Ok, You Experts...Figure This One Out

kkamann

Cool Dude
Jul 22, 2007
I hope someone can figure this one out....

I keep losing my Wii WiFi connection with my router after a few days (not sure exact number). It works great and then it suddenly stops. I'm using WEP-128. It will not re-connect, no matter what I do...Just so everyone knows I'm not a total dumbarse, here is what I've done.
  • Same result on two different wireless routers
  • Same result on WEP and WPA (I'm NOT going unencrypted)
  • Signal strength is high
  • Tried the connection test again, thus triggering (supposedly) the automatic DHCP retrieval
  • MAC address for the Wii is setup in the router
  • Tried setting up new connections in Wii (like Connection 2, Connection 3)
  • Rebooting (hard reboot) Wii/Router
  • Cleared all Internet settings and set it up again.
  • Set the channel on router to 1 and 11
The only thing that will make it connect again (that I can tell) is to reformat the Wii completely and go back to Day 1.

Although I can save my games (non-Internet games) to the memory card and remove it before reformatting the Wii, I lose my Miis that aren't on a Wii-mote. Anyway, I shouldn't have to do this.

kkamann said:

I keep losing my Wii WiFi connection with my router after a few days (not sure exact number). It works great and then it suddenly stops. I'm using WEP-128. It will not re-connect, no matter what I do...Just so everyone knows I'm not a total dumbarse, here is what I've done.
  • Tried the connection test again, thus triggering (supposedly) the automatic DHCP retrieval
The only thing that will make it connect again (that I can tell) is to reformat the Wii completely and go back to Day 1.

Although I can save my games (non-Internet games) to the memory card and remove it before reformatting the Wii, I lose my Miis that aren't on a Wii-mote. Anyway, I shouldn't have to do this.

Make a static I.P on your router and manually configure the connection on your wii with the static I.P you gave your router.

kkamann said:

bizarre.

you've probably looked at this , but what is you DHCP lease time set to?

is it possible that somewhere along the line you're getting an IP conflict with
another device/pc?

failing that, consider doing what Patrick793 has suggested....it's a pain in the
arse configuring everything to have a manually assigned IP address, but it
does prevent possible IP conflicts (unless you manually assign 2 devices the
same IP!)

i've had to do the same with my set-up, i recently got a nokia e61 which
for some reason does not like DHCP, turned off DHCP in my router and set
all IP's manually...touch wood, everything's ok now.

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out this evening. BTW, I am using an Apple Airport Extreme. Does anyone have this router and had any problems with the Wii?

After doing some quick research, I'm not sure why the MTU default is zero. You would think that you would want it as high as possible. I will change that too.

why dont you get the Wifi usb thing from hmv or virginmegastores or online its only like £30 / but if your in america i dont know what shop you could get it from and it would prob only be £20/$40 because everything is cheaper in america.

Wii in america $250/£125 Wii in UK £180/$360

I can't see why people would prefer USB WiFi adapter for ICS over direct connection to a wireless router.

Back