Post Official We have a Wii Post!

[DT]

Gearhead Surf Coder
Aug 30, 2007
Vilano Beach, FL
OK, we actually got ours in today!

FYI, this was the first post in the "Got our Wii", though technically at the time it was only ordered:

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/8136-official-i-got-wii-thread-page55.html

So this is the Post-post :lol: Shipping note: C's free shipping was via Pony Express...very...slow...

I just wanted to ramble on with some observations, thoughts, etc., from our first day of ownership (even though we've had the BIL come over pretty frequently with his [and his PS3]).

Our current gear:

WII
Extra Remote + Chuck
Component Cable (no name brand)
2GB PQI SD Card
Nyko charger system
MP8
Zelda

My thoughts in no particular order:

We fired it up in ~10 minutes since I had the controller charged, the cable ready! Immediately connected over to the wireless router and downloaded the current firmware/updates.

We are hooked up to a Sony 50" LCD widescreen - configured the Wii for 480P and wide format, looks terrific.

We had a silly amount of fun making our Wii's :D

I was a little sad that the browser is a "pay" item now - $5 isn't really much, just thought it's a great selling point as a free function.

The free pack-in game(s) are really fun - we still have a blast with bowling and golf even after playing them dozens of times.

Played a full game of MP8 - team mode we and the wifey vs. the computer. We won (we put them on easy, hehehe). The simple graphics combined with the interactive experience is more fun than any photo realistic game I've played on competitive platforms

Opened but have not fired up Zelda yet, we will later tonight!

The Nyko charger seems like a winner - works great so far, charges while you wait your turn, looks good, doesn't need to be at "USB length" (has it's own PS). The rubberized grips are a nice bonus.

The photo viewer is excellent - it may wind up being deprecated in favor of a new HTPC, but it's quick and easy for now.

I downloaded a streaming media server that's supposed to be compatible with the WII (though you have to have the browser). Sounds neat, I'll report more on this as I have time to experiment.

I popped in Metroid 2 (Gamecube) just to see it fire up - looked great! This was neat: plugged the wavebird receiver into port one on the side, picked it right up. Plugged our old GC memory card into the correct slot, picked up our old save game. I didn't realize that (or so it seems) you have to use a GC controller on GC games - I wasn't expecting "motion emulation" but I thought they'd just do a simple control mapping (I guess you'd need a 'chuck for the analog emulation?).

More to come later!

~DT

We played Zelda for an hour or so last night - as fun as I would have expected. Plenty of non-combat exploring in the starting areas - some interesting game design involving the WII controllers.

I understand it takes a while before the game really takes off, but great so far.

[DT] said:
We played Zelda for an hour or so last night - as fun as I would have expected. Plenty of non-combat exploring in the starting areas - some interesting game design involving the WII controllers.

I understand it takes a while before the game really takes off, but great so far.
Yes it does, and believe me it only gets better.

Sweet looking ride BTW, one of the first things I noticed on this board :D (I'm a bit of a car enthusiast, OK, I'm sort of a nutjob about cars...) The Bullitt style wheels look really sick - repros?

blueovalboy7 said:
Yes it does, and believe me it only gets better.

Jeebus! It got all crazy last night - don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played, but it turned a little darker, and I'm a little different now :D

Last edited:
[DT] said:
Sweet looking ride BTW, one of the first things I noticed on this board :D (I'm a bit of a car enthusiast, OK, I'm sort of a nutjob about cars...) The Bullitt style wheels look really sick - repros?

Jeebus! It got all crazy last night - don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't played, but it turned a little darker, and I'm a little different now :D
Haha, yea I know what you mean.:lol:

Thanks for the compliment on the car, I absolutely love the car, it's pretty much my main concern outside of school and my gf. Yea they're replica bullitts, 17s all the way around, I could sit and talk cars for a long time, but that's what car forums are for right?

Last edited:
i wasnt a fan of twilight princess personally, the beginning WAS slow, and it DID pick up..but still, it wasnt that fun for me.

glad your enjoying your wii. i reccomend the godfather and Resident Evil 4 if you havent played that on the ps2/cube already. and maybe ssx blur, its fun if your into that type of game.

SensesFail said:
i wasnt a fan of twilight princess personally, the beginning WAS slow, and it DID pick up..but still, it wasnt that fun for me.

glad your enjoying your wii. i reccomend the godfather and Resident Evil 4 if you havent played that on the ps2/cube already. and maybe ssx blur, its fun if your into that type of game.

I might borrow RE 4 - we played the GC version so I understand the WII version (beyond the control system) has some expanded/new "mini" levels like the PS2.

It's been so long it's easily worth a replay for free!

