Please I Need Help

xpirate77

Wiiiiii
Oct 15, 2006
sorry to make this so urgent, but im leaving for work in like a half hour, and am going to buy wii and stuff right after...so i just need this answered

im going to go out and buy a wireless router today..
now, my pc is running on just a regular wired broadband connection...so do i need to set up the router on my computer first?

if i do, thats going to be a problem, cuz i would have to buy a pc card for my computer just to set up the wireless router..

if anyone could
1. recommend a router for a good price, that could probably be found at like a walmart(thats whats closest)
2. explain how exactly i set it up

that would be amazing
just pleeaassee help me out..

xpirate77 said:
sorry to make this so urgent, but im leaving for work in like a half hour, and am going to buy wii and stuff right after...so i just need this answered

im going to go out and buy a wireless router today..
now, my pc is running on just a regular wired broadband connection...so do i need to set up the router on my computer first?

if i do, thats going to be a problem, cuz i would have to buy a pc card for my computer just to set up the wireless router..

if anyone could
1. recommend a router for a good price, that could probably be found at like a walmart(thats whats closest)
2. explain how exactly i set it up

that would be amazing
just pleeaassee help me out..

1) Just buy the 49$ linksys G router
2) Put in the CD and follow the wizard. Will show you what to do with pictures even.

yea but my problem is, my computer isnt set up for wireless...

its connected on a hard line broadband, no wireless

so basically, we can pretend i have no computer here, and im buying a router JUST FOR THE WII and i have a broadband connection..

solve it for that scenerio..

i mean, unless i dont need to be connected to the router with my computer to set it up..but that wouldnt make sense

As already suggested pick up a wireless linksys g router:

Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router: Electronics
The Linksys Wireless-G broadband router is really three devices in one box. First, it's a wireless access point, which lets you connect Wireless-G or Wireless-B devices to the network. There's also a built-in four-port full-duplex 10/100 switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices. Connect four PCs directly, or daisy-chain out to more hubs and switches to create as big a network as you need. Finally, the router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.

That's all you need.

so not to be redundant, but i just just hook the router to my broadband modem thingy, and then the wii should just pick it up?

you'll plug your modem into the router and then branch the router out to your pc or whatever devices.

Yes the Wii has built-in Wi-Fi so it will autoconnect.

ohhh, wait the wireless router has the ability to connect a hardline to a pc too?.. like it doesnt only have wireless capabilities?

like im connecting an ethernet cable from my modem, to the router, then an ethernet cable from the router to my pc?..

and then the wii will pick up the wireless automatically?.

will i have to set the router up on my computer?

Yes, your setup will be exactly like mine. Your wireless router also has several (usually 4) wired ports in addition to the wireless. You will use the ethernet cord to connect wireless router to computer and your Wii will pick up the wifi. Be sure to set the WEP on your router so that only YOU can use your internet.

Back