Quick queston about wireless intronets

greenruse

aka jules
Dec 7, 2006
Clemson, SC
Hello all, long time lurker 1st time poster.

i live in a 2 story house (mainfloor & basement) and im living in the basement with a linksys router above my bedroom on the main floor. I use my laptop on my bed and get a low connection that works fine but my Wii is in my living room which is right outside my bedroom and my laptop gets no signal out there.

any suggestons on how to get a good connection in the living room?
(and "just hook it up in your room" wont work because my 37' HD tv is in the living room and isnt moving)

tyvm for helping
-wes

lets see, you could

1. buy another wireless router and put it downstairs..
2. run a wired connection dowstairs from your router to the wii(when the ehternet adapter comes out.

or get fancy

3. buy the nintendo wifi adapter, put your laptop in your room where it has a signal and put the wifi adapter in the usb of your laptop..that way the wii will be able to get the connection from the laptop.

so if i got the wifi adapter i would have to keep my laptop on all the time to have wiiconnect24 right?(would the wifi work if the laptop was on hybrinate?)

so my best bet would be another router then. Would i have to phisically connect the 2 routers or would the 2nd pick up the 1st ones signal?

bearing with me is greatly appreciated.

greenruse said:
so if i got the wifi adapter i would have to keep my laptop on all the time to have wiiconnect24 right?(would the wifi work if the laptop was on hybrinate?)

Yes (I'm pretty sure hybernate shuts down hardware and would not work)

so my best bet would be another router then. Would i have to phisically connect the 2 routers or would the 2nd pick up the 1st ones signal?

bearing with me is greatly appreciated.

I believe what you are asking about now is called a repeater. This is a device you would be able to put in your room and would pick up the connection from your wireless and rebroadcast it, the Wii should then be able to pick that up. (example: The wifi adaptor hooked into your laptop always on would do the exact same thing).

Another option is to run a cable from your other router down to your room. Then have a wireless router or access point in your room. It might take a hole in the ceiling/floor but your signal will be 10X better. It will be worth it. If there is a phone jack in your room, you could run it through the walls if you are familiar with inside wiring and drops and such.

-Bobby

Back