Sega: Nintendo Should Support Mature Gamers

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
According to wii.qj.net. Nintendo should get off there ass and masome mature video games.

Eat cake, shell scum!

Bloody Mario...

Speaking after the news that Sega is starting to have second thoughts at attempts to target older Wii gamers, following slow sales of other publishers' software and its own mature titles, the company believes that Nintendo should be trying to widen the market with its own 18 certificate games.

James Rebours, the CEO of Sega for France and Spain, has spoken about the lack of support from Nintendo, stating that the company has left the job of catering to mature gamers with third party publishers. He goes on to say that despite the potential to make good sales in this area, not everyone is keen on taking a risk with investment in such titles. Rebours believes that if Nintendo were to publish a mature game and back it up with a sustained television advertisement campaign, they would be able to increase the size of the market and probably make large sales. However, he thinks that Nintendo is a publisher who has mostly ignored this area, with games consistently aimed at the 3+ to 7+ age bracket.
heres the gamekult.com.

According to wii.qj.net. Nintendo should get off there ass and masome mature video games.

Eat cake, shell scum!

Bloody Mario...

Speaking after the news that Sega is starting to have second thoughts at attempts to target older Wii gamers, following slow sales of other publishers' software and its own mature titles, the company believes that Nintendo should be trying to widen the market with its own 18 certificate games.

James Rebours, the CEO of Sega for France and Spain, has spoken about the lack of support from Nintendo, stating that the company has left the job of catering to mature gamers with third party publishers. He goes on to say that despite the potential to make good sales in this area, not everyone is keen on taking a risk with investment in such titles. Rebours believes that if Nintendo were to publish a mature game and back it up with a sustained television advertisement campaign, they would be able to increase the size of the market and probably make large sales. However, he thinks that Nintendo is a publisher who has mostly ignored this area, with games consistently aimed at the 3+ to 7+ age bracket.
heres the gamekult.com.

Have you even HEARD of MAdWorld? It was made by the American division of SEGA and has been sais to be one of the bloodiest games made

Eat cake, shell scum!

Bloody Mario...

heres the gamekult.com.

Have you even HEARD of MAdWorld? It was made by the American division of SEGA and has been sais to be one of the bloodiest games made

did you read that, cuz clearly its stating poor sales no money = no games. & if theese frenchies wanted better sales, commericial your games or make one for the books. got to spend money to make money, although i would like bowser to finally kill peach

So the CEO of Sega France is asking Nintendo to pay it's hard earned money to develop a "Mature" game and spend its money on advertising??

So Nintendo should do the work for Sega?
Because Nintendo hasn't developed a "M" game it's effecting Segas sales??

Also Madworld's director had this to say:

"I think MadWorld was very well received and was acknowledged for its innovative graphical style and gameplay. We would definitely be interested in making a sequel in the future."

no i think it was more of them pointing out how nintendo doesn't even bother with the mature market, not them complaining about sales.

cause seriously, how does trhe fact nintendo ignoring the mature market affect sega's sales?

no i think it was more of them pointing out how nintendo doesn't even bother with the mature market, not them complaining about sales.

cause seriously, how does trhe fact nintendo ignoring the mature market affect sega's sales?

The Article Says:
"Speaking after the news that Sega is starting to have second thoughts at attempts to target older Wii gamers, following slow sales of other publishers' software and its own mature titles, the company believes that Nintendo should be trying to widen the market with its own 18 certificate games."

These developers act like Nintendo owes them something. If anything they still owe Nintendo. Nintendo is doing its job with the new Zelda, Metroid, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Mario Series....

I can understand what Sega are saying. Third parties don't want to take a risk creating a AAA mature Wii title that they would have to spend money on to advertise.

Instead they want Nintendo to produce a heavily advertised mature title that will sell and then they can sell inferior copies based on people wanting more. It seems to have worked for some other games, i.e. Wii Sports/Carnival Games, Wii Fit/EA Active, Mario Kart/countless kart copies.

It would help show people that there are other types of games available for the Wii other than Mario Kart, Wii Fit and NSMB though, so while it may sound lazy by third parties there is an element of sense to it.

I can understand what Sega are saying. Third parties don't want to take a risk creating a AAA mature Wii title that they would have to spend money on to advertise.

So Nintendo should do the work for them??

Caliko you are usually a smart guy so im not going to hammer you here ,but want this SEGA rep is saying is something ive been saying to my buddy for a long time.

Which is the fact that Nintendo needs to get off their family friendly high horse & make a few of their own mature titles to show third party publishers how its done on Wii ,and to show Nintendo fans that dont usually buy the third party games what their missing.

I think if Nintendo did their own survival horror game, fps, or twitch action game it would make the gamers who thrive on Nintendo only games something to thrist for after they get a taste of what nintendo did.

I mean how why can't Nintendo get Retro Studios, N-Space ,and Monolith (they own part of that company dont they) to make games of this caliber.

I mean they made a great start with Disaster ,but yet they dont bother to give it a global release.

third party is trying (to a point) ,but Nintendo needs to step in ,and show the mass majority of the wii market who aren't hardcore gamers like us that its okay for wii to have these kind of games.

