SD cards

gmi109

WiiChat Member
Oct 27, 2006
Does anyone know if any SD card will work or does it have to be a Nintendo Wii branded one? Also does anyone know if you can put downloaded game save on it with your computer and then be able to use it on the Wii?

*EDIT*

The reason I wanted to know about the second thing(putting data on using a computer and being usable) was because it might allow for hacks to be installed using a game exploit maybe. I don't want to be able to automatically get a full game save. I actually enjoy playing a game from beginning to end.

Last edited:
Meh...search around before posting.
1. Any SD card will work.
2. WTF..what good would that do you. I'm sure they will be Nintendo specified file types so no. The only sense I could think of is if like your friend got to this level, so he sent you the save over the computer and you got it..but thats most likley not possible.

Would Nintendo's SD card be any smaller than other brands?

I mean, like the 3rd party GameCube memory cards. My mum bought a crappy 8 MB one because that's what the people at EB gave her. It's about 2x as big as the Nintendo ones, and looks god-awful.

i like this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1124432966022&type=product

it looks cheap and has a lifetime....

about size im sure it will all be the same.

current SD card

img02.jpg

i like this one..

SDHC_8GB.jpg

$299. :mad5:

Last edited:
Well, SD is an existing standard, so it has to be the same as a normal SD card, otherwise it isn't an SD card because it doesn't fit the standard. As for cracking files, someone will eventually figure out the code and create Wii hacks. It is to be expected. No code is impossible to crack.

Wow, everyone is worried that the internal 512MB won't be enough. I'm sure you can play for a very long time on that. Game save files are very small, and that is a fair ammount of memory to be storing on. You don't need to go out and buy any memory on release day, and you may not years down the road. I don't think anyone will be using 8GB at any point in time.

Well, weren't there 512 MB memory cards for the cube? If I recall, they got filled up pretty quickly. I had to buy a second one. But I suppose it all depends on the game, and how well the developers make use of that space, in terms of save files.

Back