No Way is this a 3!!! - Official Baroque Thread!!!

Frog

WiiChat Member
Oct 21, 2007
Nintendo Power kicks old-school hardcore gamers in the face by giving Baroque a 3!!!

Some of us know this game will be awesome and could care less about the review scores! This thread is for those of us who will be dungeon-crawing old-style in the warped tower of Neuro!!!

You can see nice video-clips of the various characters and enemies on the developer's web-site. Just click on the portraits and watch the videos for each character/enemy.

http://www.sting.co.jp/baroque/wii/chara/index.htm

Atlus Baroque site...

http://www.atlus.com/baroque/

Story

The cataclysmic "Blaze" devastates the world, distorting both the world and the laws of nature. Twisted Meta-Beings now wander a barren and warped planet, and the state of the world grows worse with each passing moment.

In order to survive in this world, people cling to their delusions, called "Baroques", and become warped by their own ideas.

Sometime in the future, the protagonist awakens, having lost his memory.

A red-pupiled man with large wings gives him the following instructions:

"You'll atone for your sin only by going to the bottom of the Neuro tower and healing the world."

And so he roams, carrying nothing but guild for a sin he doesn't remember committing. He heads to the Neuro Tower to save himself...and the world.

An Ever Changing Dungeon

The Neuro Tower, like the rest of the world, is constantly distorting. Room structures, pathways, and item locations will be different every time the protagonist enters, affecting the player's strategy.

A World Affected by "Death" and "Reincarnation"

Baroque is very dependent on the player's actions and interpretations of the information revealed. You can leave in the middle of the conversations with characters if you wish, but you may miss out on important dialogue that enables you to piece together the whole story. Even the player's "death" will affect the world. In Baroque, the protagonist's death does not mean that the player's game is over. Discoveries and progress will be made through repetitions of "death" and "revival."

Combat Strategy with Equipped Items

There are various types of items to be found in the Neuro Tower. By choosing your equipment effectively, the protagonist can become formidable in battle. "Weapons" differ not only in strength but in attack speed, range, and accuracy. It will be important to select the items and equipment that are most effective as the situations in combat change.

Item Fusion

The Cursebringer Angel, a character encountered randomly in the Neuro Tower, has the ability to fuse items together. You may obtain useful and mysterious items by throwing unwanted items to the Cursebringer Angel. You can also use the Cursebringer Angel to exchange rotten flesh and hearts for fresh ones.

Item Collecting & Upgrades

Items found during the trip through the Neuro Tower will disappear upon reaching the bottom, or if the protagonist dies. However, by using Conciousness Orbs located in the Neuro Tower, the player can send items to the Outer World to be used in subsequent adventures. Mastering this concept allows the player to keep upgrading the equipment.

Plentiful Options

There are plenty of optional settings, such as "Game Configurations, " "Scene List," "Item List," "Event List" and "Sound Test," once the game is finished. "Baroque List" was also added in this remake.

IGN screenies...

baroque-20080305094738301.jpg

baroque-20080305094739692.jpg

baroque-20080305094740989.jpg

baroque-20080305094742285.jpg

baroque-20080305094743692.jpg

baroque-20080305094745238.jpg

baroque-20080305094746535.jpg

baroque-20080305094747863.jpg

baroque-20080305094749285.jpg

baroque-20080305094750316.jpg

baroque-20080305094751457.jpg

baroque-20080305094752910.jpg

baroque-20080305094754160.jpg

baroque-20080305094755550.jpg

baroque-20080305094756925.jpg

Last edited:
While a 3.0 does seem harsh, it does mean that there is very little going for the game. When a game gets a 5-7 you can argue it was undeserving. But when they give a game a 3.0 out of 10. I'm pretty sure that means its pretty crappy.

I'm not saying the game doesn't look like it has potential, perhaps they just didn't do a good job making it live up to that potential. No reason to get defensive until you actually play it though.

It probably has really bad controls, jerky animations, next to no/impossible gameplay. Or it could be quite good.

I havn't read a single review of the games I have before I bought them.

I am pretty sure this game is gonna be awesome, but only loved by a select few. I like the art-style and the fact that it has random dungeons. Not the kinda game that will catch the eye of the masses.

Games like this are rare, and the only reason this is even like it is...is that it is an old Saturn game getting resurrected! I miss these old-schol hardcore dungeon-crawlers!

I actually do pay attention to reviews, and while I can allow for a little based upon personal taste, "3.0" concerns me. Especially with a game that I had high-hopes for. However, I'll reserve judgment until the game is released and we get an official review from the likes of IGN.

sremick said:
I actually do pay attention to reviews, and while I can allow for a little based upon personal taste, "3.0" concerns me. Especially with a game that I had high-hopes for. However, I'll reserve judgment until the game is released and we get an official review from the likes of IGN.
Even with bad reviews of weird or obscure titles, I still rent them to see for myself. I have found many times times with titles like this that reviewers bash a game like Circle of Doom because they expected Real Time Strategy or Action instead of a dungeon-crawler like the game actually was.

I can see Nintendo Power expecting Baroque to be Tales of Symphonia when it is more like a 3rd person Wizardry.

The same goes for movies. I won't refuse to watch a movie because of bad reviews. My opinion is what matters. And my opinion is not formed until I actually see/play the movie/game.

It definatley looks like a very good game, not just the graphics, you can see the gameplay goes pretty deep (or atleast there is SOME depth) when you look at the stats etc, your able to level up and become better.

Thats always good, but we will see when more reviews come.

Nintendo Power giving them a three worries me because I had high hopes for this game.

A couple of my friends and I are looking forward to this game. I'm surprised it didn't get a higher score, but I'll still check it out.

well take it from someone who owns baroque that this is an amazing game. you will not be dissapointed if you like dungeon crawlers/ action rpgs.

my best/simplest description would be sword of mana and diablo had a love child named baroque. cant wait for the remake i give the original 8.5/10

Back