problem calibrating wiimote for gun games ... ideas?

ericuf

WiiChat Member
Mar 12, 2009
i have a 52" TV (I think that might be part of the problem?) ... the top of the TV is about 5 feet off the ground (ish). I've tried the sensor bar at the top of the TV and the bottom (about 2.5 feet off the ground) and just can't seem to nail a gun calibration (house of dead overkill, ghost squad, link's bow) .... Would love any help!

they're not meant to calibrate...
my tv hangs on the wall like yours...

for more natural handling of the zapper i put my sensor bar at the bottom of the TV, but told the wii it was located at the top of the TV.

this allowed me to hold the gun in a more natural position... and other non-zapper pointing...

hope this helps.

Gidget: Some of these "light gun" games have an in-game calibration for the pointer (I know for sure that Ghost Squad and HOTD: Overkill do), that are supposed to allow you to set-up your aiming to line-up with the cursor so that you can aim down the barrel (HOTD will let you completely remove the reticle to play purely by aiming like real light gun games).

Ericuf: I'm not sure if there's any real solution for you. It most likely is a combination of the screen size and possibly the distance from the screen you are playing. I did a quick search and in a review for Ghost Squad the reviewer mentioned that he could not get the calibration dialed in either. He said that he had to be at about 10' back from the screen to get it close enough to be usable, but that it was still not quite lined up. Perhaps you could try calibrating/playing these games at certain distances until you find that magic distance that will work.

Note that beyond 15' or so you may start to have problems with the pointer not functioning correctly, this is due to the sensor bar being designed for distances no greater than about 12', though 15' does work ok, and sometimes 20' works, but results may vary with the environment. This is due to the width of the sensor bar (the distance between the arrays at each end), as the further you move away, the closer those lights appear to the remotes IR camera until they overlap and can't be distinguished (the cursor will start to jump around and not track well).

Back