I had to create a Network Bridge, and once I removed the USB dongle or turned off the computer, the software never managed to load again, meaning I had to uninstall it, remove the network bridge (the setup program won't run if a network bridge exists), reinstall the software, remove the shared connection (again) and create a network bridge (again), all of which took about 7 minutes.

And, of course, if you're not using the Nintendo software, then you can't possibly have any problems with their installer any more :cool:

Oh, and the setup really isn't anywhere near as complicated as it looks at first glance when you open that page.

Last edited:
Thanks Corpus - It does a look a little intimidating - but I'll give a try later on and see if it works. My Dongle does seem to work fine according to windows - so I too assume its a software problem.

Well, I hope you can get it working. If/when you do, pm me and I'll add your wii code.

make sure you dont have zonealarm either. If you do just shut it down when you want to go online.

Oh, well I have zone alarm running and it's working fine for me. I think it's just a case of making sure your security settings allow the USB adapter to connect to the internet properly, like putting it into the Trusted zone and that kind of thing.

It's always worth a try, since leaving your compute unprotected is never too great an idea.

Back