R-Type - how do I use a GameCube controller?

Blizzard

WiiChat Member
Dec 28, 2006
R-Type is supposed to support the Wiimote, Wii Controller and the GameCube controller, but how do I set it so that it uses the GameCube controller? I've tried all four sockets but no buttons register with R-Type.

The GameCube controller works fine with my Cube games on the Wii.

Can anyone advise please?

thanks

What brand is your gamecube controller? It needs to be a Nintendo made controller (not third-party) and it needs to be plugged into the port closest to the front of the Wii,

It's a third party controller, sold by game.co.uk - I don't understand why this won't work though, I mean is it simply not compatible or does the Wii interrogate the controller in some way and so prevent it from working if it doesn't like what it finds?

This seems rather silly if so.

Do you have any other VC games to try it on. Does it work when you play Gamecube games on the Wii.

And like was said earlier, be sure it's plugged into the jack closest to the front of the Wii.

Skippy said:
Do you have any other VC games to try it on.

No, not yet.

Does it work when you play Gamecube games on the Wii.

Yup - works fine with the GameCube version of Twilight Princess on the Wii.

And like was said earlier, be sure it's plugged into the jack closest to the front of the Wii.

That's where I have it plugged in.

BTW, apparently the Wavebird works fine with VC games.

Blizzard said:
It's a third party controller, sold by game.co.uk - I don't understand why this won't work though, I mean is it simply not compatible or does the Wii interrogate the controller in some way and so prevent it from working if it doesn't like what it finds?

This seems rather silly if so.

It's not compatible because it wasn't designed to work with the Wii. The only reason Nintendo brand GC controllers work is because they tested them with the Wii. They did not go out and test all the third-party controllers to guarantee compatibility cause they could care less since they aren't their hardware.

csiguy4u said:
It's not compatible because it wasn't designed to work with the Wii. The only reason Nintendo brand GC controllers work is because they tested them with the Wii. They did not go out and test all the third-party controllers to guarantee compatibility cause they could care less since they aren't their hardware.

While you're right that Nintendo doesn't guarantee compatibility, but still, he's been able to use it on other games played on the Wii. It seems specific to this virtual console game.

Skippy said:
While you're right that Nintendo doesn't guarantee compatibility, but still, he's been able to use it on other games played on the Wii. It seems specific to this virtual console game.

Exactly. . .just because it happens to work with some games doesn't mean it is 100% compatible. He just lucked out so far that it worked on all games except this one.

My WaveBird works just fine for R-Type. So does the Wiimote. So does the classic controller. I don't have any 3rd party controllers to test with it, though.

It needs to be a Nintendo made controller (not third-party) and it needs to be plugged into the port closest to the front of the Wii,
To clarify for everyone, though, it does not HAVE to be first-party. There has been talk of incompatibility, but I haven't read anything official or concrete. I have a Pelican 3rd party GC controller and it has worked fine.

Back