ps3 fans come and help me

anthonybest1

WiiChat Member
Apr 28, 2007
Wii Online Code
3428-8826-2456-3690
i'm thinking of getting a ps3 the 40gb but this model cant play ps2 games right? is that a big think and how do the ps2 games play on the ps3

thanks

correct... 40gig ps3 can not play ps2 games. it depends on if you think that's a big thing or not... i never got a ps2, so getting a ps3 with backwards compatibility got me opened up to the ps2's HUGE game library. i've heard/read from others that BC is not that big of a deal, because either they're interested in ps3 games, or they already have a ps2 and do not mind going back and forth between systems.

how ps2 games play... as far as my experience goes, i've had no problems whatsoever with the ps2 games that i've played (~20-30 played and/or rented). there was an update to the ps3 a couple months ago that upscaled graphics of ps2 games as well. some people liked it, others didn't really notice, but overall, i don't remember hearing anything negative though.

hope that helps!

i have a ps2 but i dont like having too many things in one place i thing i'll get the 40gb oh and the ps3 is reigon free yes ?

sasquatch0,

which version of the PS3 do you have? I'm thinking of going with a 60GB because it has the original chip for backwards compatibility. I've heard the 80GB uses emulation and therefore, there is the possibility that not all PS2 games will work (sounds like a concern some 360 owners have with trying to play original Xbox games). Both versions are sold at pretty much the same price, just the difference being the extra 20GB and a game.

Thanks in advance to ALL that respond to this thread.

tsbf said:
sasquatch0,

which version of the PS3 do you have? I'm thinking of going with a 60GB because it has the original chip for backwards compatibility. I've heard the 80GB uses emulation and therefore, there is the possibility that not all PS2 games will work (sounds like a concern some 360 owners have with trying to play original Xbox games). Both versions are sold at pretty much the same price, just the difference being the extra 20GB and a game.

Thanks in advance to ALL that respond to this thread.

i have the 20 gig. i got this back in... dec or jan earlier this year. looking back, i probably would have gotten a 60 gig for the wifi. it's actually more convenient than i thought it would be (didn't realize this until i got a wii recently, heh)

you're correct with the emulation. 60gb (ntsc) had the emotion engine chip, and 80gb (and pal 60gb) uses software emulation. ntsc is generally north america, and pal is generally europe and asia. last i heard, 80-90% of the games were compatible with the emulation (the majority of the games not being compatible were older games). if you already have in mind what games you'd want, you can check out http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus and look up which games would be ok with the 80gig.

another piece of insight... i've also heard some people upgrading their 60gb hard drives into 160 and 250's... i know that 60 gig's already sounds like a lot, but there are some people out there who use the ps3 for what sony had originally intended, which is a universal media entertainment center, so they put a ton of songs, pictures, and movies to take up the space. but i *think* that if you just use it for demo's and game saves, you should be good. (i'm almost filled up on demo's on my 20 gig though... there are some demo's out there like heavenly sword and ratchet and clank that are bigger than 1 gb's big).

ANYWAYS... what i'm trying to say is that even with the 80 gb, there *might* be a possibility that you might be upgrading it anyways, so the extra 20gigs might be a mute point.

Last edited:
Back