Psychology of the wrist strap

devitek

Holy Trinity of Nintendo
Sep 7, 2007
Is "the universe" specific enough?
Wii Online Code
6202-9304-2933-3293
A few days ago, I was playing Galaxy while my wife was doing something in the other room. Our little one (she's 18 months old) was running around the house, doing all the things they do at that age.

Inevitably, at one point during my gaming I heard her start to cry in the hallway just outside the room I was playing in.

The normal, parental reaction here it to get up and rush to see what the problem is--you can just tell by the way they cry. I'm basically a normal parent, so that's what I wanted to do.

But I didn't.

Actually, I couldn't. As has happened several times since I bought the Wii, I found myself feeling tied down when I needed to get up to address a situation. In my head, I keep thinking that I need to get up, but I can't move because I can't just drop the Wii remote--it's attached to me.

So, a few days ago, I removed the wrist strap (gasp!).

Since then, when I've had to get up on the quick, it's been easy to just drop the Wii remote and nunchuck and run to the rescue. In fact, it's easier to just play a little here and there and then put the thing down. Before, I felt like playing was a commitment. There was a huge process involved with just starting to play. We have the Nyko charger stand, the new remote jackets, and of course the wrist straps. To get the remotes on the charger, we have to pull the bottom half of the jackets up and pull the wrist strap through it at least partially to allow the contacts on the remote to connect with those on the stand.

Now, I just plop it on there. No worries.

So, I know that the wrist straps are there for safety purposes. But, I'm not currently playing Wii Sports or any other game that has me crazily flailing about with the Wii remote.

My question, if there ever really was one, was whether or not anyone else has experienced anything like this before. Have you? Is anyone else playing sans wrist strap? Or am I just a crazy maverick that needs to get back on that bandwagon and just buck(le) up?

I had the same problem with answering the phone

I wore it because it made me feel more in the game and in strikers I could tackle harder

I've been leaving it off recently though

The only action my straps see is when I'm playing Wii Sports or when someone who has never played a Wii before picks up the 'mote. I find they are really not necessary in the vast majority of games out there.

How long have you had the Wii? It could just be the unfamiliarity with the system. When I first bought mine, I felt that way, especially with the strap. Once I got to know the games better I'd feel more confident with removing the strap and not worrying about it flying somewhere. I still use it with Wii sports, golf mostly. I think the initial worries occur being new to a game, that you'll have to use the remote in very aggressive ways. Once you get used to knowing that's not true, a level of comfort sets in and you can play leisurely.

I don't use the straps anymore, no matter what the game. If anyone new to the system comes over to play I get them to wear it straightaway, as I've seen the Wiimote fly off far too often.

BTW the free grips Nintendo are giving out seem to reduce grip but protect the controller... so to me its just swapped the problem, not really made solution.

I barely use the wrist strap anymore. I know what you mean because it's hell when the phone on your right rings and you try to answer with your left hand just because of a flimsy wrist strap. I say the strap is just for newbies, clutzes and toddlers.

whaaat?? it slips off in under a second if needed........u crazy!! lol but good idea on removing it, that could have caused problems. i removed mine too because i never have the urge to swing the remote hard enough to lose a grip on it, and only my girlfriend and i use the console and we are pretty casual with it

i feel you on the feeling tied down thing...

i keep the straps on the remote incase i need it on, usually first few hours of playing a new game...

the answering the phone thing was fairly difficult at first too. but mine was usually do to the fact i was afraid to let go of the remote, finally realizing its on a strap i just let it go and pick up the phone.

im like the vast majority, strap stays on the controller but i don't use it unless playing a game that i feel requires it. or if someone is playing that doesn't play often. i just ordered the new nintendo wii strap with the clip hoping this will make it faster to remove should solve the issue..

now as far as the new wii jackets, i put them on wiimotes that other people are playing, for fear that forget to strap it on their wrist if they do let it go its less likely to damage something...
those silicone jackets you can buy in walmart are just annoying when having to change batteries and such, i'm opting for the other options which is to either paint the remote or now they offer actual case replacements for the wiimote. which is also an option.

if the silicone thing is on their just for a color option anyways or a look of the remote then why not just replace the case or paint it, i personally like the white after having a ipod 1st gen u get used to it and then when i baught the 5g video ipod i went black and a few days later i wished i had gotten the white... and with the release of the new zune in black only its kinda dissapointing but oh well. white is just clean and looks fast. :)

at work we have a running joke were anyone wearing white shoes just looks fast :)

l8r

I just don't wear it.

For a second I thought you were gonna say that your baby was choking on the wrist strap or something 0_0.

iOwnage said:
I just don't wear it.

For a second I thought you were gonna say that your baby was choking on the wrist strap or something 0_0.

Hehehe...too much suspense in my writing I guess. No, nothing really bad has happened, but I could see it coming. I've got another one (baby) due in about two months, and I really don't need to feel any more tied down than that.

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that has felt this way about those straps--I'm not claustrophobic (usually), but with those straps on I feel like I'm just totally trapped.

Plus, like everyone is saying, unless playing Wii Sports, there's not really a need for it in most games. Honestly, the strap has never benefited me in any way. My wife, on the other hand...let's just say that I'm glad she wears the strap AND uses the jacket for the baby's sake.

i hear you on that, in wii sports i have slung a few times and said wtf lol in golf i actually use the strap as a benifit when swinging, wiimote does a complete flip around my arm depend what kinda hit im doing mostly on driving.

devitek said:
Hehehe...too much suspense in my writing I guess. No, nothing really bad has happened, but I could see it coming. I've got another one (baby) due in about two months, and I really don't need to feel any more tied down than that.

I am glad to know that I'm not the only one that has felt this way about those straps--I'm not claustrophobic (usually), but with those straps on I feel like I'm just totally trapped.

Plus, like everyone is saying, unless playing Wii Sports, there's not really a need for it in most games. Honestly, the strap has never benefited me in any way. My wife, on the other hand...let's just say that I'm glad she wears the strap AND uses the jacket for the baby's sake.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT PLAY WII NEAR UR WIFE......you might hit the baby

you might want to be careful when your wife plays wii you might get a black eye or two.

Back