Also lets get one thing straight. I'm not talking about Nintendo making a game with tons a blood, guts, sex ,and swearing. That DOES NOT make a mature/core game. I'm talking about games that dont have a bunch of fuzzy creatures with big eyes running around. Give us a story in a game thats Nintendo style ,but is grown up. Nintendo wants to attract all kinds of gamers well start investing in new IPs that appeal to this under privileged market on wii.

So Nintendo should do the work for them??

In a way, yes. Sony and Microsoft aid in the promotion of 3rd party titles on their systems but Nintendo really hasn't, other than showing them on the Nintendo channel.

Hopefully Nintendo will be heavily promoting Monster Hunter Tri as I believe that they are handling all the marketing for Capcom and then they continue to help promote other quality 3rd party titles.

There is also the knock on effect that I was talking about in my previous post. If Nintendo published a huge quality mature title that could get Wii owners excited then it could help the 3rd parties, as when people enjoy a certain type of game they often start looking for similar games and so they may possibly pick up 3rd party stuff that they otherwise would have ignored.

I mean they made a great start with Disaster ,but yet they dont bother to give it a global release.

It is very sad that the two mature titles that Nintendo has published haven't been given global releases (Disaster and Fatal Frame). They were amongst my most anticipated Wii games when they were announced but it seems that Nintendo doesn't think that they'll sell in western markets.

Caliko you are usually a smart guy so im not going to hammer you here ,but want this SEGA rep is saying is something ive been saying to my buddy for a long time.

Which is the fact that Nintendo needs to get off their family friendly high horse & make a few of their own mature titles to show third party publishers how its done on Wii ,and to show Nintendo fans that dont usually buy the third party games what their missing.

I think if Nintendo did their own survival horror game, fps, or twitch action game it would make the gamers who thrive on Nintendo only games something to thrist for after they get a taste of what nintendo did.

I mean how why can't Nintendo get Retro Studios, N-Space ,and Monolith (they own part of that company dont they) to make games of this caliber.

third party is trying (to a point) ,but Nintendo needs to step in ,and show the mass majority of the wii market who aren't hardcore gamers like us that its okay for wii to have these kind of games.

Also lets get one thing straight. I'm not talking about Nintendo making a game with tons a blood, guts, sex ,and swearing. That DOES NOT make a mature/core game. I'm talking about games that dont have a bunch of fuzzy creatures with big eyes running around. Give us a story in a game thats Nintendo style ,but is grown up. Nintendo wants to attract all kinds of gamers well start investing in new IPs that appeal to this under privileged market on wii.

Why doesn't Sega step up?? I mean Nintendo owns the top selling and most critically acclaimed games in history. Why do they need to go out of their way to impress developers??

This is like the tail wagging a dog.

So Sega wants Nintendo to step it up to attract "hardcore" gamers to their games? Spend their money and valuable time?? OK, what about we put Zelda on hold to make a "mature" title so Sega can in turn make more sales for their games.

Halo 3 sales(highest selling game on 360): 8.1M
Gran Turismo 5 sales(highest selling game on PS3): 4.1M

When Wii Fit which is a $100 title outsells both Halo3 and GT5 Nintendo is obviously doing something right.

Now if Nintendo hires a third party to make a game for them then that's cool. But it certainly isn't up to Sega and it ESPECIALLY isn't a strategy to help 3rd party "Mature titles".

EDIT: I'm stopping here because I'm afraid we're getting closer and closer to a Hardcore Vs. Casual debate. Stopping myself first.

its not hardcore vs casual debate caliko. I'm sad to see you are missing the point.

Nintendo is doing something right in terms of selling their expanded market games & classic franchise games to the exsisting market ,but they are ignoring a market who wants adult storylines ,and some violent action (once again not refering to blood gore & swearing i'm refering to shooting guns in an fps thats killzone/halo style ,and so on)

Sega, EA, and Capcom all tried to step up and put mature content on Wii. Grant it most of it was either half ass ports, rail shooters ,or etc. They at least put some kind of adult content forward. There problems are though they didnt market the games well ,and they fell into the stereotypes of what a "mature"/"core" game is.

I'm not asking Nintendo to step up at market Dead Space for EA ,or Madworld for SEGA what i'm asking for is that Nintendo recongize this market as the 3rd parties are "trying" to do ,and create some new IPs focused on this.

Nintendo needs to realize every new IP they make doesnt have to be plumbers bouncing on turtles, or cute lil plants that live on far away planets. Grant it the games that stem from these IPs are great ,and enjoy them a great deal.

BUT Nintendo needs to expand their profolio of IPs just as they are trying to expand the gaming market.

I mean hell who owns the rights to Eternal Darkness? Why cant Nintendo make a new game under that IP. Why not a spirtual successor to Geist.

Its times like these i wish Nintendo still had Rare under their wing. Then Nintendo would have their own FPS franchise on Wii in the form of Perfect Dark.

I wish they would go back to their 64 days a bit by making & publishing more adult content remember these are the guys who published Goldeneye Perfect Dark & Jet Force Gemini back in those days.

The games don't have to be mature, we just want real games. Sure, Wii Fit sells more than the others, but it's also a load of crap. Yeah maybe they're all filthy rich now but that's not what game design used to be about.

heres the gamekult.com.

did you read that, cuz clearly its stating poor sales no money = no games. & if theese frenchies wanted better sales, commericial your games or make one for the books. got to spend money to make money, although i would like bowser to finally kill peach

Heh, there's one on my sig that Bowser finally got Peach.=P

Back