nintendo usb wifi connector and vista

animemanY2

WiiChat Member
Oct 8, 2007
hi there I'm new to these forums I'm trying to installing nintendo usb wifi connector on my vista pc I've downloaded the 4.01 instalation software and followed the instructions on this site:

http://www11.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=5379760

once I've followed the steps the and clicked startup I go through the process has normally select language and all that the problem starts when the blue bar is filling up after I've plugged in the usb stick it will say setting up internet connection sharing and then a message will appear that reads:

internet connection sharing error (6)

and thats about has far I get but before that message appears and stops the instalation. anyone got any ideas?

uhhh,

im not 100% sure

but i think that the nintendo wifi usb thingy only works with windows xp right now

yes.... I know that. but apparently if you follow the instructions on the link I provided it should allow you to instal the usb on a vista setup. obviously mines not working and I was hoping someone could help me find what the problem is.

It is definitely possible to get a usb stick working with vista, you just run the setup and drivers in compatibility mode for windows xp. It's true, google it.

I have been trying to help animeman already, so let me run through & clarify for you all:

we have followed the steps on the page (he has given the link), up to this bit:

"Double click Setup.exe to start the setup. The program should not give you an error message if you applied compatibility mode correctly. Continue with the setup normally by following the on screen instructions."

The setup started properly (therefore compatibilty mode was set correctly), but the installation was halted with the message "internet connection sharing error". A quick google of this error + wifi usb + nintendo shows it's a fairly common problem, The only solution we looked into was some guy who suggested "check dhcp client is running" and it already was, so that wasn't the problem.

Unfortunately I had to stop there, I'm a very busy man so if I could hand the torch over to you guys at wiichat, it would be much appreciated. Animeman is not tech/google savvy, so any solutions that you do come across will have to be given step by step. It's frustrating because I know it can be done, the fact that setup ran at all is proof of that.

Thanks guys,
Lucothefish

Locothefish is correct i personally run vista, i purchaced my wii about month ago, and went straigth through and installed my usb wi-fi adapter and was online.... got my updates and so forth ... however reciently and i think due to some recent updates with vista i am no longer able to connect and my program for connecting is gone and when i try to install.... i have the same problems that animemany2 is having, i also have googled it and followed steps excetera and am as you now stumped.

other than as i said before i think it may have to do with recent upgrades to vista.

right after allot of help from lucothefish I finally got usb connector installed. but now I'm finding that while my ds and wii can connect to the usb connector they can't access the internet. i've diagnosed the network which the wifi connector is using but it only has local access and apparently an invalid IP adress after a bit of search I've found the fields which let you manually input the ip address dns and all that but I don't know what these need to be in order to allow the connector to actually let me go online.

could somebody please help me out?

i also have the same problem, the first time i successfully installed my usb connector onto vista. However, it couldn't connect with the wii (it was close enough and no interference). In further attempts to reinstall the connector, i now get the same internet connection error. Yes, I've uninstalled per nintendo's instructions after every reinstall and have tried compatibility mode.

This is one of the reasons why Vista sucks :ciappa:

blazure said:
... thanks for your unuseful comment, i only bought a vista since my xp won't start for some unknown reason ...

and btw, does the vista driver on http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/software/nintendods/winxp/en/index.htm
help anyone? .. it hasn't helped me out .. even though i have internet connection sharing on
I'm sorry about that. Time to help. The drivers in that tutorial are version 1.04. Maybe if you use that version of the driver it will work.

nope, i've tried every single version i've found like 2 times and i still can't fix the problem :( ... the root of this seems to be that the usb can't find a way to connect to the internet, not a driver issue ... thanks though

Could it be that a firewall is blocking it?

Back