Safari 3 BETA

Star Striker said:
Its faster for me than Firefox and doesn't crash.
oh if it dosent crash thats good
but yah, AOL explorer was faster for me than FF but i like FF for its customizable options/addons and performance outside of speed

I love safari for windows. I now use it 95% of the time. The only thing that annoys me about using it on this site, is that the drop-down menu doesn't work when I click 'extras' like it does on IE7. Annoying.

Gaz said:
woow some of your facts are wrong. FF's market share is 33.7% as of last month. whilst safari has a 1.5% share.
'closed code' vs open source, doesn't make any difference to the standard or even advanced user.
Actually safari is 100% standard compliance, where as firefox is only about 95%.
Yup more developers, that also means more junk, safari has good extensions, firefox has some amazing extensions but trying to find those in the mess of all the crap ones is hard.

Safaris market share can be seen here
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=3&qpcustom=Safari
As of may its exactly 4.82

Safari is not 100% standard compliant, otherwise pages wouldn't need to have user agent detection and change the coding for it.
Open source does make a difference for the end user because it means bugs and vulnerabilities are discovered and patched sooner.
Your last statement sounds like you are saying less is better? No one forces you to install the junk firefox extensions.

ciper said:
Safaris market share can be seen here
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=3&qpcustom=Safari
As of may its exactly 4.82

Safari is not 100% standard compliant, otherwise pages wouldn't need to have user agent detection and change the coding for it.
Open source does make a difference for the end user because it means bugs and vulnerabilities are discovered and patched sooner.
Your last statement sounds like you are saying less is better? No one forces you to install the junk firefox extensions.
ok you wanna believe a company with a dodgy website, that gets it's stats from and i qoute 'We use a unique methodology for collecting this data. We collect data from the browsers of site visitors to our exclusive on demand network of small to medium enterprise live stats customers.' or http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp the people who basically look after the internet..

'These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.' you have to use a better source next time to get a better read.

news to me about safari not being standards complient browser, seeing as how it was the first browser to pass the acid2 test. if you don't know what that is, i would seriously advice you to get out this conversation with me, seeing as how this is my day job.

If we ignore all of the browser market share statistics for a moment how can you explain the percentage of Apple computers being significantly more than the percentage of users on Safari? Most Apple users are not using an old OS with an outdated version of IE that was included. Those running OSX have not switched away from the included Safari so that throws the 1.5% number into question.

Your day job is not impressive. Coding for the web is only slightly above graphic design students.

I do know what the acid2 test is and I want to show you a quote from the homepage

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/ said:
I’ve only just installed it on Windows XP, but it has frozen once and crashed once already. There are complaints of blurry fonts and security bugs. It’s not rendering the Acid2 test correctly. (In fact, it’s not rendering the WaSP site correctly either. I assume the same is true on the Mac, but can someone verify?

ciper said:
If we ignore all of the browser market share statistics for a moment how can you explain the percentage of Apple computers being significantly more than the percentage of users on Safari? Most Apple users are not using an old OS with an outdated version of IE that was included. Those running OSX have not switched away from the included Safari so that throws the 1.5% number into question.

Your day job is not impressive. Coding for the web is only slightly above graphic design students.

I do know what the acid2 test is and I want to show you a quote from the homepage
oh, so we are explictly talking about beta 3? because the engine behind it is far better than any avalibale on any other browser, and the engine is what renders the web pages? right?
WOAH!!!! just did the acid2 test with my safari, and HOLY COW IT WORKS!!!!!
must just be the current coding in the windows beta that is doing something out of the norm, so before you start talking down the first fully coherent web engine, think again.

back to an earlyer point, no less is not better, but it depends what you do with them that counts ;)

did i say what my job title is? i don't just make lil websites. far more. and my job is alot higher than graphics design.

Gaz said:
oh, so we are explictly talking about beta 3? because the engine behind it is far better than any avalibale on any other browser, and the engine is what renders the web pages? right?
must just be the current coding in the windows beta that is doing something out of the norm, so before you start talking down the first fully coherent web engine, think again.

back to an earlyer point, no less is not better, but it depends what you do with them that counts ;)

did i say what my job title is? i don't just make lil websites. far more. and my job is alot higher than graphics design.

Did you miss the reply where I said to use Swift? You are biased.

Nor do I.
"because the engine behind it is far better than any avalibale on any other browser, and the engine is what renders the web pages? right?"
Swift uses the same engine.

ciper said:
Nor do I.
"because the engine behind it is far better than any avalibale on any other browser, and the engine is what renders the web pages? right?"
Swift uses the same engine.
ok you miss read / i miss typed. of course if a browser uses the same engine then it is on par with the browser except for features. Shiira also uses the webkit engine, but it's features are different. because it uses the webkit engine, any swift user will be classed as a safari user on stat pages.

stop lying i look at the site itself and they say the windows safari does not render the acid2 test page properly. My FF doesnt work the rendering for the time being either, thats probably cause i have so much crap on it

I should admit I'm sorta biased against safari. I had been using macs for a while and the move away from IE just pissed me off. Apple is just as bad as microsoft for forcing its browser on the users. I hate its look and feel. The interface just confuses the hell out of me.

I've used firefox on mac os since it was in early versions because of this.

Hehe, it was really hard to spell the word Safari correctly in this thread. I usually jab at the users by typing Slowfari ;)

My point is that you shouldn't take what I say against safari too serious.

ciper said:
I should admit I'm sorta biased against safari. I had been using macs for a while and the move away from IE just pissed me off. Apple is just as bad as microsoft for forcing its browser on the users. I hate its look and feel. The interface just confuses the hell out of me.

I've used firefox on mac os since it was in early versions because of this.

Hehe, it was really hard to spell the word Safari correctly in this thread. I usually jab at the users by typing Slowfari ;)

My point is that you shouldn't take what I say against safari too serious.

I love safari for windows! Just like iTunes etc :)

Back