Scanlines on my LCD TV when I play my PS2

Maldo

WiiChat Member
Mar 15, 2011
Whenever I use my PS2 on my widescreen "21 LCD TV, I get heavy scanlines that are very noticeable and annoying!, alongside jagged textures on the games I (rarely) play nowadays.

I got my PS2 rigged with component cables and I get the scanlines, so I figured "Maybe it isn't really compadable with component cables", so I went back to using composite cables, and....still get thoze goddam scanlines!!!

My Wii and Gamecube never have this issue (aside from a meidum amount of jagges), even with composite cables equipped. Heck, even my PS1 and the 'ol N64 with composite cables don't produce noticeable scanlines (although they both display really bad picture quality).

So what gives? Does anyone else have this problem when they hook up their PS2 on an LCD TV? Could it be my unit (I have the old large pre-2003 model) or the TV?

Ah well, It looks like i'll dig through the basement for the old CRT telivision and use it for that (besides, KHII looks so much better on that then the
new LCD unit)

Also, I got one more thing to say. I heard older model PS3's that can play all PS2 & 1 games can upscale them to ether 720P or 1080P/i with an HDMI cable or component. Can it really do that or it only goes up to 480P/i when playing ps2/1 media on a ps3 w/HDMI/component?

...which brings me to another question regarding the PS3, does it still have the controler and memory card ports so you could use old PS2/1 controlers/memory cards on it? Or they did away with that so they could make you buy ANOTHER PS-F***N-2 or an (expensive) accessory for the PS3.

One more question, does using PS3 component cables make a difference in quality?

First I don't no whats wrong with your tv, i am 99.9% sure if you upscale the graphics it will look how it did when it came out

TNX for replying!

It's not my TV because the Wii dosen't do this even with it's compostie and component cables (in both 480i and 480P) equipped. My PS1, N64, and Cube with comoposite cables don't produce heavy scanlines like my PS2 does with component and even composite cables on. Whats going on?!!

I tried a different TV in the living room and it still does this. So I think it's the unit itself, but here's another thing....

Most of my PS2 games are 480i, so most of you guys think I don't have Progressive scan compadable games. But when I play Jak 2 & 3, and GT4 with 480P on (and even 1080I), it still the same the same picture quality as it were 480I.

Update: Apprently DVDs suffer from this too and have really grainy video quality simluar to PS1.

As I said before, will using PS3 component cables make a difference? I've heard it does from reviews on amazon for ones that were $1.00.

Aprently, I plan to get a component to hdmi converter for christmas, so that hopefully should solve my problems.

for those who own a LCD HDTV and play their ps2 on it, does anyone else have this problem?

Last edited:
Back