No New Console Until Needed, Nintendo Says

tdog7

Banned
Aug 5, 2007
Concord, Ca
Wii Online Code
7914-9240-2291-0710
At Nintendo's recent financial results conference, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that there was no need to follow the current industry trend of releasing a new console every four to five years. According to Iwata, "as we continue our research and study for new hardware, when we will be able to launch a new kind of hardware will actually depend on when we can change entertainment completely, and so have a strong impact on people around the world."

In response to the current trend, Iwata said that "scheduling for a rather fixed launch date 4 years from today, regardless of future changes in the industry and the market, appears to be too inflexible an approach to us,"

"Also, since Nintendo's hardware engineers and software creators are always communicating closely, only when both teams agree that it is time to challenge the market with new hardware that we will launch it. So, it is not a correct observation that we are having any trouble deciding on the launch timing of the next hardware."

Iwata also denied rumors of a new DS. "We are not suffering from the shortage of new ideas for DS. I heard that some of the attendees to our October 10th conference were expecting to hear about a new portable machine announcement, but we never had that kind of notion in the first place,"

i would agree if nintendo put extra hard drive, more online games and elimination of friend codes.

^agreed.

im glad they are not going to follow that trend though... Wii is probably my last console until i graduate frmo college

i dunno. its not like theres a time limit. isnt this what its like with every big company? no new console until needed?

the wii can support up to 1080p, but nintendo won't do it

Old topic ;)

But somehow I saw this coming. If you think about it: The current consoles are a bit different than the last one's with there online communitys.

So they can "live" longer if the company handles the online part good

I think this is a bluff. There are too many reasons to move the gaming system to the next level whatever that may be.

What do people want out of their console?

1. good games
2. social elements both in person and online
3. some measure of convergence with other media devices to save space and combine features
4. full compatibility with modern TV's, i.e. 1080p or better
5. portability

Elements like data storage are relative. The next console will undoubtedly have much more storage so hopefully hard drive expansions will not ever be necessary accessories.

it'll last, people jus belie "POWER" is alll, clearly its not, cause its the weekest of the 3, and its owning in sales, it'll last.....

Back