Last edited:
blueovalboy7 said:
Thanks for the compliment on the car, I absolutely love the car, it's pretty much my main concern outside of school and my gf. Yea they're replica bullitts, 17s all the way around

Yeah, I have a ton of fun tinkering around with mine - currently on deck to do a cam (and support components) and in the middle of an HID retrofit. I track mine on occasion so that keep me on top of maintenance too (don't need any failures at 150 :crazy: )

blueovalboy7 said:
I could sit and talk cars for a long time, but that's what car forums are for right?

Agreed. I spend enough time talking about cars on all my car forums :lol:

[DT] said:
Yeah, I have a ton of fun tinkering around with mine - currently on deck to do a cam (and support components) and in the middle of an HID retrofit. I track mine on occasion so that keep me on top of maintenance too (don't need any failures at 150 :crazy: )
Yea, you definitely don't want failure at 150, that just wouldn't be good.

Agreed. I spend enough time talking about cars on all my car forums :lol:
What do you drive?

An '03 Z06 Vette - fun car, we bought it through the museum delivery option, picked it up in Bowling Green, drove it home to Florida! Most of my mods have been cosmetic or track enhancements (has custom seats,hood, rear fascia, 19" CCW's, etc, etc.) I've done some small boltons like headers/intake, tuning. I had thought about going FI on it but I told myself I would never get into another street car that was modded to the point it sacrificed "streetability".

I had a highly modified Supra before the Vette, and it was fun at shows and the occasional weekend cruise, but wasn't something you'd take for long road trips. FI is fun, but not really usable on the street, not the best power option for road track use and it really does introduce a whole additional level of complexity.

One reason I opted for a cam (and later heads) - NA is pretty much fire~n~forget once everything is dialed in.

~DT

[DT] said:
An '03 Z06 Vette - fun car, we bought it through the museum delivery option, picked it up in Bowling Green, drove it home to Florida! Most of my mods have been cosmetic or track enhancements (has custom seats,hood, rear fascia, 19" CCW's, etc, etc.) I've done some small boltons like headers/intake, tuning. I had thought about going FI on it but I told myself I would never get into another street car that was modded to the point it sacrificed "streetability".
Very nice, Z06 = Respect in my eyes, you don't need to do a lot to them to get a decent power increase, and F/I wouldn't be necessary IMO. There are a few guys on my Mustang forum that have C6 Z06s and one has a couple bolt ons, x-pipe, and a tune and dynoed 520 rwhp, 505 rwtq. Not too many have C5 Z06s, the one that has the C6 I was describing had one, but sold it when he got the new model. He says he has taken it up to 206 mph, I believe he was racing two other vettes flat out. (On an airstrip)

I had a highly modified Supra before the Vette, and it was fun at shows and the occasional weekend cruise, but wasn't something you'd take for long road trips. FI is fun, but not really usable on the street, not the best power option for road track use and it really does introduce a whole additional level of complexity.
I wish I knew the feeling of F/I. What all did you have done to the supra? I will eventually, but for now I'm content with my n/a 302. Much more pep than my dd, 91 cherokee sport.

One reason I opted for a cam (and later heads) - NA is pretty much fire~n~forget once everything is dialed in.

~DT
One major reason I love n/a is you don't have to worry about boost or any of that, and honestly I'm glad I don't have an ecu to deal with, it's just tweaking little things here and there.

It's probably easier to say what WASN'T done :lol:

Custom paint (the first done in Graphite Grey Pearl), RM carbon wing, RH wheels, AP 6 piston brakes, T04R big single (~650RWHP), everything polished, all brand new interior, Sparco custom seats, Top Secret carbon hood, TS fascia, TRD bars, TEIN coilovers, custom 4-point, roll cage, custom radiator, oil coolers, Eclipse system, blah blah blah, heheheh.

I had a new C6Z on order - finally got into the final build and my dealer called and said $5K over (we had a "gentlemens agree" for MSRP) - that would have been my 3rd Vette from them, lots of family business, etc., that they pretty much screwed themselves out of. I kind of got to a point where I didn't want to spend double over my existing ride which already has a good bit invested in aftermarket. Starting with a new Z, I'd still want better seating, aftermarket wheels, etc. The brakes are only so-so for track duty (the "padlets" are painfully thin). The main buying point was the 427, but I can do something close for much less (built L92 426CI for under a 1/3 of the price delta of the cars).

I love to tinker around so I figured this was a great platform to stick with, we bought it right up front new in '03, never had the smallest issue. I'd rather drive a highly customized C5Z in the long run, and keep tweaking it for fun (for example, I'm on my 3rd set of aftermarket wheels!)

Maybe I'll pic out my sig with some of my rides, seems like a good theme.

~DT

Back