Should the Wii console be visible?

RJU690

WiiChat Member
Mar 31, 2007
Atlanta
I placed my Wii console in the cabinent next to the television so it is completely invisible. I noticed that its maximum effective range was about nine feet which is pretty short compared to all of my friend's Wiis. Does the location of the Wii console affect the range of the Wii remote or does the location of the sensor bar only matter?

I don't suggest you put your wii in a cabinet since it will get too hot. I think, even in the manual, it says do not put the wii on a closed space. I would find a way to put it outside.

I thought that the sensor bar doesn't communicate with the Wii. Doesn't the sensor bar send out infrared signals which the Wii remote picks up and then sends the information wirelessly to the Wii console itself? If this is the case, the location of the Wii should affect the range of the Wii remote.

paintba||er said:
The cabinet could block off the BT signal, but I really doubt it. Have you tried messing around with the sensitivity settings?

Yes and the default setting works the best. I think my sensor bar is just defective so I'll see if I can get a replacement.

RJU690 said:
Yes and the default setting works the best. I think my sensor bar is just defective so I'll see if I can get a replacement.
Actually it's very easy to see if that's the problem, look at your sensor bar through a digital camera or a cel phone camera, it should have 5 infrared bulbs in each side. If you see them all then it isn't your sensor bar, turning those bulbs on is all it does, there's no information going throught the cable or onto the wiimote. I'd rather think that the wiimote is defective, it would make more sense to me, but I highly doubt it. I suggest you check your sensor bar anyways. :)

uh, cabinet blocking BLUETOOTH should be minimal. Are you sure that your sensor bar is pointed horizontally? I don't know why you would want to hide your awesome looking wii in the first place.

Tell us what part of a game only goes to nine feet. (pointing or otherwise)

It affects all games including the Wii menu. When I purchased the package from Walmart it was dented and cracked and one side was smashed. Yes, I know it was a stupid purchase but I was desperate for a Wii! I have already returned the Wii and I'm not going to buy a knew one unless the packaging is perfect. My low range probably has something to do with this.

I still suggest you take out the wii out of the cabinet, and maybe check for interference around you room, especially if you have a cellphone with bluetooth enable (just in case).

does the hand vibrates on the wii menu by any chance?

Back