Pronouncing words, when did you learn you were an English N00B? lol

Wiired said:
I'm sorry my good friend, but there is no way in hell, that 'Byuakuya' is pronounced Bea-Ku-Ya :p maybe By-U-A-Ku-Ya :D where did you get that name?!

And Squall7, I say Yow-shi myself :)

Edit: Pras is pronounced Press?!?! I've been thiking it as.... well Pras haha.
I pronounce it as Byu-a-kuya, but I am just making it easier for others. I got that name from Bleach. I loved it the moment I heard it and it stuck.

Brawny said:
Ok, What words have you recently learned that you have been saying wrong your entire internet career?

English + only typing = bad pronunciation. :p

mine:

PNG.... used to say "p. n. g." while it should be "ping"

GIF....used to use a soft "g" while it should be hard.

I have never in my life working around people who working in A/V production, Design webpages, do photoshop 5 hours at a time, and just genreally sit and do AV **** with there $5,000 cameras hear anyone Say Ping Image. Never ever have i heard that. GIF yes(pronounced either way) but Ping? never heard of it. just say PNG.

When i was about 6 i pronounced Ethernet with a soft E, it sounds retarded.

I have been saying bimps for .BMPs, is that right, lol ?

@Ryan. I have no idea. Never worked with the things as paint hasn't been on my computer for 4 years now.

Byuakuya said:
I pronounce it as Byu-a-kuya, but I am just making it easier for others. I got that name from Bleach. I loved it the moment I heard it and it stuck.
Admittedly I'm just lazy. I say Boy-a-ka. Sorry.

Brawny said:
Ah, squall bringing in the Characters.

4 words..Lord. Of. The. Rings.

People who haven't read tolkien's index on proper elvish pronunciation piss me off. LMAO
Never got into Lord of the Rings myself, either the book or the films. I realise muchos work has been put into them, but traditional fantasy doesn't inspire me as much as non-traditional fantasy.

How about, Yuffie. Yuh-fee or You-fee? Tidus was a wierd one, cos we would say Tide-us, but in Kingdom hearts, it's Tee-dus. Supposedly, it's to do with the Japanese pronouncing i as an e. Would make sense.

mr_resi said:
i hate ppl who say mare-e-oh instead of mar-e-oh
Not sure about Mare-e-oh, but I say Maa-Rio. Unless I'm doing an impression of Mario himself, in which case I do say Mar-Rio, for comic effect.

wiired said:
And Squall7, I say Yow-shi myself
Damn. Opinion dropped soo much. Lol. Nah it's fine. I think Yoshi says it that way too.

Question, is Yoshi a Pokemon? They both have an uncanny ability to speak their own names and nothing else of the English Language (or Japanese for that matter).
"Yoshi, I choose you!". Mario hops on and rides off into the sunset...

Last edited:
Wiired said:
Roffles, it should be pronounced Wired or Wee-erd.. in my head it is anyway, therefore, that's what it is :cool;
I've always pronounced it as Weird, is that the way you intended it to be pronounced?

Can't think of any at the moment.

Wiired said:
Roffles, it should be pronounced Wired or Wee-erd.. in my head it is anyway, therefore, that's what it is :cool;
I pronounce it Wee-erd (because "Wii" is pronounce "Wee", so it makes more since).

Umm....can't think of anything atm....well, there is ETA. I didn't know that for a looonnnggg time till Kwon told me. "Edit To Announce"...how hard is that to think of? You'd think I would have figured it out sooner.

Also, people. Why don't we all come to terms and pronounce all follow types by what letters they consist off? PNG. should be pronounce P-N-G, GIF. should be pronounced G-I-F, PSD. should be pronounced P-S-D....it's not that hard. If i'm like a lot of people, the majority say "JPG" pronounced as J-peg, so that'd be fine. But the lot of file types just need to be said how they're written.

Last edited:
ETA can also mean "edited to add" which is more appropriate as that's what you're actually doing.

ETA: TLC uses it all the time :p

Riviet said:
ETA can also mean "edited to add" which is more appropriate as that's what you're actually doing.

ETA: TLC uses it all the time :p
I know, that's why it pissed me off so much. >.<

Squall7 said:
Question, is Yoshi a Pokemon? They both have an uncanny ability to speak their own names and nothing else of the English Language (or Japanese for that matter).
"Yoshi, I choose you!". Mario hops on and rides off into the sunset...

i cant remember if yoshi was in any mario (accual mario) games but i know he had his own game, similar to croc 3d or crash banicoot, otherwise i dont know where he came from either

Back