Smoking causes Wii disc read problems?

This thread is a total DUR!, Its like saying sex with a prostitute = Penis problems.

Some people will delude themselves and believe anything it takes to allow them to justify doing something they know deep down is bad for them. One way or another, they're going to do whatever they want, even if it means convincing themselves the earth is flat or the sun rises in the west.

josh85 asked a question and has been given the truth. I guess it's going to be a given that the pro-smoking addicts are going to come out of the woodwork and sell their snakeoil to try and contradict the painfully-obvious and ridiculously-simple truth, and somehow make smoking+Wii seem "ok".

Whatever. Kill your Wii, I don't care. It's your $300. Smoking makes you live longer so it must be good for the Wii. It floats, too. Throw it in a bucket of water. It'll be fine.

*Newscaster Music*
This just in. Smoke of the right kind makes games more fun. If catch my drift.
Just like second hand smoke kills vans of children, of course the smoke will damage the optics. Its not like smoke will help the wii. Of course there is a Wii at the bar that i regular and its been running fine. Maybe it just needs a drink to go with that smoke.
And yeah the Air does flow through the Wii so maybe you should buy a oxygen tank and buy a glass case for the wii to. Cause Global Warming man. It's comming.
-I didn't come from the "Woodworks with snakeoil", i came from the bowels of Hell with a keyboard and mouse. (And my NES gun)-

Has anyone tried smoking a Wii?

Last edited:
Well I wasn't trying to insult, hence the emotes.

I'll admit I did not know that a fan is still running when it's in standby mode.

Though, I'd find it hard to believe that a simple plastic bag over the wii or something similar that still allows airflow but filtering it, would have any risk of overheating when it's in standby mode.

I suppose you can argue this point all you want, but to me it's fairly logical.

*shrugs* I was only trying to help. Most people that smoke understand it's unhealthy and typically want to quit, but it's easier said than done.
Helping with little remedies like this is at least a bit more productive than saying "it's bad for your lunges" or "just quit".

:yikes:

Skitz0 said:
I'd find it hard to believe that a simple plastic bag over the wii or something similar that still allows airflow but filtering it, would have any risk of overheating when it's in standby mode.

I suppose you can argue this point all you want, but to me it's fairly logical.
Well, to everyone else it's rather logical that if you cover up the ports and vents, you don't allow the Wii to cool itself, resulting in it overheating and hardware damage. If you cover the Wii but leave the vents and ports uncovered, then your cover isn't doing a bit of good keeping smoke out from the inside of the Wii. If you have a cover with air filters, it'd have to be extremely fine and good filters to filter out the microscopic particulate matter in smoke which causes the problems. We're not talking simple dust here.

If you look at the System Stacker, it's useless as a dust cover. It's just meant to make it easier to organize your stuff.

You can't have it both ways. I've seen people suffocate and kill their computers too trying to follow the same logic as you: cover it to keep the dust out. A dead Wii is worse than a dirty Wii.

2muchVCs said:
It makes plenty of sense for smoke to completely ruin your Wii.
I remember when we first moved into our home, I spent hours scrubbing the thick film of smoke off my bedroom walls. It was terrible. If it sticks to the Wii as bad as it does to walls, that can be a big problem later on.
Yeah but wheres the line between good practices with electronics and making electronics that can handle a normal enviroment. I've looked at a few of those docks also but I'll put my system on its side when manufacturers stop selling them standing up

sremick said:
Well, to everyone else it's rather logical that if you cover up the ports and vents, you don't allow the Wii to cool itself, resulting in it overheating and hardware damage. If you cover the Wii but leave the vents and ports uncovered, then your cover isn't doing a bit of good keeping smoke out from the inside of the Wii. If you have a cover with air filters, it'd have to be extremely fine and good filters to filter out the microscopic particulate matter in smoke which causes the problems. We're not talking simple dust here.

If you look at the System Stacker, it's useless as a dust cover. It's just meant to make it easier to organize your stuff.

You can't have it both ways. I've seen people suffocate and kill their computers too trying to follow the same logic as you: cover it to keep the dust out. A dead Wii is worse than a dirty Wii.
yeah the only way to do what your looking for is to get a clean room going but that would make you a total nerd and phsychopath

josh85 said:
Yeah but wheres the line between good practices with electronics and making electronics that can handle a normal enviroment. I've looked at a few of those docks also but I'll put my system on its side when manufacturers stop selling them standing up
A smoke-filled room is not a "normal environment".

As you have already been told: normal dust is easily cleaned out, and is at a much-lower level than smoke particulates. Smoke residue, on the other hand, is not only more-prevalent in the air but is extremely sticky and does not just blow out or dust off.

If smoke and dust were equal, then non-smokers' lungs would look the same as smokers' lungs, from all the dust in the air. That is not the case.
smokerslung.jpg

yeah the only way to do what your looking for is to get a clean room going but that would make you a total nerd and phsychopath
Go off the deep end much? That's hardly what I said or suggested. You asked if smoking was bad for the Wii. It is. Covering it is also bad, as it needs to draw fresh air through itself to stay cool.

We're trying to help. If you don't want the truth and are just going to exaggerate when you hear it, then don't ask the question. Obviously you care more about smoking than your Wii and would only accept "hey, go ahead! It's fine!" to justify smoking, so do what you'd like. Like I said, it's your nickle.

sremick said:
A smoke-filled room is not a "normal environment".

As you have already been told: normal dust is easily cleaned out, and is at a much-lower level than smoke particulates. Smoke residue, on the other hand, is not only more-prevalent in the air but is extremely sticky and does not just blow out or dust off.

If smoke and dust were equal, then non-smokers' lungs would look the same as smokers' lungs, from all the dust in the air. That is not the case.
smokerslung.jpg

Go off the deep end much? That's hardly what I said or suggested. You asked if smoking was bad for the Wii. It is. Covering it is also bad, as it needs to draw fresh air through itself to stay cool.

We're trying to help. If you don't want the truth and are just going to exaggerate when you hear it, then don't ask the question. Obviously you care more about smoking than your Wii and would only accept "hey, go ahead! It's fine!" to justify smoking, so do what you'd like. Like I said, it's your nickle.
ok man chill out I wasn't trying to be mean. and BTW I ventilate my room if you think I don't know the dangers of smoking than your dumb not my fault. I didn't even say that Nintendo failed at making a quality system just simply asked where the line is between good practices and good manufacturing. the clean room thing was a total joke and I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor. do yourself a favor and stop taking things so seriously and thanks for all the info

EDIT:Sorry to all the other actually helpful people I was just trying to confirm or deny what I had heard. Thanks for all of your input I just hope my next thread is more enjoyable!

Last edited:
sremick my lungs look like the one on the right man. sweet eh??

Last edited:
Back