Problem with Wii and the internet

simpav

WiiChat Member
Sep 24, 2007
Hi

I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having with the WII.

Until a few days ago I could get the inernet on the WII with no problems but now I have as situation where the connection test works fine but when I try to visit any sites - I get an error saying the the cannot be found, the error says 'Internal server error 240017'.

I have had look elsewhere and it looks like changing the channel on the router could could be a solution but I cannot do this as to enable the 108mbps you can ony use channel 6 ( Netgear DG834GT connected wirelessly), also it has been working fine since I first set it up.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

It's possible that too many other people have set up routers in your vicinity on the same channels, and now you're having interference. Unfortunately, your situation is a side-effect of the unorthodox method that some companies have gone with to get "108" Mbit/s: that of hogging multiple channels. It is not only not polite (you're not the only one on your block who'd like to use wireless) but it also sets you up as a bigger target for interference and problems.

You can confirm the interference question by using a tool like NetStumbler.

I would re-examine your situation to see if you really need 108Mbit (considering that you probably rarely get that througput anyway). Certainly dropping to standard single-channel 54Mbit 802.11g isn't going to slow down your internet connection any. How much data-transfer do you actually do wirelessly computer-to-computer?

Your options are probably limited to:

1) dropping down to single-channel 54Mbit and picking a less-crowded channel (1/6/11 are your only real options).

or

2) Going with the wired RJ45 LAN adapter and bypassing wireless altogether.

yea mine had the same code coming up and i had to see what ip adress, subnet, gateway and dns servers my computer was using and i gave my wii a lil different ip adress than my computer like example: if your computers ip adress is 182.123.1.86 then you can have this for your wii 182.123.1.-- change the last 2 --'s to numbers for example to like 54 or something. then you put the exact same subnet, gateway, and dns servers on your wii that are on your computer.
that sounds pretty complicated but if you need to know how to see your ip,subnet etc. on your computer and how to put them on your wii just tell me

If he is using a router, he should be using DHCP and IP conflicts should not be an issue.

I would not advise the average user to deal with the advanced setup issues of using manual TCP/IP settings over just using DHCP.

i'm using a router and if i put 2 computers with the same ip adress then none of them work because of a ip conflict, it's really simple setting up the TCP/IP settings if you do it once or twice but like you said if he's a average user he might mess something up and it'd be my fault pretty much so simpav use my instructions at your own risk haha but if you do wanna give it a try just tell me and ill give you exact instructions on how to do it.

Right, you cannot have two computers sharing the same IP address. However this is only an issue if you disable the DHCP and try to do all TCP/IP settings manually. By default, the router should be set up to do DHCP which eliminates the need to worry about this. Even if DHCP has been turned off, he should just turn it on. It is far-simpler to set up your network settings using DHCP and you don't have to worry about all the specific TCP/IP stuff or have to worry about conflicts since DHCP prevents that.

Thanks for your replies guys

I decided to clear all setings and set them up manually before I tried anything more complicated as this seems to have worked for some people, now getting 'could not connect to remote server'.

By the way DHCP is turned on on my router and everything was fine until a few days ago with just basic settings ie I did a search for networks, it only found mine, I selected it and then entered the WPA key and all was well.

The only thing that I can think of that may have had an effect is the fact that we lost the internet for a few days due to exchange problems with the ISP.

Any ideas.......anyone........please

Back