PS3 - Chec Hard drive space?

Dec 23, 2006
West Mids, England.
Wii Online Code
4655-2810-0795-9892
Hopefully somebody can answer this

basically i want to know:
How If possible i can check how much space my PS3 is using of the hard drive installed in it..?

I have the 60 Gig so i would assume i havent really used any yet.. but when i came to download a fiel from the store it told me i had 47 Gig left..
So where Did the 13gig disapear too..? (When I hadnt put anything on it till then)

Last edited:
Yea, and dont forget it needs alot of space to put its system files since its practically a computer.

It's like a PC. It may have a 250 GB capacity, but you'll only have around 240 upon arrival, because of system files, extra software, and process logs. Same holds true for the PS3.

Lol so.. the PS3 brags about a 60 gig console when really it won't hold THAT much stuff.. how amusing.

surfinrach90 said:
Lol so.. the PS3 brags about a 60 gig console when really it won't hold THAT much stuff.. how amusing.

Please put on your helmet :tard: The hard drive will hold 60gb. However the ps os takes up room on it. What is so hard to understand about that? You are a true nintendo fanboy. your head is shoved so far up your ass you can barely breathe, let alone think.

Last edited:
In many peoples eyes there is one thing worce then a fanboy, and that's people that call other people fanboy's. Stop being stupid, in all actual fact what is wrong with someone just liking one company? The chances are that people who call someone a "Nintendo fanboy" are just insulted because they found a bad feature about their own beloved company and they are really just a fanboy themselves.

If what spirit says is true that 13 Gig has gone missing to items such as the main operating system ends up taking 13 gig up, this seems slightly unfair to advertise this product as 60gig which really misleads people into thinking they have 60 gig for themselves.

However this has majorly gone off topic, all he really asked was how can he can check how much hard drive space he has left, can anyone actually answer this for him?

I would also like to know this, since i just downloaded resistance demo aswell as gran turismo. Would be nice to know how much space i have left

ps: the resistance demo is a bit dissapointing...anybody know how I can delete it?

WiiGod said:
Stop being stupid, in all actual fact what is wrong with someone just liking one company?

Because then they become a Tool. Its not gamers that have to be loyal to the companies, rather the companies that have to be loyal to the gamers.

Yoda once made a comment concerning this. "Fear leads to ignorance, ignorance leads to bias, and bias... bias leads to the fanboy side". This tends to pop up in many gaming forums, and strangely enough a fictional character is wise beyond his years.

If what spirit says is true that 13 Gig has gone missing to items such as the main operating system ends up taking 13 gig up, this seems slightly unfair to advertise this product as 60gig which really misleads people into thinking they have 60 gig for themselves.

How did they advertise wrong. They advertised you get a 60gig hard drive, not that you would have 60 gigs of free space.

60gb = 64424509440 bytes

60gb (hdd) = 60000000000 bytes = 55.8 GB

Like every system that includes a hard drive, part of it is partitioned. Sony purposefully holds onto 10% of that hard drive space for operating files. It means if you screw up your space, you can reformat and not effect the OS. This is normal for many machines with an OS installed. Every HD allots a certian hidden partition for recovery.

This isnt just with a PS3... ipods, xbox, they all have this to varying degrees.

However this has majorly gone off topic, all he really asked was how can he can check how much hard drive space he has left, can anyone actually answer this for him?

Its under system info.

People really need to try and learn the basics of the Firmware. Its not that hard. They should either look in the manual or just get to know it before they play.

Wii&Ps3 said:
Please put on your helmet :tard: The hard drive will hold 60gb. However the ps os takes up room on it. What is so hard to understand about that? You are a true nintendo fanboy. your head is shoved so far up your ass you can barely breathe, let alone think.

Its funny how you bring the Wii/Nintendo up in every topic, that guy didnt even mention Nintendo. That is pure fanboyism there buddy. Keep the Wii out of here unless its NON Fanboy comparism.

Well i found Where to check space finally..
Is Under System Information - In the settings..
And from looking i can confirm you lose 5Gig It seems from the conversion as my HDD space was displayed as 46GB/55GB..

The only things i put on myself are a couple game saves an 1 Demo.. so say take a GB off for that. The rest must be the back-up OS incase the machine goes down for whatever reason..

Ah well long as i dont run outta space il be happy lol ;>

spirit0flight said:
Well i found Where to check space finally..
Is Under System Information - In the settings..
And from looking i can confirm you lose 5Gig It seems from the conversion as my HDD space was displayed as 46GB/55GB..

The only things i put on myself are a couple game saves an 1 Demo.. so say take a GB off for that. The rest must be the back-up OS incase the machine goes down for whatever reason..

Ah well long as i dont run outta space il be happy lol ;>

=) read my post above this one. It explained it all.

Back