Playstation Vita Update 1.80

BluRayPSP

TF2 Best Characters
Jul 7, 2009
Arkansas
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Tomorrow will be the Update that allows Playstation 1 titles to be compatible with the new handheld. However; it seems that some of the announced games may not make it, at it's launch as suggested. That is still unknown.

Wait... What? The PSP has had PS1 compatibility before the Vita was even announced, and just now the Vita is gonna get said backwards compatibility? Now that's just silly, Sony. :lol:

Better late than never, I s'pose.

I read from articles, was that the Playstation 1 games for the PSVita would have delayed the system altogether. However, I felt they were going to add it at one point on the basis that the PSP already had PSone games, so why wouldn't the more powerful? It is better to have now, than never like PS3 backwards compatibity with PS2 games, which it does not, yet it is compatible with Playstation 3 and 1 games (and not 2).

Well, that certainly makes more sense. It ain't like someone would buy a PSVita on launch to play PS1 games, so if includin' PS1 compatibility would'a involved a delayed release, that's sensible to just include it later on via update.

It is better to have now, than never like PS3 backwards compatibity with PS2 games, which it does not, yet it is compatible with Playstation 3 and 1 games (and not 2).

Wait, the PS3 ISN'T backwards compatible? That's just wrong. =/ At the very least, didn't the non-slim models play PS2 games?

They didn't make the vita backwards compatible on the getgo as a marketing tool in order to put a sense of urgency towards purchasing it. They are still doing the same thing with it by marketing all over the place that there will be no more new releases for the PSP, only on the new Vita. Quite the same as Nintendo is doing by releasing the 3DS XL. The 3DS has been out for awhile, but now with the launch of a larger type of system for it, they are also announcing sometime this month that no more DS games after the release of Pokemon black and white 2 will be made, only new releases on the 3DS will be made afterwords. It's all just marketing tools as to outdo the competition, I.e the playstation move, 360 kinect, so on and so forth.

OMG! Just been playing FFVII‚ MGS‚ and Rayman 2. Funny part being that they still have not updated the Vita's version of the PSN Store.

Wait, the PS3 ISN'T backwards compatible? That's just wrong. =/ At the very least, didn't the non-slim models play PS2 games?

Metal Gear Solid 4 Playstation 3 80GB Consoles are capable of Playstation 2 backwards compatibility. I think there are 60GBs as well that are compatible. However, the slims do not have that. I even called SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment of America) about it, they said "The reason that the Playstation 3 does not come with the backwards compatibility is because many consumers already own a Playstation 2" which left me dumb struck because I never came around Playstation 2. I came around Sony more towards the Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 when Nintendo not thinking about big games. However, I liked that Nintendo launched the Wii with the full backwards compatibility with their last gen games; the Nintendo Gamecube because they were slightly more powerful that the Playstation 2.

They didn't make the vita backwards compatible on the getgo as a marketing tool in order to put a sense of urgency towards purchasing it. They are still doing the same thing with it by marketing all over the place that there will be no more new releases for the PSP, only on the new Vita. Quite the same as Nintendo is doing by releasing the 3DS XL. The 3DS has been out for awhile, but now with the launch of a larger type of system for it, they are also announcing sometime this month that no more DS games after the release of Pokemon black and white 2 will be made, only new releases on the 3DS will be made afterwords. It's all just marketing tools as to outdo the competition, I.e the playstation move, 360 kinect, so on and so forth.

That is not their idea. Their idea is to get their hardcore audience in on the most powerful mobile handheld device that is on the market. If you have noticed the PSP is still $129.99 and I haven't seen it drop since they have launched the PSVita. To me, I think the idea their behind keeping the PSP at the moment may still attract consumers that are still unable to afford Sony's first ever version of a handheld while at the same time can still purchase the latest hit movies via PSN. Since they still have a service they can offer that part of the audience why let go of it? I don't know if you noticed the lack of commercials for the Vita? Plus, the reason they released it was not to give you an impulse purchase. Good god, you willing to run out with $249.99 without thinking about what you're going to do with it? I also think that they did that because they probably felt that releasing the unit now, would allow them to make money as they work upon an update to fix the issue they wanted to address before launch. They didn't however want to miss their promised release. As far as Nintendo's Strategy, they don't have one, they just make the same thing over and over. Since people liked it the first time, they think that their is something new in the new one just because it's in the title. NEW! (But the same) Super Mario Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have added so much support for the v1.80 update. Music App giving us some playlist (still pisses me off having to use devices to make playlists for a device though), Photo App by giving an additional format, and the Video App giving it the ability to repeat the video over and over, along with 1.5x speed and we can actually see a thumbnail of the video before viewing the content. New Home Menu (LiveArea) non-touch key access, which means you no longer need to always use the touch features to navigate where you want. The new ability to be able to play Playstation One titles, although the US only has 9 titles while other countries have more (If you have a Playstation 3 [US], you can download other titles from the store that are not currently available, however; not all work as of yet). Even the PSP emulator has even been updated. You can now use touchscreen controls for Vita games, along with additional control support through the right joystick (most of the controls for the right joystick were available even before the update). The Web browser now supports rear touch, along with new search txt bar, which the spot has been filled with the new scroll2top feature. They also have added an additional txt symbol box redesign, still cannot say that is a overall improvement however; I haven't used it that much.

The irony is that 1.81v is currently available.

Back