question for people who have R4

Wii_BrEnDo2007

Gran Turismo
Jan 3, 2007
Ecosse
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
how many games can you hold on a 1GB sd?
getting mines at the weekend and just curious to know

Wii_BrEnDo2007 said:
how many games can you hold on a 1GB sd?
getting mines at the weekend and just curious to know

mine should be here tomorrow or the day after... but it would depend on the size of the games you want to put on ... on average most games are between 32mb and 64mb with the more rarer 16, 8 and 128mb ... on average you can put around 10-15 games on and probably have space for saves (not sure how big the moonshell app. is but you can always take that out if you need more room.)

well 1 gig is 1024 megs however any form of memory is NEVER how much they say it is (like my 160 gig HDD has only 152 gigs when fully formated) so i would assume you would have about 950megs of space for games and from what Clish is saying, you could probably fit 18-20 games (assuming you do actually own them of course!)

yeah with my R4 I have about 20 games or a lil less ,but once I'm tired of one i just put another in its place :D
but if ya ask me you don't need to have about 20 games ,I would be glad with about 3 - 5 games which i really like and would be pretty happy with that.
too much means - you play a game ,don't like it at first and just leave it. so I try to finish first some 3-5 games to replace them with something new.

I don't know yet myself, I just ordered my R4, problem is I live in the US (Ohio to be specific), and I ordered my R4 from a place in Hong Kong , China (Deal Extreme), which is not only halfway across the world from me, but since China is communist, i'm pretty sure that they will have to scan it before export, and with US customs, they may take their time, and mine just left the warehouse, so I won't be getting mine until like around the following week if not 2-4 weeks, you should be able to save at least 10 games if not more, but i would say at least 15 games on a 1GB card

Clish-I think moonshell is required to run multiple games on one card

Mitch2025 said:
well 1 gig is 1024 megs however any form of memory is NEVER how much they say it is (like my 160 gig HDD has only 152 gigs when fully formated) so i would assume you would have about 950megs of space for games and from what Clish is saying, you could probably fit 18-20 games (assuming you do actually own them of course!)

o_O they gave u a corrupted one ....i have 160gb and when i formatted it still said 160

zeon9881 said:
o_O they gave u a corrupted one ....i have 160gb and when i formatted it still said 160
Nope hes right 1024KB=1MB so really your HD is 160 but it would of been advertised for more.

The CD with the R4 can trim the roms down which saves space. Since games need to be 12MB, 24MB 52mb 128MB to run right there is most of the times junk data in the file. The R4 doesnt need the junk data for it to run so you can use trim it down.

It really depends on the games mine ranges from 15-20

Ever save file is also 512KB.

The moonshell is about 4MB-5MB, It also creates a 4MB file I believe.

Last edited:
zeon9881 said:
the reason most memory devices are not as big as advertised is because companies usually just round off each gig. so they rate each gig as 1000MB instead of 1024 and if you take 24MB off of each gig on a 160 gig HDD you have 3840MB that you dont get which is close to what i dont have when i format. ive only seen a few HDDs that actually are as big as they say

naw moonshell is only to play media files so i think you don't really need it if you don't want...i got my r4 yesturday and so far I put around 15 games with about 10 saves makingaround 7mb ... so i would just leave around 20mb for saves, and if you want to trim some of your games it would save even more space....

now concerning the idea that HDD's show different numbers.... when you buy an HDD saying it has 60gig's it has 60gigs, yes when you go check it with the proporties and such it might actually say something less than 60 (in terms of bytes) but it still equates to 60 .. some of you said so already 1mb = 1023bytes this means that there are actually more than 1000bytes in 1mb so it should be expected that when yo uhave 1gig which most people know as 1000mb or 1,000,000bytes but that is not correct ... if you have 1gig you have to factor in the extra 23 byte for every 1mb which adds up to around 23,000btes which is 230mb so when you check you will probably find that you have not 1,000,000 bytes but 999,770 bytes...now if you do this for an HDD for 120gigs... you get the picture...

so no the companies are not scamming you.... it is just they way the ratio's between each new unit is set and the simplistic way people are taught to remember what a gigabyte is (imagine trying to tell what a gig is.... "well.. a gigabyte is 999.770mb")

P.S. the companies don't just make 1gig 1000mb they still make it whatever it needs to be .. (999,770bytes)

Last edited:
I have an R4 and a 1 gig stick, I currently have 25 games on it and still have room for quite a few more

rite now i have 17 games and have around 200mb left

Games. 15-25 depending on if you trim or not and the game themselves. Some games are like 10mb, some are like 65mb, so it's really up to the games you put on there.

When you get it, definitely upgrade to 1.08 final.

gamechaser001 said:
I don't know yet myself, I just ordered my R4, problem is I live in the US (Ohio to be specific), and I ordered my R4 from a place in Hong Kong , China (Deal Extreme), which is not only halfway across the world from me, but since China is communist, i'm pretty sure that they will have to scan it before export, and with US customs, they may take their time, and mine just left the warehouse, so I won't be getting mine until like around the following week if not 2-4 weeks, you should be able to save at least 10 games if not more, but i would say at least 15 games on a 1GB card

Clish-I think moonshell is required to run multiple games on one card

I got mine from the same place, live in the UK and it took just under 3 weeks, however we did have two bank holidays where there was not postal service. My package wasn't opened by customs. The description on the back of the envelope said it was an LED flashlight and computer hub which slightly worried me for 2 seconds before opening it and finding the little bundle of joy that is the R4.

Back