Router Security

samXcor3

the best kid!
Oct 2, 2007
Wii Online Code
3732-3369-2853-4491
Hey I was just wondering if your router user name password is still admin/admin how do you change it? and also, if it ISNT changed, is that a threat to security?

if your router has a wireless connection, it is a threat to security.

read the manual. thats what they make support for. and i'm too lazy to type out the step by step instructions

i'm pretty sure it's been discussed also.

heymoe99 said:
if your router has a wireless connection, it is a threat to security.

read the manual. thats what they make support for. and i'm too lazy to type out the step by step instructions

i'm pretty sure it's been discussed also.
well my manual says insert installation disc, but thats only for windows and i have a mac.

You should be able to access the router firmware/OS/config via an internal only (non-routing) IP - usually in the 192.168.x.x range (this should be documented). Note if you have a way to display your IP setup and can find your [internal] gateway address, it should be this same IP.

You point a browser to that address (for example: http://168.192.0.1) and most home/office spec routers have a simple web based config system.

Note it's possible for most routers to provide the admin via your external IP as well, so it can also be a security issue on wire based networks!

Most routers are set up using your web browser, for which most need a PW to access. Your installation manual or CD should tell you the default e;g admin, 1234 whatever! The password can be changed from within this browser. Any PC on your network can access this and change your settings otherwise. Security to stop outside attacks via the Wifi is provided by activating ether WEP or WPA security by defualt this is turned off on many routers, if this is not activated then you basicaly have an open network which anyone in the area can conect to. If you have not activated your security and know do so you will also have to re configure all your devices that conect by WiFi.

the detailed manual can be found on the routers manufacturer website. it's a lot more detailed than "insert disk"
sorry i wasnt specific, my fault

Back