Rechargable batteries..

He is talking about the rubber like skins for them, not exactly what i would call a glove.

Wii17 said:
i aint spendin $2 on 4 batteries or $70 on a charger and $40 for 8 batteries.... yes i'm stingey
uhh... I posted a link above to an auction on eBay where you get 4 Duracell rechargeables and a recharger for $18.50 delivered. You definitely don't have to spend the sort of money you're talking about to get decent rechargeable batteries.

Ezekiel86 said:
They say use only Alkaline batteries because of the voltage output (1.5V) whereas rechargables only put out 1.2V which could result in irregular or incorrect Wiimote behavior. It's bollocks though, because if you're only supposed to use non-rechargables, you'll be buying batteries every freaking week!

I know about this for my digital photography. the cameras use up loads of power really quick, so I have to look around for high power cheap rechargables.

I use high powered rechargables 1.2v for everything except the clocks on the walls. Saves having to recharge every few days.

nearly all of non-rechargable batteries that say are high powered or heavy duty are about 1.4 to 1.8 amps (some actually put there ampage on the side - like 1800 or 1400 - and is sometimes in their code)

I'm sorry, I know this is gettin a bit geeky but please bare with me on this...

Ni-MH (nickel metal hydride) is very heavy duty up to 3 times more power than NiCd (Nickel Cadium - think thats what it is - not sure). U can get around 2700mHa (I think thats how its written???) from NiMH or 2.7 amps... the higher the ampage the longer the batteries will last. this is why most really high power rechargables are Ni-MH. But, the problem then is that you only get 1.2volts out of rechargables. the extra 0.3volts is basically taken care of with the really high ampage.

And you get about 1000 charges (supposedly) average with rechargables.

Your right tho. it is bollocks about buying batteries every week.

Hope it helps? :yesnod:

This link ** http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_ans_aa_2700x4.html ** is just to show you what I'm on about.

And some more crap about it so you can become a professor or geek about the subject if needs be :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NiMH

Last edited:
So the bottom line is that rechargeable batteries are fine to use in the wiimotes?

I'm using some duracell rechargeable 1800 mAh batteries now and they don't seem to be lasting as long as the batteries which came with the remote. I also have 2 pairs of 2650 mAh rechargeables which I haven't used for a full cycle yet. Should I expect the 2650 mAh batteries to last significantly longer than the 1800 mAh?

Well, yeah.. higher power will last longer at the same voltage.. rechargable = 1.2v normal disposable jobbies = 1.5v (which is the correct voltage for the wiimotes)

I'm not sure how it compares between 1.5v (say 1800mHa) and 1.2v (say 2400mHa) becasue the later extra 600mHa will theoretically be used up for the missing 0.3v between them... (I think that's how it works....?) Works in my head though (not batteries, that is! lol) and for a quick explanation.

But, yea.. higher power = longer.

And, don't take it as gospel, but I can't see there being a problem with rechargables (but I'm not a technician, and I'm no master of the wiimote either!)

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't remember any of the stuff I learned in school about volts, amps and ohms. As long as the 1.2 volt batteries I'm using aren't doing any damage I'll be happy. Otherwise I'll just have to throw the remote at a wall and return it, saying the strap broke ;)

Uniross Energizer 2300mHa NiMH in my wiimote. Not done any harm yet...

Back